Thread: stockd trout, fertile?

Default stockd trout, fertile?

I always thought stocked trout were fertile. I live on a small ,stocked lake in the big lake area(little beaver lake). It's not fished much ,so it has pretty nice rainbows(18"-21" pretty common).It is a non-motorized lake, so, for my son's 10th birthday(yesterday)he got an inflatable raft. The 16"er he brought in to me tonight was fat with eggs. Do unfertile fish make eggs? This was a little bit of a baffle to me...

My understanding of landed locked fish, stocked or not, is they can lay eggs and males can shoot fertile baby gravy but without proper oxygen the eggs will not hatch. Basically without an inlet and outlet trout in a land locked lake cannot successfully reproduce.

o.k. that makes sense...I just thought adfg always said stocked with "fertile"...didn't understand when caught one with roe...i looked again, and they only say fertile when there is a waterway.....ty

but i just went back and read it again...it says scheduled for "sterile" fingerling stocking.....my question is do sterile fish make eggs??not really a big deal- just confuses me ..lol

Default when was it stocked?

It could be that fish was from a few years ago when (maybe) there were still stocking non-triploid fish in there. Triploid fish (sterile) are genetically engineered to be sterile and they don't produce eggs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but triploid fish are typically larger then their non-triploid counterparts. This is most likely due to the fact the tripliod does not have to dedicate any resources towards reproduction. Their main goal in life is to eat and get fat. No sins of the flesh for these fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but triploid fish are typically larger then their non-triploid counterparts. This is most likely due to the fact the tripliod does not have to dedicate any resources towards reproduction. Their main goal in life is to eat and get fat. No sins of the flesh for these fish.
    Correct, gluttony is their only sin.