Thread: 9.3 x 62 powder suitability

Default 9.3 x 62 powder suitability

As I sit waiting for my brass to arrive, I am wondering about the most suitable powder. Two of my manuals list h414 as top powder, one RL 15 with 2 not even mentioning RL15. Manuals are a little older. I like RL 15, have not used h414 but would prefer not to use a sperical powder. I would prefer a hogdon extreme powder if one is suitable.

So what do you more experienced folks use? for 286 nosler, 270 speer and maybe 250 accubond. I'm excited to get this thing in to action soon.

Cheers

I could only recommend one powder for you and thats Norma 202

Quote Originally Posted by svehunter View Post
    I could only recommend one powder for you and thats Norma 202
    a fella from Sweden-good answer.

I am new to this caliber and have taken 1 grizz with this 9,3x62 with RL15 and Nosler 286 Partition. This powder works well in my .338-06 and .30-30AI too. For that Mauser of mine I stocked up on 250 TSX, 286 Ornyx and 286 Partitions- presumably good bullets for what I shoot.

My 9,3 is in hand now and suspect it to be so for quite some time. By the way the reports I too have gained is that H414 is a good powder too but not like the Alliant RL15 but......all is debatable.

Learning to just favor this caliber! Complete penetration-not surprising though.

regards,

N135 worked very well for me but Varget is the most accurate powder in my 9.3x62 and works well with bullets from 232grains to 286s.

Default 9.3 Mauser

See my note in shooting section.

H414 is a good powder... velocity versus pressure. African Hunter had an article on H414 as THE powder for 9.3. 63-64 grains works for both the 250 Barnes and the 270 Speer.

4064 also works well. Varget didn't give good accuracy for me... 748 did but slower speeds.

Being a VV fan... I really haven't shot any workup loads with N135. N140 didn't do great...

Each rifle is different.

RL 15 was a hands down winner in my .35gibbs, so i expect it will work well here. I hope a search will reveal that African Hunter article. Replies are varied so i guess some experimenting is in order. Cups of coffee and a couple of afternoons at the range..a tragedy!

Default reloader 15

After 4 years of shooting a CZ550 in 9.3 I can heartily reccommend Reloader 15. If I had to pick only 1 powder--this would be it.. All bullet weight from the 232 to 300 gr have performed
    admirably for me without any problems. Also, if you want to make some inexpensive brass-I find Federal 30-06 to be fine and long lasting. One pass thru the dies and I have no problem.
    There is no need to trim, since the sizing and necking up takes up the 1mm extra length-also I have not had any problems with the mouth of the case not being square. The best part-
    I have not lost a case-even with good solid loads. Federal brass is good quality!
    Sorry to be so late--living inside,eating regularly and sleeping takes up so much time !

Default 9.3

RL 15 works great. Look up (Loads that Work) by John Barnes his recomendations worked
    great and were pressure tested. I used RL 15 in both 286 gr & 250 gr loads great accuracy & velocity.

There are a few 9.3x62 threads here and I'll roll them all together.

I have loaded for the 9.3x62, and several other 9.3's. The 62 is an icon of a caliber and is an extremely useful caliber for many applications. It has the ability to penetrate like a freight train with it's many "normal" weight bullets. The heaviest bullet I've used in this one has been the 300 grain from Swift and Woodleigh. I don't think an advantage could be gained by using anything heavier. I have watched on two occasions when my handloads exited two different cape buffalo bulls from two different guns. Both bullets were the 300 grain Swift A-frame. Muzzle velocity was about 2350 fps.

That being said, we move to powder. RL-15 with 57.0 grains as a maximum will push the 300 grain to 2350 from a 23.6" barrel. The 286 grain can be driven to 2400 with this powder and these loads are safe and under maximum working pressure. Norma N203B is also a very good choice and will top out at 58.0 grains with the 286 grain and 2400 fps. This would probably be the best for heavier bullets of 286 to 320 grains, I'd try 53.0 grains and work up with the 320. N202 is a great powder for this one with 250 to 286 grain bullets and would proabaly be the single best powder for bullets of that weight. You would want to go to the slower suitable powders for 320 grain bullets and Vihta N140 would also be a good try or better yet N540 or even N550. These last two are higher energy powders and sometimes help when the case is full of powder. We really cannot get enough of the 4350's in the case to reach top velocity with this one.

I don't consider Barnes X's to be suitable for the 2400 fps realm and have witnessed pencil sized exit holes on some tough skin animals. I've seen at least one spectacular kill at about 80 yards with the Barnes X from the big brother 9.3x64 with its 400 fps edge. I have never recovered a 9.3 caliber bullet...there must be something wrong with the caliber.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?