Thread: Can't figure out what it was!

Default Can't figure out what it was!

I was driving through Denali this weekend and came across an animal I have never seen before. I am from out of state, so it may seems a little silly that I don't know, but I am dying to figure it out.

I don't have a picture, but it looked fox-like, except larger. It was all black, maybe with a hint of tan, and it had a thin frame with a long bushy tail and a white tip on the end.
    I didn't look like a Wolf to me..although I have not seen many of them either. The snout looked more like a fox's. Anyone know what it could be? Pictures?

Either a young wolf or a coyote? If it was dog-like in any way, those are the only two options. :confused:

I would guess that it was a fox. A white tip on the tail is a good indicator of a red fox.

Strange. I actually saw two; the first was what seemed to be full grown, but it was bigger then a typical Red Fox, more of a Wolf size - just black or dark coloured with a white tip on the tail.

The second I saw in Northern British Columbia, and it was just a pup. Same colourings and tail.

Strange. There must be a completely normal explanation for this. Probably just a fox I suppose - but Ive never seen a black one with a bushy tail like that.

How big were they?
    3ft tall? 2 ft tall?
    From what I got of you discription I would guess you saw unusually collored foxes.
    I know the red foxes can get pretty big, but no where near the size of an adult timber wolf, so maybe an aproximate size could help.
    As far as I know there are only 3 types of K9's in this area, wolves, coyotes, and foxes.

I am starting to think it must have been a strangely coloured fox.
    I would say it was about 4 feet long head to rear end and the tail was long enough to brush the ground. Probably about 2 feet tall...But yeah...must have been a dark coloured fox I guess. The thing that stood out to me was the fox like shape, but just way bigger then any fox i have ever seen. Interesting. The other one was just a pup..the size of a small domestic house cat, but had the same colourings.

Default Cross Fox?

Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

THATS IT!!! Thats exactly what I saw...

Thanks...I really wanted to know what that was.

THATS IT!!! Thats exactly what I saw...
    There are many type of breeds of foxes, there's the red fox, arctic fox, grey fox, swift fox, bat-eared fox, etc. The most common is the red fox.
    Red foxes can come in a vary of colors. If you see a black fox, it's most likely a red fox. Red foxes come in many colors and each has it's own name. The cross fox usally has black fur along its back and across its shoulders. These foxes are usually prized for fur traders.
    The silver fox is also a vulpes vulpes, but it has black and white fur mixed in. The fur is not actually grey or silver, just with the black and white fur mixed in together, it looks like a silver coat. This is a picture of a black fox but near the rear, is where the silver fur is.
    Thanks...I really wanted to know what that was. It was a bit of a mix in colouring between these two;