Thread: SW 460 Bullet recommendations

Default SW 460 Bullet recommendations

Been searching the forum for recommendations on SW 460 bullet recommendations for bear. Most people seem to be carrying the 500 or a 454......Any suggestions

Right now I have Hornady 200's, figured I should get into the 300 range.

I was trying to stay away from cast bullets since I had them lead my barrel in my DW 445SM.

Thanks

I don't have a .460 and have no idea how heavy a bullet it will stabilize with it's rifling. But I would be trying 300 to 350 gr hard cast WFN boolits.
    Having leading problems usually is from buying cheap cast boolits with the wrong diameter and lube. Many are bevel base too, not good. Even premium boolits like lasercast can lead the bore because they can be too hard for the fit to the throats. They are a one size fits all deal.
    Go to many of the good boolit makers and you can order the diameter you need for your gun. Alloys and lubes are better.
    Millions of us shoot cast with zero problems, super accuracy and kill everything with them.
    I will never go back to jacketed.
    And you don't have to crank that gun to as fast as you can go. 1200 to 1400 fps with the right boolit will leave nothing standing.

Good advice from bfrshooter. Either Cast Perfiormance or Beartooth make a 395 grain flat-nose that I understand works real well with the gain twist used in the .460. I have shot everything from 300 - 400 grain bullets in my .454 and would look for a good hardcast in the upper weight range personally. I'll never go jacketed again either.