Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adak Island???

Default Adak Island???

Hello everyone, I'm new to the board, looks like some great information on here. I've hunted Alaska on my own for Black Bear and Moose. I want to start planning a Caribou hunt for 2008. I know there are lots of do it yourself options. I am interested in all of the options, floating, drop camps, and of course the Haul Road. Lately I've been considering Adak Island. I'm not concerned about the cost of getting there. I like the potential trophy quality that the island offers. My concern is logistics after getting to the island. Looking for any information or advice, all is welcome and appreciated.

Default Adak info

Hondo,

The biggest obstacle facing Adak hunters is access to the best hunting areas. The bottom line is that there are no air transporters out there (a guide tried it a couple of years ago and only was able to fly two days out of the season because of the weather out there). There are people with boats, but even that is unreliable and totally dependant on the weather. I've been there and can tell you first-hand that the weather is unbelievably bad. It's not a real pleasant hunt.

For someone new to Alaska, you'd probably be better off hunting caribou elsewhere to start off, then get to Adak later.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You might want to look into the cost before saying you don't care about the cost. I just checked on Alaska air, suprisingly the flights aren't more expensive than when I checked a few years back, which is $1200 r/t. They only fly on Sundays and Thursdays, and you can expect weahter delays, so allow extra time for the hunt, and extra $ for getting stuck out there, or in King Salmon on the outbound leg.

As Michael mentioned, you'll have to look into costs of an outfitter out there.

I'd expect travel costs/ outfitting to a minimum of $3k, and as mentioned, the odds of getting weathered out are quite high. Most other caribou areas can be traveled to for $2k or under.

Default But think of what the man is asking...

He doesn't want the Haul Road BS, all them slob hunters, & doesn't want competition, so he is spending a little dough on a nice secluded hunt with high trophy pontential...Besides, the fishing out there is stupendous, according to someone I know who worked out there. I'll grant you, the weather may not be the best, but what part of Western AK has decent weather?

If you have the money & the time, I don't see why Adak wouldn't be considered, as there aren't tons of slob hunters flocking to inflict there carnage on the 'bou population like they do on the Haul Road.

One thing you should do is call the Aleut Corp. & get as much information as you can.

Default Just be aware that......

The Bou on Adak are planted....... they are not a naturally occurring herd

Some of the racks are a little hinky which I think might be due to inbreeding over the last 40+ years

Because there are no REAL winters, no predators and lots of feed the animals do get quite large

Sometimes you can drive to the hunting areas and hike out to the caribou.....sometimes you need to boat.......depends on where they are

The other thing to be aware of is you will not see any bears, wolves, wolverines etc etc etc..... the island is barren of almost all other wildlife except birds........

I don't know where somebody got the word on fishing but same deal there.......a few salmon (mostly pinks) and some trout that've been planted

Adak was a cool place to visit for a while....but if I was coming to Alaska I'd much rather go to REAL Alaska and see more...... Adak is basically a game farm with (potentially) VERY crappy weather

Default Just be aware that......

The Bou on Adak are planted....... they are not a naturally occurring herd

Some of the racks are a little hinky which I think might be due to inbreeding over the last 40+ years

Because there are no REAL winters, no predators and lots of feed the animals do get quite large

Sometimes you can drive to the hunting areas and hike out to the caribou.....sometimes you need to boat.......depends on where they are

The other thing to be aware of is you will not see any bears, wolves, wolverines etc etc etc..... the island is barren of almost all other wildlife except birds........

I don't know where somebody got the word on fishing but same deal there.......a few salmon (mostly pinks) and some trout that've been planted

Adak was a cool place to visit for a while....but if I was coming to Alaska I'd much rather go to REAL Alaska and see more...... Adak is basically a game farm with (potentially) VERY crappy weather

There are many options between the haul road and Adak. I see both of those hunts as extreme in one way or the other.

Default adak

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the board, looks like some great information on here. I like the potential trophy quality that the island offers. My concern is logistics after getting to the island. Looking for any information or advice, all is welcome and appreciated.

you may want to contact "wags" from this board. i would consider him to be the resident expert on adak, he is a wealth of info'. he may be able to help you, not only with first hand info' about the island but, logistically as well when you are there?

i have not hunted with him, but consider him to be reputable. i will likely go with him myself one on one next year. he has done quite well there for his clients.

good luck, hope that helps.

What's the estimated caribou population on Adak island? Isn't this the same island where quite a few 400+ B&C bulls are taken?

Default herd size

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    What's the estimated caribou population on Adak island? Isn't this the same island where quite a few 400+ B&C bulls are taken?
    The latest numbers I heard from those who should know is about 3,500 head. I dunno about "quite a few 400+ bulls being taken". Sounds like an exaggeration to me. There's LOTS of inaccessible area out there and much of it is as inhospitable as the moon. I'll be there again in October on work related stuff, and will be happy to report on the weather and such then...

=Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Adak Costs

If you're thinking of flying to Adak, look for a milage ticket. It can be the best use of 20,000 miles that you'll ever find.

Default If you can hike

I worked out on Adak after the Navy pulled most of its people out and was in the process of shutting down. There were no private boats or airplanes on island and the only way to hunt was to either wait for some caribou to wander onto the meager road system around the base (which didn't happen often) or go hike after them. I've taken several from out there, however, the closest to the road was 4 miles. Each time I had a hunting partner and we were able to carry all the meat in one trip. I did intentionally shoot smaller animals so that we could carry them in one trip.

I don't know what the logistics are like out there now, but if you make plan A a boat drop off/ pickup, with plan B being to go after them on foot if the weather is too bad, you should get something. It's not a flat island with nice trails, you do need to be in very good shape. And also, we considered a 30 mph wind a "light breeze" when we were working out there.

Default Adak

I would recomend Saint George island. I had a fantastic time there last year. We harvested several very nice bulls. The people are friendly, the scenery beautiful and access not all that bad. HOWEVER weather is once again a huge factor many people get stuck for more then two weeks! There is a small local hotel very clean and nice and it has a beautiful kitchen, I know i trained some of the cooks! All in all a very beautiful place with very productive hunting but the fur seals, flowers and birds take a priority so riding a 4 wheeler is strictly regulated and this forces you to make long long packs. Kind of stinks as you could have driven to the animals! The island is kind of unique as the envirementilists, hunters, and birders all get along and have fun. Notice i did not say tree huggers as there is only one tree on the entire island planted near the church! Truly friendly helpful people. If you have time i reccomend it. Chef

Wink St. George

Don't let Viktor kid you. Its NOT POSSIBLE to fly to St. George Island

Default herd size

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

2,700-3,000 animals.

Arrow 2006 adak scorecard

wags had a great season. 14 hunters taking 16 bulls. one made all time b and c, several other made the annual.

lots of problems due to one slob "outfitter"/transporter. plenty of damage done.

2007 is already sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    wags had a great season. 14 hunters taking 16 bulls. one made all time b and c, several other made the annual.

lots of problems due to one slob "outfitter"/transporter. plenty of damage done.

2007 is already sold out.
    What was they guy? A guide/outfitter or a transporter? What kind of damage? Circumstances etc?

Default Caribou

How about Unimak Island? I know they get some nice bulls out there. I had a bear permit there in 1986 but wasnt able to go.

Default Boat operator

There was boat operator out there this summer and early fall on Adak,
    They started killing caribou in July. The racks were of course rubber and not fully developed. Kinda waste if you ask me. The boat was quite Agressive and took many groups. I talked to the gals at the Airport in Adak during my visit in December and they said 30 to 40 hunters per flight each week from July to Oct.
    Many people hunted from the road system, but that is so limited. Hiking cross country to other parts of the Island are not something I would do. I am not into hauling loads and loads of caribou 5 miles or more.
    Adak is a huge place. When I was there in December, we had 80 mph winds with gusts to over 100 mph.
    The Island is a beautiful place with very steep terrain.
    Without good access with a boat to the southern end of the island, I would not do the trip again.
    here are a few pictures of Adak. from 2006
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Adak

When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast