Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pike

Default Pike

Where is a good spot along the big-su for pike?

Default Nancy Lake ...

I was fishing Willow Creek for Rainbows on Saturday (and counting all the kings)...When a ADF&G officer came to check my licence and make sure I was not poaching.....We chated for a bit ....I asked about pike , he said Nancy lake is across the street..."Best Area for Pike and please don't play Catch & Release...kill 'em all ....you can catch them right off the dock "

Then I asked him about thoes kings crowding thoes rainbows...."on Monday , their legal" ...Cool , on my way to the airport , I stopped by the hole on the Willow...nobody there...except them kings.....C&R'd two kings in a half hour both in the 35-36" range , then no more takes. Had to fly a 8PM
    Used a #4 Mepps Algia , 6'6" Rino kevlar rod 20lb fire line on a Penn 2400
    Sorry , no pics(camera malfunction)

I also cought my first Greyling in Windy Creek out on the Denali Hwy.

Quote Originally Posted by candyman View Post
    I was fishing Willow Creek for Rainbows on Saturday (and counting all the kings)...When a ADF&G officer came to check my licence and make sure I was not poaching.....We chated for a bit ....I asked about pike , he said Nancy lake is across the street..."Best Area for Pike and please don't play Catch & Release...kill 'em all ....you can catch them right off the dock "
    Ok, I'm not calling that F&G officer a liar, but they have a tendency to say the pike fishing in the lakes around here is alot better than it really is. I know Nancy lake has a fair population of pike though. I haven't fished it but I have seen pics of fish that have come out of that lake and it's definetly a place of intrest.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

The deshka has pike in it. All those lakes that are in the Nancy lake area have pike in them. Start at southrolly lake, any stream or marsh that connects it to another lake will have pike in it. There is only a couple of Landlocked lakes that do not have them in that area. Willow and Long lakes nearby also have pike.

Right now the pike are not biting well but a troll herring will usually change their mind.

And yes kill them all. They are a worthless fish to have in the area. There used to be killer trout fishing in those lakes. Now about all you can do is catch 18" long pike occasionally

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post

And yes kill them all. They are a worthless fish to have in the area.

As far as Im concerned, every lake and stream in the valley has trout, big deal if 3 or 4 have pike in them. Its not like were short on trout or anything you know.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

They are a worthless fish to have in the area.
    I wouldn't quite say that. I think they taste better and play better then trout.

Besides what would ya say to the fella that posted "Trout, yes kill them all. They are a worthless fish to have in the area."

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    I
    Besides what would ya say to the fella that posted "Trout, yes kill them all. They are a worthless fish to have in the area."
    Oh no you din't! This should be fun.....

I agree that pike are one good tasting fish and a blast to catch. If anyone wants to get rid of some I'll be living in the Anchorage area starting in October. I'll give my address.

I aslo agree that if they pike don't get there naturally we shouldn't introduce them.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

There are plenty of lakes that have pike in them and the number is growing constantly. I agree that it is nice to have a few pike lakes around but I also enjoy trout fishing and think we should try our best to limit the spread of pike.

I grew up fishing in that nancy lake area. My cabin is on rainbow lake. Next door to Long Lake. Every Spring it was neat to go down to the small stream that conects Long with Rainbow and watch the spawning Rainbows. Some of them were just huge. I havent seen a spawning rainbow in that creek in 5 years. Fish and Game doesnt stock either of those Lakes.

Like I said, now only occasionaly can I catch a few pike in Rainbow Lake. They dont have near the fight that rainbows have. And they are not numerous enough to make it worth while to fish for them.

All those lakes in the Nancy lake area, Fish and game isnt stocking those anymore either. Now there is 8 Lakes with nothing but hammerhandles in them. Not good for eating, and not good for battling on tackle.

So right off that bat were not talking about just a couple of lakes, Thats alot of really good trout habitat wasted.

I too was actually kind of excited when the pike first showed up. Now after 5 years I miss my trout.

I would enjoy fishing in a natural Trophy Pike area. But that will never happen in areas where they arent naturally supposed to be. They eat everything, then eachother and all you get in the end is a bunch of small pike all the same size.

