Thread: Which drop off hunt?

Default Which drop off hunt?

I know it's late, but I now have the opportunity to do a drop off hunt this fall. I can take a week between September 18th and October 5th. I'd like a high success rate hunt and am not particular what the species is, any suggestions?

Talk to our Kotz expert, Walt. Seems like a good time to get a last minute drop for bou in unit 23. Maybe the bou will cooperate and be heading towards Kotz then.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Sounds good, who's Walt?

Default Walt

Try www.northwestalaska.com

I have no personal knowldge of him.

Default Agree...

I agree about asking Walt, a forum member, and outfitter in Kotz. His website is in the above thread, www.northwestalaska.com He helped me a lot on a few floats I did up there in 2004 and 2006 (Kelly and Kugururok Rivers). Both are lower Noatak tribs and great floats. He offered great insights for my trip and we were not even renting his rafts, tents, stoves, etc.. He has high quality gear and a great reputation. He would be THE guy to talk to. He can be contacted via his website. For bush pilot, use Eric Sieh of Hagland Aviation in Kotz. He took us on the Kugururok and will be taking us on the Wulik this Sept. Great pilot and super nice guy.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Does Walt fly? We have a raft, but were wanting to do a fly in drop off this year. Sorry for the confusion.

Default no

Walt does not fly but he can help you find the right guy who can.... I use Jim Kinciad with Northwestern Aviation. Great outfit, we are going with him again this Sept... find them here http://www.alaskaonyourown.com/index.html

Part of the problem you'll find (especially with Unit 23) is that everybody is booked solid for the season already.

You may also try Ralph at Deltana outfitters for a non-float drop hunt out of happy valley on the north slope.... find him here http://www.deltana.com/hunting/about_us.htm

good luck

Greg

Any other good drop off hunts out there?

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    ......outfitters for a non-float drop hunt..

"outfitters" are not permitted [not legal] to do drop hunts