Thread: Building on a stripped action

Default Building on a stripped action

Can a 7mm mag. action be built up into a 375 H&H. I have just the bare action and want to build something along that line.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Akonthefly View Post
    Can a 7mm mag. action be built up into a 375 H&H. I have just the bare action and want to build something along that line.

Thanks guys
    No, not a .375 H&H, but you can do a vary easy build of a .358 NORMA mag. No animals you will ever shoot will be able to tell the difference. I promise.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Very interesting ill have to look into that

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    No, not a .375 H&H, but you can do a vary easy build of a .358 NORMA mag. No animals you will ever shoot will be able to tell the difference. I promise.
    Wrong. His action would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Wrong. His action would work.
    Beside a rebarrel, there is notheig elase he has to do? Please Matt tell us how that works?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Beside a rebarrel, there is notheig elase he has to do? Please Matt tell us how that works?
    Pretty much Darreld summed it up. Plus, both cartridges use the same bolt face. Simple re-barrel.

Default WHICH stripped action? Makes a BIG difference...

I've done a conversion from 7mm Remington Mag to .375 H&H on a 700 BDL, and also on a controlled feed, M70 Winchester 'Classic', going from .300 Winchester to .375 H&H. Both conversions used take-off barrels.
    The Remington barrel rolled on, the sights lined up, and the headspace was just about perfect. No magazine mods, used the old follower. The barrel contour was a bit different, but ended up putting it in a Remington plastic stock anyway.

The Model 70 job required knocking the spacer out of the magazine box, acquiring a new follower, and cutting the ejector back. Again, the barrel indexed up and headspace was 'right', but the Winchester barrel contour is a LOT bigger, and ended up taking quite a bit of wood out of the forearm to make it work in the stock we had.

I've used an FN 98 to do this job, but it was originally set up for a .270 Winchester. By the time I paid to have the magazine lengthened, the bolt face and extractor modified, acquired a new follower, and had the rails milled, I could've bought a new CZ 550!

Most of the other actions that I've seen that were originally set up for the 'short' (by 1958 standards) magnums are the same length as '06, and take a BUNCH of work to make into a useable piece.

Again, what action is it that you're contemplating using?

For the Remington there is a bunch of different part numbers for the change. I just checked on line with Brownells. A standard length Remington action does not have the port length on the bottom, yes it can be machined to except the longer magazine box and follower.

The older Winchester from standard could be re-machined and different mag box and follower, bolt face opened up.

A .300 H&H conversion in the 700 to the .375 H&H would be like falling off a log. Same with the old model 70.

Before we get any further into this, it would be nice to know what action he has?

Take note of the Mauser actions made up as .300 or .375 actions. Not only is there a vary large under cut for the mag box, but there is a notch cut in the rear of the top receiver ring for clearence of the bullet nose.

What work (if any) is involved depends on what action the poster owns.

Its a Remy 700 BDL. Just the action and bolt every thing else I took off and dumped as it was shot previous owner abused the gun. The action and bolt are in good shape though. I'm just looking to throw a 20 inch barrel or so on and use it to throw in the boat. Thanks for all your help guys.

On a Remington 700 you can have it rebarreled easily with no other modifications required.

I'd go to midwayusa.com and get your barrel ordered up. They sell a lot of Douglas barrels, which are pretty good.

If you are one of the guys that have a barrel vise, action wrench and headspace gages on hand, your good to go. Akonthefly, you do have all these things on hand, don't you?

Thanks guys
    Yes it can but may take a lot of work. You don't really want to take an M700 action from a 7 mag (30-06 length to a H&H length) it will not rebarrel and new magazine box into a rifle! Remingtons are not blessed with extra magazine space or port size. The H&H is 3.600" OAL and the 7 Rem mag is about 3.340". The 375 Ruger will fit better.

The type of action does matter. A Sako AV action will go with just a barrel only, that box is a one size fits all in the belted mags.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe ill look at another comparable caliber like the 375 ruger. It will make a good winter project.

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe ill look at another comparable caliber like the 375 ruger. It will make a good winter project.
    Just to find out from folks that do re-barreling day in and day out. Why not talk to these folks. Cost of a phone call only.

http://www.pac-nor.com/services/

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Yes it can but may take a lot of work. You don't really want to take an M700 action from a 7 mag (30-06 length to a H&H length) it will not rebarrel and new magazine box into a rifle! Remingtons are not blessed with extra magazine space or port size. The H&H is 3.600" OAL and the 7 Rem mag is about 3.340". The 375 Ruger will fit better.

The type of action does matter. A Sako AV action will go with just a barrel only, that box is a one size fits all in the belted mags.
    Murphy,
    I have to disagree with you on this one. The remington 700 action that is chambered from the factory in any of the standard magnum calibers such as 7mm, 300 Win Mag, 338 etc is the same length action Remington uses for the 375 and 416's.
    Same sized action, same magazine box etc. I personally had several 375's, one 416, one 458 Lott, and one 450 Ackley made on actions originally chambered in 7mm mag.

All these rifles were made at least 10 years ago so maybe something has changed but none that I sent in for rebarreling required any new parts other than the barrel. One 450 Ackely did have some feeding issues that needed to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Murphy,
    I have to disagree with you on this one. The remington 700 action that is chambered from the factory in any of the standard magnum calibers such as 7mm, 300 Win Mag, 338 etc is the same length action Remington uses for the 375 and 416's.
    Same sized action, same magazine box etc. I personally had several 375's, one 416, one 458 Lott, and one 450 Ackley made on actions originally chambered in 7mm mag.

All these rifles were made at least 10 years ago so maybe something has changed but none that I sent in for rebarreling required any new parts other than the barrel. One 450 Ackely did have some feeding issues that needed to be corrected.

I stand corrected, you and other knowledgable participants are setting me straight.

I knew that Remington chambered the RUMs and H&H length but I thought there was internal machining to allow this longer cartridge to fit the 30-06 length magnum platform. I think he was talking about just scewing a barrel on the action and I thought that wouldn't work. I was wrong. Of course everybody knows I don't mess with M700's much at all so that should be a clue. I choked under pressure.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?