Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best polorized glasses for Alaska fishing?

Default Best polorized glasses for Alaska fishing?

I have a tripped plan for Aug 1 to the 7th with my wife, 6 week old girl and 7 year old step son. I plan on hitting the usual spots..the russian, homer fishing hole, bird creek, maybe ship and Jims. How do ya'll feel about a 7 year old at these spots?
    Also, what brand glasses to the locals use for sight fishing? Here on the Gulf coast, Pensacola Florida, a lot of people use Costa Del Mar glasses. Would those suffice?
    Also,what do the locals expect during that time frame? I see that the late run reds are late, hopefully they will be in full swing when I get there. I usually come up the last week of June so I don't know what to expect this time.
    Thanks for any replies-

Have nothing but high marks for the SMITH ActionOptics line of polarized sunglasses.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I got maui Jims at costco for $94.

A little expensive for me but the reds could not escape my bionic eyes

Costco sells ray bans as well. All cheaper than anywhere else Ive seen.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Default You don't need to spend a ton of money.

I'm sure the other shades recommended are much nicer than what I use, but I've got a pair of $20 cheapies ("Chilis") from REI that work just fine for sight fishing for reds on the Russian. And they protect eyeballs from flying hooks and lead as well as anything else.

Hi soda!! Good glass's, and I think your timing will be excellent. I hear pinks are starting to show in Hope, and some silvers in homer. They are being caught in the salt so that's a good sign. Numbers are Down in the Kenai so far but the last two years were like this. I'm hopeful there will be millions of fish hitting the first week of Aug (plus that is my dipnetting weekend!!)
    So fingers crossed for both of us.

Default Maui Jims

I have quite a few pairs of different glasses and the Maui Jim's are my hands down favorite. Their HCL Bronze lens color has worked great in all lighting conditions up here. The Smith's are nice, but they don't wrap my noggin' close enough and light gets in from the sides. I'd highly recommend getting glass lenses though. I've seen the 100% Deet products mess up Poly Carb lenses pretty bad if you're going to be spraying with that stuff. If you want the Poly Carbs, just make sure you take them off before coating in the Deet and you'll be safe. I take mine off anyways, but sometimes I've forgotten and the glass lenses have been unaffected by the overspray.

Default Action Optics

I also like the Action Optics. I'd get the glass lenses (don't scratch easily and won't be affected by the bug spray). Take a look at their copper photochromatic lenses, they change colors based on how bright it is out. They make everything look clearer and sharper.

I've had some more expensive pairs and some cheaper pairs. I couldn't tell a huge difference, and after leaving a couple of expensive pairs on top of the car, or having them fall in the river while I was fiddling with stuff, I now go for the cheaper pairs. Usually spend no more than $30, and can generally see enough to catch something.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Another vote for Maui Jim's.

I use the $10 wally world specials. You can see into the water just as well and I loose them far too often to buy expensive glasses.

i like my amber colored polarized oakleys. before i splurged though i admit i used the walmart renegades they work just fine, went through several pair but they are cheap enough to do that with. i even keep an extra pair in the tackle box just in case.

Oakleys polarized. I used a lot of cheap polarized that work fine. But I got a lot of eye strain from wearing the cheap ones. Plus the Oakley have a better clarity in general.

I just recently picked up a pair of Haber Visions, nice glasses. I picked up some amber lenses and love them (bellagio frame), makes those low light overcast days a little easier.

http://www.habervision.com/

I also like the action optics, tehy have treated me well.

Maui Jims with the rose colored lenses

Do a search and you will find a good thread on it.
    But my 2 cents is Polar Eyes
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Glasses

I have always used Costa del Mars. They are excellent in cutting the glare and help you see the fish.

I had my pair for about five years, Then I broke the frames in half at the nose piece. All I did was send to have them repaired and I had them back in about 10 days. The repair cost me about 30 bucks. Great customer service.

I hope this helps

Cool i use cheapo's

1st due to the fact that i tend to lose them alot. #2 after watching my wifes 300 dollar prescription glasses float by me on the russian i could have well you know. There is one cool looking rainbow with her shades on and my wedding band. I gave her the band ot put on her necklace and she put it in her pouch off it went to. Within 20 minutes of the glasses. Anyway I have bought the ones wally world sells and see fish fine. I do have alot of experience on the water and know what im looking for im sure that helps a bit. The pair i have now I bought in Tampa in march, Dont even know the brand but the work like a champ and I think i only paid around 24 bucks for them. If you spend the money put some tethers on them or croagies or whatever the heck they are called. Just ask my wife
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default The kind that work

I am forced into what they put my perscription into! Make sure you have a headband for them and you will do fine.
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

For me, I find the most comfortable and the one I can afford and willing to pay. It won't do if you use one which doesn't fit you comfortably while on the river. If it is polarized it doesn't matter which brand it is. Cheap ones will still do the job. Expensive branded and fancy ones will also do the job. It all depends on your wallet. Guys with cheap ones catch just as many fish as others. If you are using expensive ones just take precautions to secure it while on the river. Many have lost theirs to the fast current.

Default Smith and Action Optics!!

Need I say more... Smith an Action Optics!!!

Photochromatic copper and yellow are unbelievable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast