Thread: Hunting Trip

Default Hunting Trip

Could someone please tell me how far it is from Juneau to Ft. Nelson B.C. when traveling the AK highway and how many hours it may take? Also, how good is the road? I have been from Anchorage to Glenallen on the Ak highway but nowhere else. Thanks.

Default Can't

Drive there from there
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Ft. Nelson is on the AlCan Highway. You can drive to it from Anchorage....but Juneau has no road access!!!

http://www.bellsalaska.com/ftnelson.html

you'll need to drive to a place like Skagway or Haines and then take the ferry. Look up Alaska Marine Highway on google.

Diplomacy and etiquette has worked well in this thread.

Smile hunting trip

I guess it is pretty obvious that I don't live in AK. That's why I posted the question...

I am looking at a better way to get across the border without getting hosed when I bring back hides/horns. Driving is the only way to do this.
    Just wondered if this was a feasible way to do it. I have never been to Juneau or Skagway but have been on the AK highway.

Any advice is certainly appreciated.

Well, I've never driven through Canada with antlers or horns, but I would guess that people do it. There may be some information to be had on this with US and/or Canadian customs and/or the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. As for getting in and out of the state, it is probably fairly expensive (but then again with the price of gas these days...) but you can take the ferry (AK Marine Highway) from Anchorage, Seward, etc down to Seattle. You can also drive from just about anywhere to Tok, AK through Canada to Seattle or elsewhere in the states. As for travel times, try to find a one year old copy of the Milepost (a book) that doesn't change much from year to year and has all the information that you need for driving the Alcan, including travel times between various places. If you find a copy that is about a year old you might be able to find it for about 1-3 bucks. A new copy is probably about 20-25 bucks.

Default 800 miles

It is about 800 miles from Skagway Alaska to where you are going, and it is a 7 hour ferry ride from Juneau to Skagway.

Ltlbucks

Default permits

Be sure to get your USFWS and CITES permits for wildlife products and get them signed by US Customs prior to entering Canada.....Ltlbucks has you close for mileage estimates....the $6 gas in Canada will go along way toward a hosing......but I agree with driving if time allows.

Purchase a "Milepost" book. It will have the routes, time to to travel, miles covered, etc. etc.

Default Alaska Marine Highway

When I took the ferry up here 3 years ago, it was roughly $1700 one way, if I remember correctly. That was for a car, a pet, and a 2 bunk room. However, you do not have to get a room. They let you pitch a tent on the upper deck of the boat, which saves money. That got me from Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK. It would be somewhat less than that to go from WA to Juneau. But if you get off at Haines, you still have to drive through Canada if you are hunting anywhere other than southeast Alaska. If not hunting SE Alaska, you would have to take the ferry to Valdez, Whittier, etc. which would cost more.

Hopefully that info helps. One more thought, though. I really enjoyed taking the ferry. It sure was a lot more relaxing than driving.

Default Few details

The fast ferry goes Juneau-Skagway in about 4 hours.

The only way to avoid Canada is to take the ferry from Bellingham to Juneau, then switch to the cross-gulf run that drops you in Whittier. Costs some coin, but you don't have to register your firearms with Canada or worry about a passport/CITES permit/buying gas.

A more specific request would help. Are you planning to hunt in Juneau? We might be able to help a little more if we know the big idea.

Default transporting

never passed through canada with horns but have with hides (bears) three times now.

in every case it was super easy, just stopped into American border office and got a very simple form (can't remember which it was but they'll know if you call them) and filled it out there, then just drove through....

and $25 for carrying rifles through canada is a deal in my book, you can do that at the canadian side (just don't bring pistols through). isn't a real painful process as long as you're traveling through, and they'll make the permit good for a few weeks to cover your return trip.

Default hunting trip

Thanks to all that have offered their advice. Hopefully others will as well.

I am planning on flying into Juneau then taking the ferry to Skagway. From there I was going to drive to Whitehorse, then Watson Lake, then to Muncho Lake in B.C. I am not sure if the estimates are correct, but the mileage I found for the driving part totaled 550 miles. I was not sure about the ferry because I never did it. I am assuming that you can you take cars on this ferry correct? Some one mentioned that it was a 4 hour ferry ride from Juneau to Skagway. That's not too bad. As I stated, I am trying to avoid getting shanked by the camp taxidermist---they want $500 just to bring them across, then another $400 to ship them to me. If I drive, I can bring the stuff into the U.S. myself and take it with me on my plane. If I could bring the hides/horns on CMA's plane in Ft. Nelson, I would be in good shape, but the airline won't let any meat/hides/horns on the plane so that is why I am looking into other options. I will have to run the numbers and see how they play out. Any other info would be great.

Default travel

The fast ferry never seems to work out from Juneau, the slow boat is what you should expect to take. Book your ferry ticket online now, using this site: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html. When you drive north from Skagway you will arrive in Carcross Yukon, just north of the gas station (montana services) there is a right turn to Jakes corner This will save you an hour driving time verses driving all the way to the Whitehorse corner.

I live in Skagway and travel this some so if you have any questions I'll try to help.

Ltlbucks

Default Travel to Ft Nelson

I can't help on leaving Juneau but am very familar with the drive to Ft. Nelson. It is a good days drive from Whitehorse to Toad River and Ft. Nelson is only about 2 hours past Toad River. It isn't that far from Haines to Whitehorse so the trip from Haines to Ft. Nelson should be a good days drive if you stay with it (at least I have done the drive from Toad River to Whitehorse or Destruction Bay northwest of Whitehorse several times in one day. Second days drive from there will put you in Edmonton.

Randy