Thread: Moose Meat Transport Costs from Galena?

Default Moose Meat Transport Costs from Galena?

Does anyone have information about the airfrieght costs involved to ship game from Galena to Anchorage?

Also, once the meat is transported to Galena, is it still necessary to leave the bone in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You will have 2 challenges that arent too hard to overcome.

#1 the airport isn't on the river so you have to find a local to hire to drive it over there.

#2 Find out when Everts ships meat and thats when you want to show up as the cooler has only worked 3 of the 5 years we have stopped there.

I would round up a pallet at the airport and put a tarp down so that blood doesn't leak and pile your meat up that way. Then you have to wrap it.

I wouldn't bother de boning it.

I am sure the costs have went up since I did it 3 years ago but it's cheap compared to running a loaded boat up river. I think it is in the 25 to 40 cents a pound range.

I paid 20 cents last time I think.

375 is right on with Everts. We brought my moose to the Galena airport on the scheduled day of pick up; put a tarp on the palet and loaded it then wrapped it; also, included was cape and antlers. It costs about $200 to ship it from Galena to Anchorage where Indian Valley picked up the meat and D&C Expeditors picked up the cape and horns.

Leave the bone in. The processor prefers it and the costs may only be a couple of bucks.

Costs from Gelena is the least of your worries. Shipping 1 hind and 1 front quarter and 1 backstrap, including processing, to Louisiana was about $1,000. Shipping the mount to Louisiana was about $500.

On my next trip up, I'll take an ice chest for the backstrap and fly it with me at $0.60/pound on Frontier and then fly it home with me. I'll keep a hind quarter for processing and donate the rest to the community. After all, I only had 1/2 of a 1/2 of my moose and still have a little in my freezer from two years ago. (I split 1/2 with my hunting partner since he didn't shoot and I split my 1/2 with a friend back home who want moose meat).

By the way, who are you using as a transporter or guide out of Galena? Joe?
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Hi Romo, thanks for the info - very much appreciated. We are not using a guide we are going down the Yukon using my jet boat - doing it all on our own. What area did you hunt? Yuki river? Any advice would be great. Notice the LSU Tiger - we are die hard Razorback fans but love rooting for the Tigers as long as we are not playing them. Thanks Tim

We were in a draw area. It was a DIY hunt but we used transportation out of Galena. I can't recall right now what the permit no. was but it was south or east or southeast of the Yukon.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt