Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Guns & National Parks? Also...

  1. #1

    Default Guns & National Parks? Also...

    I'm gonna be working/living at Glacier Bay National Park for 2 months or so.

    I'm wondering if I can bring my 8mm Mauser (K98k) to shoot when I go camping on my off days.

    Also, I'm trying to ditch California and become a resident. What's the process of being able to become a resident and be able to buy firearms? I'm thinking about a stainless steel 5 1/2" Ruger Redhawk in 44 magnum as a bear gun and occasional (expensive!) plinker.

  2. #2
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    I'm gonna be working/living at Glacier Bay National Park for 2 months or so.

    I'm wondering if I can bring my 8mm Mauser (K98k) to shoot when I go camping on my off days.

    Also, I'm trying to ditch California and become a resident. What's the process of being able to become a resident and be able to buy firearms? I'm thinking about a stainless steel 5 1/2" Ruger Redhawk in 44 magnum as a bear gun and occasional (expensive!) plinker.

    Swear you are not a California liberal that's moved to Alaska and you are trying to spread the gospel of liberalism. DO NOT MENTION YOUR FROM SAN FRANSISCO, EVER.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Al, he's no California liberal he wants a gun.

  4. #4

    Default

    Hah, I'm so anti-California/liberal I wish I could shed my native-born status.

    What would be cool is if all the liberals could somehow feel the desire to migrate to California, while the rest migrate out and a big earthquake occurs, detaching California from the United States.

    It'd be an island, shorta like Hawaii... except nobody would want to go there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Swear you are not a California liberal that's moved to Alaska and you are trying to spread the gospel of liberalism. DO NOT MENTION YOUR FROM SAN FRANSISCO, EVER.
    So all I have to do is go to a gunstore and buy a Ruger? And it's all legal? No ID, just cash and carry (like Curo&Relic firearms here)?

    Also, can I bring my Mauser and be able to shoot it at GNP?

  5. #5
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Al, he's no California liberal he wants a gun.
    Liberals all want guns, they just don't want anybody else to have one.

    You really can't think that the body guards that protect Chas Schumer, and Teddy Bear Kennedy, carry squirt guns, do you?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    Hah, I'm so anti-California/liberal I wish I could shed my native-born status.

    What would be cool is if all the liberals could somehow feel the desire to migrate to California, while the rest migrate out and a big earthquake occurs, detaching California from the United States.

    It'd be an island, shorta like Hawaii... except nobody would want to go there.



    So all I have to do is go to a gunstore and buy a Ruger? And it's all legal? No ID, just cash and carry (like Curo&Relic firearms here)?

    Also, can I bring my Mauser and be able to shoot it at GNP?



    They have funny rules about Parks. It has something to do about feeding bears. I don't think they want the bears to be hurt while they feed on you.

    If I was without a pistol, I would just buy one used. Not everybody that has a pistol for sell, has a store front building. It's your life your defending, I'm sure you can find someone in Alaska that will gladly sell you one.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    If I was without a pistol, I would just buy one used. Not everybody that has a pistol for sell, has a store front building. It's your life your defending, I'm sure you can find someone in Alaska that will gladly sell you one.
    I'm sure you're right. Be hard to find a pistol for sale in Gustavus though... I'm not even sure the lodge will permit firearms.

    And I'm a bit scared about asking the person who hired me, as I don't want to lose my chance of going up there over a rifle.

  8. #8

    Default

    Are you working for the Glacier Bay Lodge in the park? If so, their company policy prohibits the possession or storage of firearms in company housing regardless of what park regulations do and don't allow.

    If not, you will be living in the town of Gustavus, which is not in the park, and so you may do what you wish as the state laws allow (which is almost anything.)

    As for your time off and whether you can possess or use your rifle in the park, you cannot possess, carry, or use a firearm in the park with three exceptions: 1) North of Cape Fairweather on the outer coast you can possess a firearm and use it for lawful purposes (not just plinking or target shooting.) Not likely you will be traveling to that area. 2) "Traps, nets and unloaded weapons may be possessed within a temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use." 3) "Within a residential dwelling. For purposes of this subparagraph only, the term “residential dwelling” means a fixed housing structure which is either the principal residence of its occupants, or is occupied on a regular and recurring basis by its occupants as an alternate residence or vacation home." Unfortunately for you Glacier Bay Lodge thought of this and it is a firing offense if they catch you with a firearm on their property, as I mentioned above.

    Note this is how it is, not my opinion of how it should be. I'm sure plenty of other posters will furnish you their opinions about that

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer331 View Post
    Are you working for the Glacier Bay Lodge in the park? If so, their company policy prohibits the possession or storage of firearms in company housing regardless of what park regulations do and don't allow.

    If not, you will be living in the town of Gustavus, which is not in the park, and so you may do what you wish as the state laws allow (which is almost anything.)

