Thread: Is hunter Ed covered by BowHunter cert?

Default Is hunter Ed covered by BowHunter cert?

I was reading the Ft Richardson Bow Hunting thread and it stuck my curiosity. I know that you have to have a hunters safety course to hunt Military land. I was curious if the Bowhunter Certification would fulfill the hunters safety requirement for rifle hunting as well.

You can't get this permit without having an IBEP card so some of what they write doesn't make a lot of sense. From what I read, it appears that you have to have both but I am not 100% sure on that either.

Gosh I hope this isn't true otherwise I sat through 2 nights of hunter ed that I didn't have to.

Hunter Ed is not covered by the Bow Cert class, though the military bases might take it as such. I know that for hunts such as the Coastal Wildlife Refuge where hunter ed is required, an IBEP cert is not adequate.

Both are required, IBEP does not substitute for hunter ed.

According to MT who has drawn this hunt 3 times now, you ONLY need the IBEP card, that is all that is required to hunt Ft Rich. You will also have to attend a class where they will tell you everything you need to know about hunting Ft Rich.

I just talked to the person who used to be in charge of all Army in Alaska conservation enforcement, he states that one does not substitute for the other. However, the Army reg recently changed to reflect state regulations requirements, Best call 384-3017 and ask.

One of my friends drew a Ft. Rich moose tag and he was informed that he needed both.

Default You Need Both

I drew the same tag this year DM427 as I did in 2004. I was informed of the new law back then and got in the last class in the valley, someone canceled luckily. Mise well get the hunter ed when you have time, you never when you might apply for hunt that will need it, a lot of places in the valley require it hunt now I believe. Here in town to hunt the coastal refuge you need. It is basically a shotgun hunter ed but is called basic hunter ed. Other states will recognize it too if you go to hunt somewhere else.

Im one of the state instructors and you now need both to hunt military lands. One doesnt cover the other.