Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fort Richardson

Default Fort Richardson

Is anyone familiar with the drill to bow hunt on Fort Richardson? I drew a DM427 permit, have searched these forums for information, and haven't been able to find much. Besides what it says on the hunt supplement, and the regs, I don't know much. I know it says they can shut it down at any given time, there's a fee, and it sounds like you have to pass a proficiency test. Can you use a motorized vehicle while hunting? Thanks.

You will have to go to a briefing all about Ft. Rich bow hunting, they will contact you
    They can close down training areas daily as the military uses them.
    The fee is (or was) $125.00
    Proficiency test is required
    You have to check in daily and tell them what areas you will be hunting
    Motorized access, meaning driving the roads, it allowed, of course get off the road to shoot and hunt.

Thanks, Bill. Do you know if you can use a snow machine, or six wheeler? Or camp there in a truck camper?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Thanks, Bill. Do you know if you can use a snow machine, or six wheeler? Or camp there in a truck camper?
    I don't know about the camping, but there isn't any motorized access other than driving the roads. You'll likely have company, though, and generally success is better for those willing to walk. I have heard that they'll allow you to bring in an ATV or snowmachine to remove the animal from the field after you kill one, but that was years ago and it's possible that this practice has changed. Call the Ft. Rich MP office and I'm sure they'll either have answers for your questions or will be able to direct you to someone who will. These topics will also be covered in the orientation class that you have to take.

As far as the proficiency test goes, they did away with that due to manning so I don't believe that applies anymore. I drew DM424 and will be hunting the same area.

Default Easy

The hunt is quite simple to deal with actually. You'll get a phone number to call which will let you know what is open and what isn't each day based on training schedules and closures. Usually the hillside area is always open and where most folks kill their critter especially if there isn't much snow. No motorized vehicle while hunting - no need. I wouldn't camp out there either might as well stay at home. Have gone 2 for 2 on Ft Rich and I am in no way an animal hunter. You'll get al lthe info you need at the orientation.

Good luck,

Gooch

Default No camping allowed...

unless your a military card holder, & can use thier camping facilities onbase...it's usually just day trips, & you have to check with the MP Station to find out which area's are open to hunting...& the "game warden" on the base is always willing to tell you where he saw moose...ususally the southern part of the base is the best for moose as it's right next to the green belt of Anchorage, then the Northern Part where all the small arms ranges are, & then Camp Carroll...I've got a 1:25,000 Scale laminate map, of Ft. Rich, if your interested, pm me...

Default Go Often

This is a great hunt but it is not slam dunk. I have shot several moose and have helped lots of friends also. Those who put in the time and effort usually have a few opportunities to get a moose. Closed areas are a pain to deal with but just learn to deal with it. The map they will give you is almost worthless. Check out Google Earth. There are a lot of areas to hunt even when some of them are closed for training. Drive all the roads until you know where the boundaries are and walk and find moosie spots. Go out during the fall hunt and learn the areas. The winter hunt is great because you can shoot either sex. If you want a bull with antlers don't wait to long as some will drop them before Christmas. Practice shooting with all your winter gear on so you don't blow your chance. I know some of the areas near my house off Muldoon, they will not let you use atv's or snowmobiles to retrieve your moose. Keep a couple of plastice sleds in your truck and a couple of willing friends on speed dial to help out.

It's not an easy hunt. Go often and be patient.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

question? i drew a DM424 permit this year and was looking in the hunting reg book, and it says it a either sex moose hunt , however i looked the permit regs up on ADF&G and it says its bull only..the dates do not match either! so which one is correct? the book or the onlne regs?

Hunter Ed is required to hunt on base no matter your age.

Default I think it is a bull only hunt

Quote Originally Posted by CI=HP View Post
    question? i drew a DM424 permit this year and was looking in the hunting reg book, and it says it a either sex moose hunt , however i looked the permit regs up on ADF&G and it says its bull only..the dates do not match either! so which one is correct? the book or the onlne regs?
    The permit hunt supplement online says that DM424 is a "bull" hunt from September 2 to November 15. The online hunting regs says "one moose" which could mean either sex, from Sep. 2 to Jan 15. I think the catch is that the hunting regs are covering three difference permit numbers (DM 424,425,427) which are a mix of bull and either sex hunts and in total span from Sep. 2 to Jan. 15. I would go with what is on the permit since that is specific to YOUR hunt and the regs are covering a group of hunts with a single statement. You could also double check with ADF&G just to make sure, which probably isn't a bad idea if you are not 100% sure at any point.

Cool Treestands.

Just wondering if anyone has info on using treestands on the Ft. Rich hunt. Can we use tree pegs or do we need a ladder. Is it better to stay on the ground and spot and stalk. Is there any spotting knobs or vantage points. Any info of actual hunting conditions or terrain would be helpful.
    Also, if we can't make the dates for orientation will they reschedule?

KAT

Heck guys, drive on down and check it out now. As long as we are not at some elevated threat level, Ft Rich will let you sign on for the day at the gate. Bring registration, driver's licence and proof of insurance. While you're there sign up for the recreational acess permit you will need for the hunt. Doesn't work at Elmendorf though.

I've had this tag twice in the recent past. I've taken two bulls, however it is NOT a slam dunk.

Work it early in the Gwen Lake area and be persistent. I also had success calling bulls in the Ship Creek basin toward where it meets Snowhawk Creek. My largest bull was taken near the N.B.C. training area. He was coming from the Anchorage Landfill with three other bulls.

Put a tree stand near the open old cutover by the N.B.C. outdoor classroom. It's a huge funnel.

Last year I had the Elmendorf Tag and shot my bull coming from Otter Lake.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    I've had this tag twice in the recent past. I've taken two bulls, however it is NOT a slam dunk.

Work it early in the Gwen Lake area and be persistent. I also had success calling bulls in the Ship Creek basin toward where it meets Snowhawk Creek. My largest bull was taken near the N.B.C. training area. He was coming from the Anchorage Landfill with three other bulls.

Put a tree stand near the open old cutover by the N.B.C. outdoor classroom. It's a huge funnel.

Last year I had the Elmendorf Tag and shot my bull coming from Otter Lake.

Taylor
    Which tags did you draw those years? I drew the 427 and i was thinking about hunting the tree line by basher.

Default What/where is the N.B.C. training area?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Taylor
    I'm not familiar with the N.B.C. area by that name. Are you referring to the area on the left side of Pole Line Road before you drop down to Fossil Creek?

Had 424.

Sourdough -
    Hmmm... The road layout is like an "Anarchy" symbol. I didn't get as far as Fossil Creek that time.

Taylor

Default moose

Man, How do some of yo guys get so lucky and draw it multiple times... I put in every year and nothing and I am active.. My wife drew the base hunt in 04' any moose. she shot a huge cow off pole line road on Jan 14th.

Hoytguy -

Then you'll be pleased to know that I got it again this year!

Might as well join the Army as much time as I get to spend on base!

Taylor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast