Thread: Hewescraft searunner 18 or 20 foot?

Default Hewescraft searunner 18 or 20 foot?

I've always ben an open skiff fisherman, but I've decided to upgrade.
    I would love to hear from anyone that owns a Hewescraft Searunner 18 foot or 20 foot soft top with or without extended transom. Is there a major difference in how the 18 or 20 footer rides? How does it handle in rough water (3-4 footers maybe). Does the extended transom get in the way for trolling? Any thoughts on fuel efficiency? Does the extended transom make a difference?
    I am trying to decide between buying a bare-bones but brand new 20 foot searunner or 20 foot searunner ET......or a buying a year-old but fully-loaded 18 foot searunner ET for a lot less money. Any suggestions would be much appreciated? Also, any ideas on determining a fair price for a used hewescraft?

Handtroller,

I have a 20' Boulton ET and love it. Great boat and would not want to go any smaller, especially on the ocean. The ET is great - wouldn't have it any other way. However, there are others who believe the ET gets in the way - I think the opposite - great for cleaning fish, access to water, storage of coolers, more room in boat, easy installation of a kicker. Personally, I wouldn't purchase one without it.

I like to stay within max. 3 ft. seas, although I have been in 4 to 5 footers - just not fun and not worth it to me. But to each their own.

I have a 90 hp Honda and fuel efficiency is great, average about 4 miles to the gallon fully loaded. Cruise about 22 to 24 mph.

Hope this is of some help - good luck in your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Buck View Post
    Handtroller,

I have a 20' Boulton ET and love it. Great boat and would not want to go any smaller, especially on the ocean. The ET is great - wouldn't have it any other way. However, there are others who believe the ET gets in the way - I think the opposite - great for cleaning fish, access to water, storage of coolers, more room in boat, easy installation of a kicker. Personally, I wouldn't purchase one without it.

I like to stay within max. 3 ft. seas, although I have been in 4 to 5 footers - just not fun and not worth it to me. But to each their own.

I have a 90 hp Honda and fuel efficiency is great, average about 4 miles to the gallon fully loaded. Cruise about 22 to 24 mph.

Hope this is of some help - good luck in your choice.
    Thanks for the reply. I was looking at Boultons on-line. They look like nice boats....a lot like hewescraft.

Default Hewescraft 18

I used to own an 18' Hewescraft Searunner soft top and was VERY pleased with it. It is a good design to run in seas to 4' (anything more is very worrisome). I had a 35 on it so I could also fish the Kenai. Sold it some time back and was without a boat for a few years. Now have a 17' Hewescraft Searunner and it also has a 35 on it. Unfortunately a two stroke so I can't river it in July, but still a very stable and reliable craft. It is also a soft top. The 17 and 18 are not made for many people to fish from, however. 3 people is comfortable but sometimes you are running into each other. 4 people fishing is crowded. So, if you want to have that many people on the boat, you may want to go with a 20. If you only put 4 in there once in a while, the 18 is very comfortable and has a great design to handle Inlet/Bay/River fishing safely. You just have to pay attention to the weather...............

M

I rented one of the 20' searunners from the folks in whiiter several years back. Great little skiff with a honda 50 on the back.

The upside of a 20 footer is it'll ride a bit smoother in a chop, and it'll have more room for gear and people. The downside is, with more gear and people you'll likely want a bigger engine.

The upside of the 18 is less expensive and a bit more manuverable in tight confines. The downside it it's smaller.

I'd say for two people, the 18 would be the ticket, with 3 or possibly 4, definately go with the 20.

As to handling 4 foot seas, it's more captain than boat at that point. I personally wouldn't be venturing out in 4 foot seas in an open 18-20 foot skiff.

I owned a 19 foot Searunner before. It was a nice entry level boat. Hated the open bow. Even with the cover snapped in place 3-4 feet seas in choppy conditions would come over the top and fill the bow up before it could drain again.
    Mine was powered by a 115 2 stroke Yamaha. A 90 hp might of worked (we always fished with three people on board) but I certaintly would not consider any motor smaller.
    A friend had the same boat and put a 35 hp on it so he could run the Kenai and he tried various props and never could get it up on step. Finally took the motor back and swapped it for a bigger one.

I've got the 17' Sea Runner with the 40 HP Yamaha and still love it after 14 years. Got the love/hate relationship with the open bow, but the kids love it on the lakes. On the salt I just snap down the bow cover with the basket of anchor rope and bouy under it. This push's up the cover just enough that it does not allow the snaps to pop off, but shed the water great those few times I screwed up and "spuded in". I'd like a bigger boat, but then who wouldn't regardless of what you have now? This size is just right for 3 people. Four gets a little crowded.

Default Great Boat...

20ft Jet Craft w/150 Yamaha. The boat is VERY sea worthy and capable, just the right size for 2/3 people. Can get a lil' hairy when the seas dont cooperate.

Mikes #5 002.jpg

i know you asked about 20' but i own a 22' soft top sea runner, works great the motor i went with was the 115, because the extra 2' actually does help. i have fished 5 people on my boat and was very crowded but it worked. if i had to do it over i would get a 150 on it. it handles rough water ok, i have stayed out to long a time or two. most of what a boat will do is more the captain than the boat. i have had some flat seas going out and had some BAD seas on the return trips. i would not head out in 5' seas but have had to return in larger seas, not the smartest and i got soaked even with the soft top. the 115 is a little under powered when the boat is loaded and the seas are rough but it will work and it does use less fuel. out of whittier i can hit main bay, knight island and montegue and back on about 40 gal. the boat has an 85 gal tank. for fishing 3 or 4 people it works fine but it does get crowded. my boat doesn't have the extended transom but it still suits me fine for now. the soft top works well except in rough seas alot of water ends up in my lap from where the canvas meets the windshield. but hewescraft boats make a nice starter boat and you can learn alot in one. let me know i can help answer any more questions for you and good luck on your new boat. jeff payne

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still mulling it over. I have also been eyeing a 1996 21 foot woolridge deep water plus cuddy. It looks like a great deal except for the engine, which is a '96 150 2-stroke evinrude. I would want to upgrade to a four-stroke...so I would end up paying about the same as a new hewescraft and engine.

Default Hewes is a good choice.

I have a 20 ft Sport Jet, Same hull for the most part. 200 HP optimax. pretty decent on gas. mostly fish saltwater with it. Very versital boat. Will run about 40 mph with 6 people. Have been in up to 6 foot seas. A little scary, but handled it fine. Fishing 4 is perfect, anymore starts to get crowded. This will probably be my last year with it since I plan to upgrade to a 24 or 26 ft Pacific Cruiser since I would rather fish on the ocean