Thread: Pt. Mackenzie Moose

Default Pt. Mackenzie Moose

Don't have much time or money to hunt this fall. Was looking at moose hunting around Pt. Mackenzie. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Lots of moose, lots of hunters. Hunt it early and often, get off the road and wander around those swamps. While late season moose hunting is better for calling, a lot of the legal bulls in that area will be dead by then.

yeah ive been going there for a few years now, brian is right and thats my problem. i go too late. my father and i go to valdez every year the last week of august to fish the end of the derby. i always come home and start hunting but by then there are no moose unless of coarse your lucky enough to have a cow permit. ive seen lots of cows. ive flown over it enough times that i do know where there are some big bulls every year. the problem is i cant get to em. i eventually run into too deep of a stream and muck to cross or something stops me before i even get close. then i figure if i did cross and shot one how the heck would i get it back? so i havent done it..., yet. i have come up with a new plan though and hopefully ill get there this year. i could probably get there if i had an argo but thats one toy i dont have. and i have enough toys my wife would (will) choke me if i brought home another

go early, first day prefered your chances will decline after each day passes. ive always thought the dumb ones get picked off first. the smart ones are a little harder to find. haha

good luck!

hey Reed...if you know where the bigguns' are so close to home, I promise I'll get us in there.......just say when and where...(or at least 'where')..lol..
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

yeah well thats my ace in the hole right now. i will fly it again to check again but they have been there every year for the past three years.

so, what day should I mark on my calendar to go get 'em with ya?...lol......
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

If at all possible, fly it the evening before you intend to hunt the next day. The general lay of the land does not lend itself to spot and stalk methods. Lots of Moose and lots of brush and timber. Sometimes luck plays a big part of a hunt like that.

ill fly it a few times before hand. the ground is nothing like seeing it from the air.

Please be sure to ask first before hunting on private land out at Pt. Mac. I know many of the farms have some great hunting spots but the farmers don't appreciate the carcus as bear bait around the farms. My girlfriend was very upset last year when some hunters killed a moose on her land and then drove the pickup across the field tearing up the ground.

i can only speak for myself...
    not my style.

There's lots of legal bulls over there......just gots to know where and when to go....and get off the road system.....I've hunted that area for many years and have taken several moose. Late is better and calling works great if there has been some early frosts. Good Luck

Default Moose what Moose?

no there are no moose out there terrible hunting. might as welll pack up and move further north. the terrain out there is the biggest obsticale. thats where my old man taught me to hunt. been stalking those woods for 13 years now. there are some good spots u can get to by foot. but i have to say a atv definatly helps. just be prepared to get stuck. lots of bogs swamps and muskegs. is a good place to call later in the season. lots of bears to. all I ask is if your out there be curtouise to us other hunters. seems like every year we have jack ***** hunters that show no respect to there fellow man. racing up on there qauds after they see we are set up on a field. hell last year my dad a friend and myself were spread out covering diffrent portions of this field. we were couple hundred yards apart from each other. and 2 idiots on foot walk in and set up right between me and our friend. they saw the qauds and us and did not care. glad nothing was moving or that could have been ugly. But at teh same time We have also met some really great folks out there to so it is like any where else there are teh good and the bad. it is a great country out there. one of my favorite hunting spots close to home

I have hunted out that way for a while but it is very hard to find open land! That is one reaon I bought a Boat I figure it would be easier to hunt out there from the lil su without getting any of the farmers up in arms.

Default point mckenzie

Curious about the three cemetary markers (crosses) on the power line trail near the end of the vehicle permitted boundary. I think one was dated 1971 any one know what happened or the story, curious as I hunt that area alot and always stop near there. I heard it was an electric aaccident when putting power line in, and I also heard it was a plane crash. I think one guys name was Adolph Schmidt Just curious Chef

Quote Originally Posted by chef viktor View Post
    Curious about the three cemetary markers (crosses) on the power line trail near the end of the vehicle permitted boundary. I think one was dated 1971 any one know what happened or the story, curious as I hunt that area alot and always stop near there. I heard it was an electric aaccident when putting power line in, and I also heard it was a plane crash. I think one guys name was Adolph Schmidt Just curious Chef
    I know the spot you are talking about. Been there a few times. Always wanted to know what the deal was with the crosses as well. I was told from someone a few years back that three guys got killed by a bear.

Default pt. mac spot

I got i spot i get one every year there behind a tree buy some water is all im gonna give up

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Pt MacKenzie road

There is a lot of road work going on out there. Heavy equipment and lots of activity have the animals all moving differently this year. The road crew has seen both black and brown bear and fewer moose are being seen near the road. We live and work out near the port
    What ever it was before will be different now and yes it's packed with hunters. Mid week is best.

www.alaskadognews.com