    As for your time off and whether you can possess or use your rifle in the park, you cannot possess, carry, or use a firearm in the park with three exceptions: 1) North of Cape Fairweather on the outer coast you can possess a firearm and use it for lawful purposes (not just plinking or target shooting.) Not likely you will be traveling to that area. 2) "Traps, nets and unloaded weapons may be possessed within a temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use." 3) "Within a residential dwelling. For purposes of this subparagraph only, the term “residential dwelling” means a fixed housing structure which is either the principal residence of its occupants, or is occupied on a regular and recurring basis by its occupants as an alternate residence or vacation home." Unfortunately for you Glacier Bay Lodge thought of this and it is a firing offense if they catch you with a firearm on their property, as I mentioned above.

    Note this is how it is, not my opinion of how it should be. I'm sure plenty of other posters will furnish you their opinions about that
    Thanks, good to know. I'll be staying in their employee housing, so the Mauser will be staying home.

    It'll be coming back home with me when I go to my parent's for Thanksgiving though


    AlaskaFlyer, since you knew those rules re: Glacier Bay Lodge, what are the rules for a non-AK resident (with the intention of becoming a resident) to buy a firearm?

    Gotta wait 1 year? Saftey test (I own a current handgun safety certificate if it helps)? Go to the ATF/DOJ and put in an application?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    Thanks, good to know. I'll be staying in their employee housing, so the Mauser will be staying home.

    It'll be coming back home with me when I go to my parent's for Thanksgiving though


    AlaskaFlyer, since you knew those rules re: Glacier Bay Lodge, what are the rules for a non-AK resident (with the intention of becoming a resident) to buy a firearm?

    Gotta wait 1 year? Saftey test (I own a current handgun safety certificate if it helps)? Go to the ATF/DOJ and put in an application?
    I'm sorry I know less about that. I haven't bought any since I moved year a few years ago, I brought all mine with me when I moved. Though there are other, recent threads about that very thing on here somewhere.

  11. #11

  12. #12

    Default

    Last time I was in Alaska (2 years ago) anybody who could legally posess a firearm could buy a long gun. (Unless you happen to be at Granite View Sports in Delta Junction. That guy is an odd duck when it comes to selling anything to nonresidents.) By federal law you must be a resident of the state you are in to buy a hand gun. From a dealer that is. Check the local ads and such as suggested earlier. Actually that's probably not exactly legal either but I'm not sure.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    Last time I was in Alaska (2 years ago) anybody who could legally posess a firearm could buy a long gun. (Unless you happen to be at Granite View Sports in Delta Junction. That guy is an odd duck when it comes to selling anything to nonresidents.) By federal law you must be a resident of the state you are in to buy a hand gun. From a dealer that is. Check the local ads and such as suggested earlier. Actually that's probably not exactly legal either but I'm not sure.
    Actually I believe you have it backwards. It is illegal for anyone to sell a handgun to an out-of-state resident unless you are a dealer with a FFL, in which case the FFL holder has to ensure and comply with all manner of other requirements. Of course I could be wrong

  14. #14

    Default

    Alright, thanks for the help. Guess the best thing to do is just go to a gun store and find out.

  15. #15

    Default

    I don't know about the exact location of your Park or rules. I will tell you my experience. I am an unfortunate Kalifornication resident. I just returned from 3 weeks car / tent camping in AK. I had trouble buying a handgun in CA because I forgot to update my address when I moved. This technicality prevents me from buying any kind of gun in CA until my address is updated in the States records. It is real easy to find out who can buy what in AK __just call Walmart in Anchorage! This was the easiest way for me to find my way through the regulations. They have a color coded map which defines AK gun sales. Sadly Kalifornication is a red state meaning NO gun sales of any kind in AK to KAL residents. NO long guns, NO shotguns, NO handguns, PERIOD! Kaliforncators gun laws FOLLOW residents wherever they travel to. KALI gun law says residents can buy ONLY one handgun every thirty days in State. I borrowed a couple of handguns and brought them on the plane with me, much easier than buying. Went to Coopers landing gun club and let the kids shoot for their first time, later target practice off Denali Hwy.

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    Last time I was in Alaska (2 years ago) anybody who could legally posess a firearm could buy a long gun. (Unless you happen to be at Granite View Sports in Delta Junction. That guy is an odd duck when it comes to selling anything to nonresidents.) By federal law you must be a resident of the state you are in to buy a hand gun. From a dealer that is. Check the local ads and such as suggested earlier. Actually that's probably not exactly legal either but I'm not sure.

    Private parties who are not residents of the same state cannot even sell long guns to each other.

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer331 View Post
    Actually I believe you have it backwards. It is illegal for anyone to sell a handgun to an out-of-state resident unless you are a dealer with a FFL, in which case the FFL holder has to ensure and comply with all manner of other requirements. Of course I could be wrong

    Non-residents cannot even but a handgun from an FFL if they are not residents of that particular State.


    Non-residents are only allowed to purchase a long gun from an FFL if they are not residents of the same state.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    They have funny rules about Parks. It has something to do about feeding bears. I don't think they want the bears to be hurt while they feed on you.
    Beeg Al:

    That's so true,
    AND a really good way of explaining it too.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •