Thread: Hours on an outboard

Default Hours on an outboard

With proper maintenance how many hours can you expect to get out of a 115 to 150 hp outboard? Are they rebuildable or disposable?

5000-10,000 hours, though you might need a rebuild along the way.

It really depends on how you use the motor, how heavily it's loaded, propped, maintenance et al.

If you can afford the fuel to get that many hours on an engine, the rebuild will seem cheap in comparision

2k before it starts acting up, needing a rebuild. But by then it is almost cheaper to buy a new one with a warranty if you run that much. I get about 400 hours a summer. This year may be less, but I know I'll run a Honda 45 alot more starting end of the month.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default If

it is a Merc with a jet......20 hours if it catches air

I have 300 hour on my 2005 250 Evinrude w/jet and still going strong. Plugs are a bear though as they have to be changed each season and indexed.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I agree with Paul. You will get a lot of hours out of one. I have a mid 70s 6 hp Evinrude Twin that has about a zillion hours on her that I use for trolling. It has never been rebuild, but the carb has and the pull rope has been changed. Most importantly, it almost always starts on the first pull.