Thread: stepped in a trap

Default stepped in a trap

Yesterday afternoon while fishing in one of my favorite places I stepped on a trap. Thankfully my foot spread the width of the trap so I was uninjured, but it was placed in an area that Children frequent. I am sure that the trap had been left since winter.
    It has been a few years since I did any trapping but what are the regulations for the big lake area regarding where you can set traps?

No regs on where to trap around Big Lake. Anywhere is legal but obviously need permission on private prop.
    If you have trapped before, didn't you recognize what size trap it was? Was it big enough to be a wolf trap, or more like a lynx trap? Few regularly used models of modern traps are large enough to even catch a child.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Cool not my trap yet

Would I be guilty of recieving stolen property if you gave it to me (assuming you took the trap)? Cause I would like to have another lynx or bigger size trap.

Never did any wolf trapping so I'm not sure. The trap is a little different then the ones I used to use. It is a foot trap with a jaw span of maybe 6 or so inches. Instead of the compression springs that I had seen on the traps that I used to use this one has 2 coil springs on the side. There was no markings or tags. From the location of the trap I think it was intended for a water critter probably otter.
    Do you think it is stealing to pick up a trap in such instances?

First off since season is closed so the trap should be reported to the troopers. Secondly if the trap is being used for a damage complaint by someone then it could be there legally. Either way it should be left for the troopers to decide.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Ok, Well I don't think this was ether one of those situation. I am pretty sure that it was sitting there since this last winter. But it is not a big deal to put it back.

Default Troopers

People like you are amazing otterman why would you call the troopers it sounds like an honest mistake to me you run into flood waters or thick ice real quick sometimes so traps can be lost. Really what do you think the troopers are going to do with a rusty trap finger print it I think they could be doing more important things.

Quote Originally Posted by moosehead08 View Post
    it sounds like an honest mistake to me you run into flood waters or thick ice real quick sometimes so traps can be lost. .
    With that said. I lost it, and would like it back.

Default Alright

yeah I think you can find it on big dogs foot.

This thread reminds me of a joke about a guy out duck hunting. Responding to a call of nature, he squatted over a trap. When he woke up in the ER, the Doc asked him if that was the worst pain he had ever felt in his life? The guy replied, "NO" it was when I hit the end of the chain.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

MY point is it is a set trap, sounded like in a lake tied or staked down out of season. In an area people frequent. If it was lost the attempt to recover should have been made at break up. If it was tied or staked down it should not have been a hard recovery. He does not say it was not then IMO it is an illegal set we have a responsibility as trappers to recover our traps and snares and in a area he describes it is even more important. So if you find a guy trapping fox in july you suggest we just ignore his set and not notify the troopers and just assume the trap is lost?? No one should ever mess with another persons traps without permission. How do we know that this possibly wasn't some guy working a damage complaint for the state on beaver? We don't and big dogs info isn't enough to tells us that it isn't ever year in Alaska beaver are taken out of season primarily in areas that culverts are being plugged. I have been the trapper in some of these cases and if my trap was removed in a situation like this you can bet I would be talking to the troopers as I bet you would to moosehead. So why does that give someone the right to decide otherwise. It should be a decision made by the troopers if there is an active damage complaint going on they should know about it. If you find a bunch of traps hanging in a tree do you have the right to remove them? It is all the same you don't mess with other peoples traps period.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Hmm, ok. The trap was wired to a tree on the edge of a creek. To the best of my knowledge there has not been any beaver problems in the area and it is not the type of area that beaver usualy frequent. The trap had obviously been there for quite some time. It was rusty and had plants growing through it.
    Since otterman is so adamant I will contact F&G troops and see what they have to say.

You also have to realize that nobody traps this time of year, its clearly a forgot one from some line in the past, heck it could have been there for years. The reason I say no one traps this time of year is that pelts arnt worth anything who would want a summer pelt. Just hang it in a tree, Im sure the trapper who lost it will appretiate having it back without the troopers being called in. Anyone that has never made a mistake and never forgot a snare or a trap surley hasnt been doing it long enough. Yes I know its illegal by the book, but lets be realistic. S#it happens