Thread: Elk hunting on Afognak

Default Elk hunting on Afognak

Has anyone hunted Elk on Afognak ? I and my wife drew a partner hunt in October. just looking for some info.

Thanks
    Dirty in Delta
    "Its better to be lucky than good any day"

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
    Has anyone hunted Elk on Afognak ? I and my wife drew a partner hunt in October. just looking for some info.

Thanks
    Dirty in Delta
    "Its better to be lucky than good any day"
    Contact Jim in Delta from here on the forum he has a lot of good knowledge of hunting on Kodiak.....he he he

Default Whatever

BOY you are funny. I think we are going to let the new Chief go hunting with him and Dennis. If something bad happens it will really be belivable. lol

Thumbs down

I hunted Elk out of the laura lake cabin 3 year ago in mid october. My brother and I both came home with no elk I don't know where you drew for but Laura Lake is on the north east side of the island. The only elk we saw was flying in about 50 all together striaght south of Larua Lake. If I was going again I would take a tent camp setup and try to get dropped off on one of the small lakes in your hunt area after doing a fly around, if the charter service will do it. I reccommend Andrew or Seahawk Air for your flight over from Kodiak, both have excellent customer service. Seahawk Air also has a floating cabin rental on the Northside of the island you might want to check that out, I have heard that it is not the best area for elk though right at his cabin.

Default Andrews

I concur, contact Andrews Air. They know where the Elk are, as I saw a beautiful rack come in from a group of hunters, flown in/out by Andrews. We were Deer hunting and came back a few hours earlier than the Elk group.
    Also, if you want a great Moose hunt, they fly to the Penn and know of some excellent spots, but lots of Bears too!

picture of Roland's floating cabin.....hopefully
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Elk Bust-out

We went two years ago. I saw 3 elk, 2deer, and 1 bear in 8 days. The logged areas were impossible to traverse without injuring yourself. My advice, shoot the first elk you see, as you may see no other. Sorry for the pessimism.

Dirtysouth,

My dad and I were successful on Afognak two years ago baggin a 4X4. We hunted in Malina Bay on the North side of the bay. During our hunt we saw a boat take 3 cows as well. If you are looking for a good transport from Kodiak I would suggest Roland at Seahawk Air. He was great.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions

Smile Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jnalaska View Post
    I hunted Elk out of the laura lake cabin 3 year ago in mid october. My brother and I both came home with no elk I don't know where you drew for but Laura Lake is on the north east side of the island. The only elk we saw was flying in about 50 all together striaght south of Larua Lake. If I was going again I would take a tent camp setup and try to get dropped off on one of the small lakes in your hunt area after doing a fly around, if the charter service will do it. I reccommend Andrew or Seahawk Air for your flight over from Kodiak, both have excellent customer service. Seahawk Air also has a floating cabin rental on the Northside of the island you might want to check that out, I have heard that it is not the best area for elk though right at his cabin.
    I / We are going to stay in the Pillar Lake cabin. South of Laura Lake. After talking to John Cry at fish and game he suggested it would be a better spot. We are going with Andrew Airways, I've flown with them before. It will be nice to just get away and shoot a few deer. If we get an Elk that will be "The Gravy on the potatoes." part of the hunt. Lots of hills to climb got to go exercise. Thanks
    John in Delta

Default Pillar Lake

I just hunted out the Pillar Lake cabin this April for bear, and on Laura Lake in 2006 for elk (we tent camped on southeast side of lake nearest the logging roads). Pillar Lake is nestled in about a mile wide valley between two 1500 foot ridge lines. The ridge to the west is harder to ascend but easier to walk once you get to the top (word of warning - we had the benefit of snow which makes it easier to go from point A to B. Below the snow line the alders were horriffic - stay in the trees to work your way up.) If it ain't covered in alders, it will be covered in heavy trees and devil's club. But the game trails offer a path to about everywhere - just realize everything uses the same trail. The ridge to the east is a series of 3 bowls, easier to ascend but more heavily tree'd making spot/stalk harder.

Bring a inflatable boat - the best point to ascend the west ridge is on the opposite side of the lake (NW corner) - you can walk around the lake on the shore line but it is slow going due to the alders and other obstacles. A boat will cut an hour off your trip. It will also save you time if you decide to head up the valley towards Tonki Bay. Lots of blacktails as well in the area.

My two cents - hunt the west ridge, although harder to ascend, once on top it offered more access to more area by walking the ridge and it has more southern exposure. Bring a cow call (I tried bugling but with no results, and I've heard mixed results on its effectiveness, but everyone sweared by the cow call). Trekking poles are your friends. Watch for bears. I've attached pictures of the view from both ridges to give you some perspective, just remember there will be a lot less snow (if any) depending on when you hunt.

Good hunting.
    Last edited by ucohokie; 07-02-2010 at 08:48.

Smile Thanks a ton

Thanks a million. I was debating on bringing a raft or not. We are going the second week in October.
    It's better to be lucky than good any day.

Andrew has inflatable rentals with motor through them at pretty good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    picture of Roland's floating cabin.....hopefully
    Here's a better one: