Thread: tangle lakes

Default tangle lakes

what are all the requirements for the tangle lake. Fires,waste,camping

hi,

the best thing to do is to contact the BLM office in Glennallen:

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/fo/gdo.html

mostly common sense and the golden rule is the best thing to go by. ie, leave your campsite as you would like to find it.

here are some methods i use:

1. bury your poop (do so a decent distance, 100' or more, from where people would put up their tents.) and burn your TP. (if there are lots in the group, maybe 10-12, bring a portable toilet.)

2. if there is an established fire ring use it rather than creating a new one.

3. if you use rocks to tie down your tent (not a bad idea on the often windy Tangle Lakes), then scatter the rocks, slightly, so that someone would think, "hey, some rocks i can use to tie down my tent", rather than, "gheez, look at all these tent rings".

4. pick ALL the trash out of the fire's ashes the next morning and haul it out with you. (even the little folded-up pieces of foil from those candies the kids had.)

5. don't rape and pillage the land looking for firewood. better, bring some with you. tangles is pretty much above treeline and the few spruce that struggle to survive there look really ugly when some yahoo has chopped off all their lower branches.

as an aside, an editorial rant:
    Tangle Lakes, the Gulkana River, their associated trails and to a less degree the Delta River may seem like "the wilderness" to folks who are new to alaska. they are certainly wilderness by lower 48 standards, but by alaskan standards they are closer to Central Park in NYC. these resources get, relatively speaking, large numbers of visitors and are seriously impacted by those visitors. please take the time to treat them like they belonged to you. oops, that's right, they do!

-mike

Default thanks

alot for the info im planning on doing this trip in september. should on pln on there being alot of traffic from moose hunters or others people or will most people have stop doing this trip by september??

Traffic is not bad at all then. Good grayling fishing in tangle too. No trees though so bring lots of wood and good gear
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Another thing you should be aware of is that it's an archeological district and illegal to poke around looking for stone tools or pick up any you see laying on the surface.

Default wildlife

what kind of wildlife am i most likey to see up there?looking to get some good pictures of some moose. is there much for moose or bears or caribou up there??

There are some moose and bears but i have always seen a ton of bou butts running around all over up there

are there any monster bou or moose up there that wont be skitish from be hunted hard for closer pics??or any bulls you could get some good pics of??

I have seen huge bulls up there just off the road. Within 100 yards. I have snuck up on them as close to 50 yards. Usually they have thier ladies with them and are more interested in them if your quiet and take your time. I come in from the Paxson side. I see alot of bou's from there up to the Mcclaren river lodge. If you stop at the lodge susy and allen make a great meal and have hot showers for like 5 bucks. They were june and I witness's at our wedding on the deck over looking Tangle lake. The bou are moving so somedays nothing other days hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbsalbert View Post
    The USA citizen use to hunt for their needs. The use helicopter to go into the forest and so down to the striking distance to hunt the animals. They use to store more equipment to safeguard themselves from the animals. They are the one who often use to hunt animals.

--------------------------
    Gibbsalbert

social media marketing
    Huh?? Your point related to the Tangle Lakes thread is what, exactly?

Thumbs down what

I shot that post in to the mods to look at it this am. It was the first post by this person and it looked kind of iffy to me. I guess they did not think so but it makes no sense to me at all about anything

Default Helicopters and canoes

Yeah... I saw that this morning and wondered what was coming next.
    It just surprises me that someone would go to the trouble of signing up on a outdoor directory to give such convoluted garble..
    Its history and I think the new poster is also.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com