Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of Mod 70 C/S in 300 RUM?

Default Value of Mod 70 C/S in 300 RUM?

Hey guys, I am contemplating selling my Win Model 70 Classic Stainless chambered in 300 RUM but dont really have a good idea for an asking price. I know they only made a very few of these guns (like 2500 IIRC) and they are getting harder to find. Overall condition I would rate as 90-95%, there are a few scratches on the stock and barrel, nothing serious. It shot the factory 180gr Swift and 200gr Partition Remington loads very well. I have not shot it in 2 or 3 years,and my buddy who I bought it from shot 2 boxes through it before I bought it from him.So total round count somewhere in the 125-150 range. I will include the Stainless Leupold rings & bases with it. The trigger has also been adjusted down to a very nice 2.5-3# range with no creep.

So can somebody help me out? I dont want to price gouge anyone,just looking for a fair price as I know what I have into it.

Thanks-Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Several months ago I sold my Classic Stainless Model 70 with rings and bases for $650. It was a 300 winchester magnum. I would rate the condition of my gun at 90%. I think that the market on these guns has softened with the new model 70 coming out soon.

I hope that this helps.

"So can somebody help me out? I dont want to price gouge anyone,just looking for a fair price as I know what I have into it.

650.00 to 700.00. Remember people have memories of what the Sportsman's sold these for.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Seen a couple of the same rifles that sold for 650-700 on the AR forum in the last couple of months.
    They are popular if a person is building up a 404 Jeffrey otherwise they do not seem any more desirable than a 300 Win Mag.
    If it were me I would list it on Gunbrokers and allow the market to determine the best price.
    Good luck.

What did Sportsman's sell them for? I bought this gun from my buddy so I dont know what brand new price was.

Thanks-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    What did Sportsman's sell them for? I bought this gun from my buddy so I dont know what brand new price was.

Thanks-Tim
    At the Anchorage store they were on sell for 499.95. But that was only till they sold out.

If it was mine I would keep it and re-barrel to a .338 EDGE. great ctg. One heck of a lot more usable than the current chambering.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    At the Anchorage store they were on sell for 499.95. But that was only till they sold out.

If it was mine I would keep it and re-barrel to a .338 EDGE. great ctg. One heck of a lot more usable than the current chambering.
    You must just be talking about all Model 70's when they were closing out. This one of mine is 6 years old and was only made for 1 year and only about 2000 or so made in this chambering. I know all about the Shadows and Ultimate Shadows that everyone was clearing out when the plant closed (I got tricked into buying one and couldnt get rid of it later). This one is a true oldie and goodie before all the quality control and accuracy issues started to change at the plant.

Thanks for all the input guys, its making it harder and harder to let it go.

Tim

Default Value

Unless it is new in the box the gun is not a collector but a shooter.

I bought a SS Classic in .338 Win mag near new with 3x9 Leupold LW off the post recently for $675.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

You must just be talking about all Model 70's when they were closing out. This one of mine is 6 years old and was only made for 1 year and only about 2000 or so made in this chambering. I know all about the Shadows and Ultimate Shadows that everyone was clearing out when the plant closed (I got tricked into buying one and couldnt get rid of it later). This one is a true oldie and goodie before all the quality control and accuracy issues started to change at the plant.

Thanks for all the input guys, its making it harder and harder to let it go.

Tim
    Wincheseter had accuracy/quality control issues a lot longer than 6 years ago man.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby257 View Post
    Wincheseter had accuracy/quality control issues a lot longer than 6 years ago man.

Well some us did

I just meant that the wide spread issues that seemed to effect everyone.

Tim

Well some us did

I just meant that the wide spread issues that seemed to effect everyone.

Tim

You asked, I replied. It's not my rifle, it belongs to you. You will have to make up your own mind before you make a decision to sell. What do I have to have for it? Bottom line, if I can't get this amount, what will I do with the rifle? Look at the auction sites and get a feel of what these rifles are going for.

One of the things I have noted in passing with this chambering, they are becoming less popular, for what reason, I have no idea. Maybe it's the cost of ammo?

When word first broke that Winchester was going to cease production of the Model 94 and Model 70 there was price gouging going on at every gunstore/gunshow. But after FN announced it was going to start production of the Model 70 again, the price quickly dropped back to acceptable standards. That's why $650 has been a recommended price by some others...rare chambering or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby257 View Post
    That's why $650 has been a recommended price by some others...rare chambering or not.
    And that is all I was looking for, just a fair asking price for both parties. Thanks guys, I'll mull it over for a day or 2 and decide if I will list it or not.

Thanks again-Tim

I paid $800 for mine last year from Rmiller and it was used. I bet you can list it on gunbroker.com and sell that rifle from between $900 to $1200, depending on how bad you want to turn a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I paid $800 for mine last year from Rmiller and it was used. I bet you can list it on gunbroker.com and sell that rifle from between $900 to $1200, depending on how bad you want to turn a profit.
    The only ones that I have seen sell for $900-$1200 recently have been 375 H&H's in excellent to new condition. If anyone spends that much on any other caliber they don't know what they are doing. I agree that about $675-$750 (which is what they sold for new before closure of the New Haven plant) would be the going rate for this gun. Winchester is just a few months from launching the new M70's and they will come with far better features than the past ones (trigger,stocks,etc) did......many hope!!!

If I was buying I would look for Around $700-$750.

If I was selling I would not settle for less than $800.

The 300 ultra in that rifle is not in the same price range as any other calibers. The 375 goes for a bit more and all other calibers go for much less.

I buy and sell mine on gunbroker mostly. I watch that site quite often and see the price go up and down pretty much monthly. It is like the stock market I buy low and sell high.

I sold one to Matt at a time that most were selling for $1000. Since then I have seen others go for around $800 again.

Nov of 07 I bought a 300 ultra mod 70 super grade for $1000. I had planned on keeping the rifle for some time but when I saw one sell for $1600 in Feb of 08 I sold mine for $1400. This was on gunbroker.

I will do some price checking and see what the current market price is. So at least wait a couple days and dont let anyone rip you off at $700.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    The only ones that I have seen sell for $900-$1200 recently have been 375 H&H's in excellent to new condition. If anyone spends that much on any other caliber they don't know what they are doing. I agree that about $675-$750 (which is what they sold for new before closure of the New Haven plant) would be the going rate for this gun. Winchester is just a few months from launching the new M70's and they will come with far better features than the past ones (trigger,stocks,etc) did......many hope!!!

Except that they will NOT be 300 ultra mags.

Right now I am watching two Blued synthetic Mod 70 300 ultra mags. These actually only go for a few bucks less than the SS syn do.

An auction I was watching for a stainless synthetic 99% bid to $875 on July 15. I bet this is very close to what you could get for yours. On gunbroker anyways. I would not look for much money from this crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    But that doesn't apply to this rifle since it is chambered in 300 Ultra Mag, which is not really a common round. And most people who buy this rifle online simply use the action to rebarrel to the 404 Jeffery cartridge.

tjkanaval, you have a buyer. RMiller. Wants to give you more money. I think you found your answer. Isn't it neat how two member can get together and solve two problems at once?

Wow, thanks for all the help and responses guys.

RMiller, if you are interested shoot me a PM and we can discuss it further.

Thanks guys-Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast