Thread: Packing List

Default Packing List

I am doing my first drop off sheep hunt on the Sheenjak river with four other guys. I am wondering what I should pack and what kind of clothing I will need. Also does anyone have any suggestions for a good boot that can be used when in sheep country as well as the lower tundra? If anyone has a packlist I would appreciate it.

Check past posts using the search function. I know packing lists have been discussed several times as well as pack weights.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

AK4774:

Wow, four guys on a sheep hunt...are you guys splitting up or trying to all jockey for the one or two legals in a drainage?

I agree, use the search function, as there is an abundance of good (and some not-so-good) information on the topics in question. Here are my quick thoughts:

What kind of clothing? Layers. Enough that when combined can keep you alive during the coldest expected temps. Synthetics and/or wool, but no cotton.

Good boot? If you want good tundra/approach hike performance I would shy away from the plastic mountaineering boots. Go try a bunch on and throw on a pack before you decide, as the pack weight alters foot pressure points. Check out brands such a Meindl, Lowa, La Sportiva, etc.

Attached is my blank gear list. I certainly don't pack everything on the list, but offer each item at least a passing consideration whilst packing. Again, you will find several other gear lists if you search the site.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default my gear list

This probably isn't perfect, but this is what I start with. The food weight is part of a formula on the food tab. It automatically updates. On the main page, weight can be entered in pounds and tenths driectly or if you only know pounds and ounces, enter it in those columns and it will show you the pounds and tenths.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Thanks

Only two of us are after sheep the other other two guys are mainly there for caribou and to help pack. Thanks everyone for the help

If you want a boot that will do the Tundra and the Mountain I think your down to the Lowa Vs Kenetrek vs Meindl. They are all great boots, I have not looked into the Meindls too much but I have the Kenetreks and have stood in a glacial river for 20 minutes clearing a jet foot and they never leaked. I have spent a couple days in them on the mountains with no blisters. I hiked 8+ miles in them soaking wet after fording a thigh deep river without any blisters as well. My buddy loves his lowa's and he has put MANY miles on them with similar results both in the tundra and on the mountains. I plan on moving to scarpa's for sheep after my Kene's break down but they and the La sportiva's just seem better fit for dedicated mountain boots. As far as your pack list, you really need to spend time hiking and at least "mock" hunting. Take everything you think you will need and then when you get back start tossing out stuff that you didn't use. Many things that I won't leave home without my buddies never use, and the same goes the other way around.

Default Food

A bit off subject, but I sent this to someone recently and thought I would share it here. It is about food ideas for extended trips.

For breakfast, we like bagels with the precooked bacon packs. The Boars Head comes in two seperate pouches which is convenient. Oscar Meyer comes in one bigger pack. We like block cheese and Harvest Food eggs (see their website for all kinds of great products). I use their powdered oil/shortening in my dutch oven. Works just like regular oil but without the weight/mess. We also take hot oatmeal and recently discovered Richmoor cold cereal. Just add water type. It comes in granola with strawberries and granola with raspberries. Both are delicious. I am 6' 6" and weigh 300 lbs. So I will buy 4 packs of the cereal and vacuum seal. 2.5 for me and 1.5 for my wife. If you eat a 2,000 calorie a day diet normally, perhaps one pack would be enough for breakfast. They taste great. I buy mine from www.wildernessdining.com This site sells lots of other great food items. Check out their website for all kinds of food related items. Great selection of hard to find items. I get the peanut butter and jelly individual packs there too. Great for putting on flour tortilla wraps or bagels for snacks/lunches. Very convenient. Comes with strawberry or grape jelly. These are larger packs and have plenty to make a sandwich or bagel. They also sell cheese in packs like this. That with some pilot bread would make a great snack/lunch.

For lunch we take Mountain House Pro Paks. Vacuum sealed and slightly smaller portions than the regular Mtn House meals, they pack small and light yet are plenty for lunch. They come in about 10 different types. Spaghetti, Chili Mac, and Lasagna are my favorites. Go to the Mountain House website and order there. I just placed a big order myself for an upcoming NW Alaska float in Sept. They ship fast. One nice thing about having these meals for lunch everyday is that it makes things simple. No meal planning. Save that for the dinners. Keep it simple. Just boil some water riverside and have lunch. This route also saves weight compared to many other food ideas.

For dinner, we go through more trouble. For the purpose of good morale perhaps. We take Darn Good (brand) dried chilli bags and make Jiffy cornbread in the dutch oven. We also make grayling gumbo. We take Zatarains Gumbo (dry mix) and slivers of about 2 lbs of grayling. Cook slow while the Bisquick garlic biscuits cook in the aluminum GSI 10" dutch oven. It only weighs 4 lbs and can be found on the wilderness dining website above. Also at Campmor.com. We cook fish for about 3/7 meals too. Usually dolly vardon (arctic char). We get Idaho instant potatoes (garlic is our favorite). We will make garlic bisuits in the dutch oven to go with. We also make mac and cheese to go with fish. Simple things like that. Some of the easy to make Suddenly Salad brands are nice too. They have a ranch and italian cold pasta salad. Great sides for a fish meal. We have also packed the 10" pita pizza deals. Take the pizza sauce in the bags and some block cheese to grate. Two person may be enough. And of course the pepperoni. In a pinch, we will just have one of the extra Mtn House Pro Paks. Maybe too tired to cook or got into camp late. Bad weather and such. I always carry 2-3 extra Mtn House Pro Paks. One tip, tape a disposable plastic spoon to the lasagna packs. The cheese in them is nearly impossible to get off your standard Lexan spoon. We burn the disposable spoon with the bag the meal was in. Dishes done.

Save the clean lexan spoon for stirring the 100 proof peppermint schnapps into the hot chocolate. Also, Captain Morgans rum and hot apple cider is a good camp fire drink. For other times of the day, we take Crystal Light sticks and perhaps one gatorade packet per person/per day.

For deserts, we take the Backpackers Pantry (brand) cheese cake and cream pie (same things). I love lemon, but chocolate mouse, strawberry, banana, and dark chocolate are great. Just add and stir some cold water into the bag, then sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top (included in the pack) and then let it sit and think for about 10 minutes. This desert must be tried. Amazing stuff.

For snacks, the normal fare. Dried fruit and beef jerky vacuum seals to very small packs. Leave out the mango and apricots as it makes everything sticky. We love Cliff bars as they can get squished and are not effected by heat. Comes in about 20 flavors. And of course some home made gorp with the larger size M&M's.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.