Thread: Alaska State Field Championships

Default Alaska State Field Championships

OK, so where are the scores?? Who has bragging rights for another year??

Not me I did not go this year. been so busy I haven't touched my bow in a year almost. I will pick it up next week. Got to get ready for my haul rd Grizzly.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Markus beat Harry by 5 points to set a new state record in BHFS. Score??? I got third, but was way behind. I've shot more arrows at Redding and State Field than I have in practice for the last 8 months..so I felt pretty good about my score.

Jen Doerry won female BHFS and set a State Record.

My son Justin was the only cub to complete both days. He set a new State Record by 5 points. Beating Tyler Wortham's 2001 record.

Joe Carson of Faibanks won the Men's Freestyle.

Default congratulations

Doug,

thanks for the report, maybe I can give yall a run for your money in a year after I survive Iraq. Congrats to the Marcus and Jen, class acts, can't wait to be competing with them.

Might have to get back into the competion mode this fall.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Bring it on Gary...LOL... I don't think I will have an indoor season any more. No Fletchers..and no way I'm driving to Eagle River

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Bring it on Gary...LOL... I don't think I will have an indoor season any more. No Fletchers..and no way I'm driving to Eagle River
    Seems like a few of us here in Anchorage have lost the desire to shoot spots. I'm trying to get back into it but life is keeping me busy.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default just my thoughts

I told myself when I come back to alaska that I would focus on my family, I do plan on shooting locally--but I plan on competing in both the FS and the BHFS classes for state indoor. I told my wife i wouldn't go to a national level competition unless she went with me--so Vegas it will be. I won't get wrapped around scores like i did previously, what happens is what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfool View Post
    I told myself when I come back to alaska that I would focus on my family, I do plan on shooting locally--but I plan on competing in both the FS and the BHFS classes for state indoor. I told my wife i wouldn't go to a national level competition unless she went with me--so Vegas it will be. I won't get wrapped around scores like i did previously, what happens is what happens.
    Since my return from Iraq I lost interest in shooting spots. Also my twins came so I gave up on shooting for the most part except when hunting season is here. Next week I will pick up the bow and shoot a little bit to get ready.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default just my thoughts

Gary,

Its like anything, priorities change, as much as I like competiting, lets face it, 60xs wont get you into heaven--and they can't make up for family time lost. I shot 110xs this year in missouri states-i practiced 1/3 of what i used to, so for me at this point--i need to practice--just not as much as I was before. You have no idea how much we can't wait to get back up there!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfool View Post
    Gary,

Its like anything, priorities change, as much as I like competiting, lets face it, 60xs wont get you into heaven--and they can't make up for family time lost. I shot 110xs this year in missouri states-i practiced 1/3 of what i used to, so for me at this point--i need to practice--just not as much as I was before. You have no idea how much we can't wait to get back up there!!!!!!
    Looking forward in seeing you again.

I'm sure With a week of practice I will be back to where I was before.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If you are a good solid archer you can quit for quite a while and still shoot well. My score at State Field was only 10 points lower than my personal bests at State over the whole weekend. I refuse to become one of the ethics police that thinks you need to shoot 60 arrows a day, every day, to be called a bowhunter.

I'm in the same boat as Wayne. My kids are growing up fast and I don't really want to give up that time to attempt to be a national level shooter. However, shooting is still one of my favorite hobbies and the money I spend on going to national shoots still feels like it is worth it. I now have friends all over the country that I really enjoy visiting. I just don't worry about my scores and have a good time. I'm already planning for my Redding trip next year I spend every day with my wife, so she has no interest in going to Redding..that's a good thing