Thread: Mystery Flintlock

Default Mystery Flintlock

Some friends had me over for dinner Sat night and they had an old flint lock hanging on the wall.

They said it was from the 1700's. It had extensive ivory and brass inlay in the stock. The barrel was ocagonal with a seven pointed star patern in the bore at the crown. Not sure if it was rifling, but I dont think so. They think it's Arabian, but cant find anyone who knows anything about it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Default mystery flintlock

Prob a picture (worth about 1000 words!) along with a detailed description of firearm as a whole and any identifying maker's marks, foundry stampings, inscriptions....well you get the idea, would be of significant benefit to those knowledgeable in identifying such antiques. I would also include barrel length, composition of stock, any engraving or inlays, over all length, weight etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Prob a picture (worth about 1000 words!) along with a detailed description of firearm as a whole and any identifying maker's marks, foundry stampings, inscriptions....well you get the idea, would be of significant benefit to those knowledgeable in identifying such antiques. I would also include barrel length, composition of stock, any engraving or inlays, over all length, weight etc, etc.
    True, next time I'm over there I'll take some pictures. There was no trigger guard and the trigger was a round button like deal. The butt section of the stock was blocky, not very ergo. There were no stampings or engravings to indicate maker or smith.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Some friends had me over for dinner Sat night and they had an old flint lock hanging on the wall.

They said it was from the 1700's. It had extensive ivory and brass inlay in the stock. The barrel was ocagonal with a seven pointed star patern in the bore at the crown. Not sure if it was rifling, but I dont think so. They think it's Arabian, but cant find anyone who knows anything about it.

Anyone have any ideas?
    sounds mideastern, could you post a picture?
    good luck,
    cable