Ah, shucks Matt. Hook into one of those tankers and you'll think twice about the fight. They are further apart then the hammer handles but worth it. Maybe we can get together and use some of those 18"ers for lures. I'm just funning we'll just us big lures (no real pike harmed).

I like my trout fishing too and I'm all for keeping the invasive fish away, but I'm also against the nuke them all thought processes. Besides once they are there they are darn toot'n hard to get rid, especially if there is a a water way, or flood area.

Jst funn'n with ya Matt.

Pike are like dandelions. Extremely invasive and very hard to control.

My theory is.. If you catch one it should not enter the water again. I can take care of my dandelions with 'Weed and Feed' but that isn't a good solution for the pike problem.

[quote=rimfirematt;305939] Now there is 8 Lakes with nothing but hammerhandles in them. Not good for eating, and not good for battling on tackle.quote]

I wouldn't say nothing but hammer handles, there are some 30"+ fish out there. You just have to know how to catch them.

True I have caught a couple over 30 inches, but, I wouldnt want to trade a whole lake of trout, landlocked salmon for a couple of few and far between 30 inch pike wich are still small in any other part of the state.

If you like fishing for pike, cool, Im not gonna argue it. I like fishing for them too. But after fishing these things for 5 years, i have realized they are not even close to a good replacement for some of the great rainbow fishing we used to have. I could pretty regularly catch 20 inch rainbows out of my lake. The norm being about 16 inches.

I agree Matt.
    A 30" pike to me is just a hammer handle. I don't even start to get excited until they are over 40"!!! A 20" bow is way more desirable to me than a 30" hammer handle.
    The largest pike I heard of that was caught near me last year was a 53" giant!!!!
    Now that's a pike!!!!

Man Drifter, I sure would like to live in your neck of the woods.

I would kill to go fish some of those Canadian pike lakes. Even if it is catch and release, man there are some hogs up there!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    A 20" bow is way more desirable to me than a 30" hammer handle.

I understand your point of view. I lived in Idaho for 12 years, and I fished my @$$ off trying to get a few pike (of course I was young and dumb). I caught more big rainbows than I could count, but could never get into the pike. Anyway, I caught ONE pike. ONE. I came up here and I started going around and started catching some, so for me, I could care less if I catch anymore nice sized trout. Im not saying lets get rid of the trout, I just don't fish for them that much anymore. I think pike are better eating anyway and their aggressive manner is very appealing. Just my .02 cents.

Arrow it sounds like

pike palace and i are on the same page. i spent 30 years in MT and grew tired of catching rainbows and browns all the time. besides, the fishing guides and their dudes pretty much ruined the blue ribbon stretch of the missouri river i grew up on, so the last 10 years or so in MT i began targeting pike. i also grew tired of hearing MT fish and game talk about nuking the pike to save the trout. mind you i am dead set against illegal introduction of an invasive species like pike in waters where they do not belong. that dose not change the fact i thoroughly enjoy catching pike, with my favorite method being spot and stalk. to me pike are certainly alot more fun to catch and also to eat then trout.

pike palace, let me know if you ever want a pike fishing partner!

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    pike palace and i are on the same page. i spent 30 years in MT and grew tired of catching rainbows and browns all the time. besides, the fishing guides and their dudes pretty much ruined the blue ribbon stretch of the missouri river i grew up on, so the last 10 years or so in MT i began targeting pike. i also grew tired of hearing MT fish and game talk about nuking the pike to save the trout. mind you i am dead set against illegal introduction of an invasive species like pike in waters where they do not belong. that dose not change the fact i thoroughly enjoy catching pike, with my favorite method being spot and stalk. to me pike are certainly alot more fun to catch and also to eat then trout.

pike palace, let me know if you ever want a pike fishing partner!

If you want some real fun................Hit up a place that gives up 40+ inchers and spot & stalk them with a fly rod!!

Default Redshirt Pike...

Hey, don't mean to thread jump, but... I'm heading to Redshirt next weekend. I've heard there are some nice pike there. Does anyone know where to fish for them from a canoe? Also, what kind of tackle do you use? I mean, do you use a buzz bait, spinners, or herring? Any help would be appreciated...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast