Thread: Boat wraps for winter time

Default Boat wraps for winter time

Who winters wraps boats here in Anchorage? Also how much does it usally cost? Is it really nessary to wrap you boat or could a big tarp work just as well?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I don't do either. Tarps can really cause havoc with our winter Chinook winds unless they are tied down really well at every possible anchoring point. Even then they can rip and whip around causing damage to a boat's finish. I am sure shrink wrapping is nice but I simply do not feel the need for it especially with an aluminum boat like you have. I prefer letting my boat open and just checking it once or twice during the winter to make sure it is ok. Heck, lots of people do not have garages for there cars and trucks and they make it through the winter in fine shape.
    The exception to this is if you are storing it in an area where there are a lot of falling leaves. They can stain a fiberglass finish but I doubt they will affect your nice Hewescraft.
    For my Sea Sport I just give it a good coat of wax (in addition to engine prep and greasing the prop shafts) and make sure the drain plugs are out and the batteries cables are removed to prevent any possible drain. Fully charged batteries will easily make it through a winter here as they discharge at a slower rate at colder temperatures. The battery shop told me it is better to leave the batteries outside for storage instead of a heated garage. It must work cause I been doing that will all my boat and RV batteries since 1996 and have never replaced one yet. The key is removing the negative cable so they can not drain. And do not forget to re grease the prop shaft(s) !
    Sorry for getting slighlty off post. Dang I hate putting my boat away

Thanks. I was kinda leaning towards bot wrapping it
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

You need to take the battery out and store it in a heated/ warmer then serious freezing temps. I see people bring frozen (actually bulges the sides of a batt) all the time needing replacements on new only one or two season old batterys that are in their motorhomes or boats. dual deep cycles add up to lots of bucks you dont want to spend at the beginning of the year.

I have left fully charged batteries in my RV from Sept till April for six straight years. The key is to make sure they are charged and disconnected. They discharge at a lower rate in colder temperatures.
    They will freeze and be useless if they lose there total charge but if they are disconnected they will be fine.
    Another thought for winterization, I even quit using Stabilizer years ago after noticing a orangish residue in the gas tanks of my ATV's and snowmobiles where I had used it. Modern gas is supposed to have a shelf life of at least 12 months. Some people consider it cheap insurance to add it but I am not one of them. Every year I winterize my ATV's, boat, and RV from Sept till April and I never had any fuel related problems since I stopped using stabilizer in 1992.

AK Offshore Marine on Cinnabar Loop used to shrinkwarp, think they still do. Last I heard $10 a LF.

Brown Bear Body Shop on the New Seward is another that shrinkwraps.

Lowes sells a HD Poly tarp 20' x 30', silver in color for $75, it's what I use, works great.

Neal

I don't know how big your boat is but I bought one of those white canopy/carports from costo. Seems like they are less than $200. Mine has wintered well fot the last couple years. I remove the snow using a broom and pushing from underneath, slides right off. I also anchored it well to the ground with some long stakes. Seems to me that it was well worth the money and doesn't look as bad as the good ol' Alaskan blue tarp.

A canopy never thought of that. Sounds like that might be an idea
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

make some sawhorses, if you have a hardtop boat make one thats like a foot and a half high and then make a tall one and put it on the back of the boat. then put a 2x4 or 6 and screw that into both of the sawhorses. make sure that the 2x4 is slanted back just far enough so the snow will fall off. then get a big tarp and tie it down to the trailer as best as you can. I've done that for years, works fine. the way i have it now is so i can still access the back of the boat do to work in the cabin over the winter. every once in a while after a winter storm a peice of twine will break, but other then that it works great.

Those canopies from Costco are tough. My son suggested we put one up in the back yard to park the snowmobiles or wheelers under it. It is on its 4th season now and still looks pretty good. We have it anchored to half blocks and it has never moved. They are 10 x 20 feet.