Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting The 338 300 Graion SMK

Default Shooting The 338 300 Graion SMK

I made a stand out of square tube to drive into the ground that holds my 12" circle gong. I never ever had a problem with this set up and it is easy to transport. The 338 Laupa shooting the 300 Grain SMK will rotate the tube 90 degrees in the ground when hit at 300 yards. Today I set this up at 600 yards with my 4'X4" foot target board behind the gong to show the bullet location in case of a miss. Muzzle velocity is 2820 fps

This is a picture of the target at 600 yards on 12 power optical zoom

My shooting bench (tool box on my truck bed)

Results of the first shot

Hit location on the gong

Fun with the new toy? Enjoy!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Shooting The 338 300 grain SMK

My new tri-pod target holder, it works quite well as we all knew it would

One shot one hit, I stretched the distance as far as I can here. The target speaks for it's self

Untill you jump up in optics, your not going to see what your new Lap-Ou -Wa can really do, way far and gone.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Nice shootin' on that mini! You have a big bean field.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Untill you jump up in optics, your not going to see what your new Lap-Ou -Wa can really do, way far and gone.

Big Al, what would you sugest?

Thanks, Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    Big Al, what would you sugest?

Thanks, Murphy
    It really depends on how far you want to shoot that long tom. and more importantly how deep are your pockets. I don't much care for vary heavy scopes, but that's because of weight limitations in competition. However with your rifle and what you want to do with it, (I guess) I would look at Nightforce. If you need a cheaper option I can link you into a different brand that is much cheaper and reliable. I know of a fellow on the east coast that is having a big discounted sell. You could call or e-mail him. He also sells good used scopes and this is another option for you to think about. Your not going to ring as many bells, long long away at low power.

Nice outfit, another vote for the Nightforce here.

You guy's don't think that the S&B 5X25 PMll that's on it is going to work?

I'm thinking it will work just fine.

You should see what some people can do at 1k with a fixed 6.

I know of a fellow on the east coast that is having a big discounted sell. You could call or e-mail him.
    Al, Not to hijack the thread but would you mind sending me a PM w/ your East Coast contact for scopes....I'm in the market for a used Schmidt & Bender 1-6 by 42 at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Ah, Al, are you familiar with S&B? They are actually a step up from the Nightforce scopes.........in fact jwp has a Nightforce on his .300 win mag and while it is one bad mofo of a scope, the S&B is even nicer.......check it out!!

I left the 738 yard impact on the target when I set it out the first shot hit it right of center and high, just like the 738 yards shot. The next shot landed just barley over the target by a very small amount. I printed a drop chart with a .800 BC and it called for .1 Milrad less than when using the Sierra listed BC of .768. I calculated that this would lower the impact 2.5416" at 706. I fired the next round and here is the result

Quote Originally Posted by Ex1811 View Post
    Al, Not to hijack the thread but would you mind sending me a PM w/ your East Coast contact for scopes....I'm in the market for a used Schmidt & Bender 1-6 by 42 at a good price.
    Me too. I keep my eyes pealed for any used S&B.

Here's the link, Bob White is a great guy to deal with and few better in the world for building accurate rifles. Clck on the "list" scroll down to the bottom of the page to find scopes. You will loose your eye sight reading all the neat stuf on the PDF page.

http://www.benchrest.com/shooterscorner/

Call this guy and ask about used S&B scopes.

http://www.eurooptic.com/schmidt-ben...SB&parent=N1XX

Careful with this guy, he'll try to send you a new one to try out and either send it back or send him the money. Guess how hard it is to just send it back?

No Sir, I'm humbled. I bow to that scope, You are good to 2K.

The color rendition of S&B optics is what makes them the best. I have been wondering how many Leupold I'm going to have to sell to buy there new bench rest scope. I'm ready to part with all my Leupold's, just to get that scope.

The reason I have given up suggesting S&B is because they are way more money than just about anybody is willing to spend. I don't blame anyone for backing away from S&B. They are just insane in price.

Thank you, Al, you scared me there for a moment! You are very correct about the S&Bs being more than a little cost prohibitive!

You all know how much I like S&B.....Well, I found a Klassic 1.5-6 in 99% condition on ebay and won the bid for 900.00.

Merry Christmas and happy birthday all at once!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    You all know how much I like S&B.....Well, I found a Klassic 1.5-6 in 99% condition on ebay and won the bid for 900.00.

Man you scored big!

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post

Congradulations

Default Shooting the 338 300 Grain SMK

A pair shot today at 975 yards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast