Thread: Small, But Heavy-Duty Air Compressor

Default Small, But Heavy-Duty Air Compressor

I'm looking to purchase a heavy-duty air compressor for inflating atv and truck tires when on outdoor trips. Can anyone recommend a reliable brand/model that has worked well for them. All the ones I have seen in stores and catalogs are mostly plastic and not very durable looking. They look like they would burn out after a couple of truck tires. Thanks for any help.

It may be a little cheaper made than you're looking for, but I bought a Black and Decker 400 Amp jumpstarter with integrated air compressor and power inverter with 110V AC outlets. I've had it for about a year or so, and although a little bulky, it works great- use the heck out of it. I would say that it needs to be kept dry mostly, but I've gotten it a little wet and it still works fine. I use it for running lights (does a florescent worklight for days of off and on use), and for airing up my rhino and truck tires (had a leaky one on the truck for a few days)

I think it was around $100 at Wal-mart.

Quote Originally Posted by ak hunter View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a heavy-duty air compressor for inflating atv and truck tires when on outdoor trips. Can anyone recommend a reliable brand/model that has worked well for them. All the ones I have seen in stores and catalogs are mostly plastic and not very durable looking. They look like they would burn out after a couple of truck tires. Thanks for any help.
    Are you wanting to take it on the wheeler with you or just leave it in the truck?
    EricL

I would like to be able to take it with me on the four wheeler in case I had a flat way out somewhere, but I would rather make sure that it was durable enough to stand up to use on large truck tires. So if I had to buy a smaller one to haul on the wheeler that would be fine. Thanks for the suggestions/help.

Quote Originally Posted by ak hunter View Post
    I would like to be able to take it with me on the four wheeler in case I had a flat way out somewhere, but I would rather make sure that it was durable enough to stand up to use on large truck tires. So if I had to buy a smaller one to haul on the wheeler that would be fine. Thanks for the suggestions/help.
    From what iv'e seen they don't make one that I would carry in the truck and ATV. Mainly because one carried in the truck needs to have a 20 foot cord and that is TOO much extra crap to carry on an atv.
    These 20$ atv ACs sold by walmart and Napa are INDUSTRUCTABLE, CHEAP AND COME WITH A BOTTLE OF GOO. So I would buy one of those and make an extra 20 foot cord that I carried in the truck for use.
    Absolutly no reason to spend more than that on an AC. overkill and waste of money, and this is coming from someone who overkills and wastes money

I bought one at Walmart. It is the one with the bottle of slime included. A little loud but not really and issue. If I had a flat or low tire, I wouldn't care if it sounded like a jet plane Think I paid 22.00 for it.

I got the Slime brand portable air compressor from Cabelas a month ago. It supposedly goes up to something like 100 psi (although I have no illusions that it would take a LONG time to fill anything at that pressure). We were on a trail when someone had a flat, and when their little Campbell-Hausfeld quit filling the tire, this one charged right in.

I have one I got at WM. Think I paid $12 for it. Just used it for the first time last weekend at Bird Creek helping someone out. Very slow but also very small and cheap!! 12v powered.
    EricL

I been using the Wal Mart 12 volt pump for years. It works and works well. As other posters replied it is a little slow but it pumped up a flat tire on my wife's car from flat to 35 psi in about 7 minutes.

I'll have to stop by and look at Walmart and/or Napa for a small one for my four wheeler. What have you guys found that works well for carring in a truck to inflate tires to around 60 psi? I'm trying to avoid purchasing a complete piece of foreign junk that fails me the first time I need it (although we increasingly make some pretty cheap crap ourselves). Thanks for the help.

I sell those cheap plastic $20 units... the same one has been in my quad tool box for three seasons now. Still works.