Thread: 3 1/2" 12ga vs 10ga

Default 3 1/2" 12ga vs 10ga

So what are everyones views on the difference between 3 1/2" in 12ga vs 10ga? I understand the 12ga is more versitile with different size shells but would and can you accomplish the same thing shooting a 12 compared to a 10 at longer distances with different chokes or is it just easier to go with the 10ga? Just trying to get other waterfowl hunters views on both calibers. Thanks in advance

Default IMO

A 12 guage 3" is just as deadly at 60 yards as a 12 guage 3.5 inch - typically, a good shot doesn't need more bb's - they need more range...longer range is obtained by SPEED. A 3.5" shell pushes the BB's the same speed as a 3" shell - there is no advantage.

I don't have any 10 guage experience and haven't done any research on speeds, pressures etc. so I can't comment in that arena.

If you want more down range knockdown power - pony up for bismuth or similar shells in a 3" 12er.........should be able to knock em dead at 80 yards like the old lead days.

Me - I like em in close whenever possible....snap the head off at 10 yards.........that is FUN!

Holy crap 10 guage You plan on mixing a brown bear/duck hunt with that cannon?

10 gauges are a waste of money.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Heavy Smoke

The Bigger The Cigar The More Funner They Are To Smoke !
    Both Kill Just Fine. Smoke'them If You Got Them!!!

just go with the 12, the 10's shells cost probbaly about twice as much and there is no need for a 10 gauge for ducks.

I think there is a place for both. I shoot both of them on a regular basis and find myself preferring my SP10, because I seem to hit more with that gun. If I am traveling I take the 12, unless I know I have plenty of shells and I still take the 12 for a backup. If you were looking for just one gun. I would go with a good 12 GA 3.5.

I figured everyone was joking about a 10 guage for ducks. Do people actually use them? Why in the heck would you use a cannon to hunt ducks? Sounds kinda dumb to me to be using a gun that kicks like a mule and shells that cost an arm and a leg to buy. But to each his own.....I guess.

This sums it up...LOL...

RUSTY PUPPY

The Bigger The Cigar The More Funner They Are To Smoke !

Default Old 10g

My grandfather gave me an old Ithica autoloader in 10g. I love shooting it. Its heavy and percieved recoil is just that of my 12g. Its just plain fun. If I'm meaning buisness I get the Extrema out.

I don't think it's all that though. I put 3 rounds on a goose once and it still had some life in it.

It is expensive to shoot but we don't hunt ducks to save $$$$$$$$$.

Smoke em if you got em! I love that saying.

A 10 ga actually has less recoil than a 12 ga and will pattern better. Forcing that much powder and pellets down the smaller 12 ga barrel is nearing the limits and pressure, patterns and recoil all suffer. My next waterfowl specific gun will probably be a 10 ga.

However, as stated above, the shells are hard to find and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    So what are everyones views on the difference between 3 1/2" in 12ga vs 10ga? I understand the 12ga is more versitile with different size shells but would and can you accomplish the same thing shooting a 12 compared to a 10 at longer distances with different chokes or is it just easier to go with the 10ga? Just trying to get other waterfowl hunters views on both calibers. Thanks in advance
    You're correct that the Supermags in the 12ga. is versatile-extemely! Nothing wrong with the 10 ga. either but I don't use it on ducks-often.

No shotgun is going to be an easy recoiler for sure, what helps is if you buy a Simms pad and sand it down to fit the stock and your length of pull-on a wood stock or if you can find a pre-fit that makes it all the easier.

The BPS 10 ga. with the 30" tube is a joy-I immediately installed a Simms and a ported choke. Love to knock down geese with that.

I've owned the Mossberg camo shooting the 12ga 3 1/2" and it wore out a cross pin that was synthetic-sent it back under warranty, fixed. The action after some 10 cases or so never was smooth again although cleaned regurarly just never was-gave to a young hunter to use.

Next shotgun will be Browning BPS 12ga., can't go wrong with a Remington if you are choosing one now. Always working, parts easily available and points well.

Have Browning pump 10 ga, used in Montana for geese only. Used T shot, one shot kills, no cripples. I would not want to carry this fine weapon very far, it is heavy, but fun to shoot
    NRA Lifetime Member

I have both, I love my SP-10, it patterns very well and has knocked down a lot of snow geese for me over the years pass shooting back in the midwest. The 10ga autos don't kick much at all, not even close to an 870. They are heavy but swing and shoot nice. I shoot both 12 and 10, shells for the 10 are a little more expensive but I have a good stock from back in the day. Heck, just for fun I bring along my H&R single shot ten, 36" barrel and it kills at both ends! Lots of fun and brings back good memories. Plus it does a number on cripples when needed.

Default Original Super Goose 10

YES WHEN I WAS A KID I USE TO CARRY ONE OF THESE BOLT ACTION CANNONS IN TO THE FIELD. NOT ALWAYS GETTING IT SNUGLY PLACED INTO MY SHOULDER WILL EXERCISING THE BOLT! OUCH! DAD ALWAYS LOL

Default Ithica MAG 10

You guys bring back good memories. I tell my uncle to find me a 10ga double for a couple hundred bucks to throw in the duck blind to kill canadians (geese). He calls me a week later and tells me he got me a 10ga come pick it up. He pulls out this cannon of a shotgun, Ithica MAG 10 with a 36" barrel. He says it was only, $450. I am a poor college kid at the time. He says don't worry you use it for as long as you want and give it back to me when you done (Nothing like an uncle with no wife and kids that is a told gun nut). I used that gun for many years before I gave it back. They put a sling on that gun for a reason. I used to carry both a 12ga and that 10ga to the blind every day. I brought the 10ga just for the occational goose. I then started shooting the 10ga. I pulled a triple with it one day which was cool for a big ole gun with a mile long barrel. I finally gave it back and went to a 870 super mag. But the 10ga was a duck killing machine. Always seemed to do a better job for me. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I have both shotguns a benelli super nova 3.5 inch and a browning pump shotgun the gold edition in 10 guage. There really isnt to much difference in the two loads. Kind of like the difference in a 16 and 20 guage. I have hunted waterfowl with 20-10 guage shotguns and if you cant hit them with a 20 guage you wont hit them with a 10 guage either. I hunt waterfowl a lot more than your average duck hunter probably 60 times a season. There is a bit of downrange performance gained by the 3" to the 3.5" jump because you have more pellets and a better pattern. I shoot a lot of ducks, geese, and sandhills. The main difference in a 3" and a 3.5 is I get FAR less cripples and more instant dead critters at the end of my barrel. I love to take the BPS 10ga. out late season when I can run out to waterfalls and creeks and shoot a passing shot at 75 yards and kill the duck dead.....