Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parks Service Handing out tickets on the Upper Kenai

Default Parks Service Handing out tickets on the Upper Kenai

Last Saturday we passed a Parks service boat that had an orange cataraft pulled over just down from the Kenai Lake boat launch. After he finished up with them, he headed straight for us. He asked my buddies boat to pull over. To keep our group together I pulled over too (big mistake I know).

TWO hours later...we left with four tickets. He got my buddy for no registration and carrying a 2-stroke kicker in July. He got me for expired registration and no class IV throwing devise as required for all 16' and greater boats (even though I had two throw bags that were not class IV..how stupid is that?). He tried to get my buddy for not having a class IV devise on his boat but we argued that it was only 15'-6" (aire 156r). Ranger Rick even went so far as whipping out his measuring tape and after two attempts to make it 16', the greatest distance he could get was only 15'-9" so he was cleared of that offense.
    He also warned that we needed to have a qualified noises maker on board. He said that my buddies gun was not a sufficient noise maker but that my cottontail predator call was, so we didnt wet ticketed for that.

Just be prepared, he said they were gonna be there all summer. Its the 1st time in 15 years that I've ever seen the Parks service giving tickets on the Upper Kenai.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerat View Post
    Last Saturday we passed a Parks service boat that had an orange cataraft pulled over just down from the Kenai Lake boat launch. After he finished up with them, he headed straight for us. He asked my buddies boat to pull over. To keep our group together I pulled over too (big mistake I know).

TWO hours later...we left with four tickets. He got my buddy for no registration and carrying a 2-stroke kicker in July. He got me for expired registration and no class IV throwing devise as required for all 16' and greater boats.....
    The Park Service has jurisdiction on navigable waters? Isn't that a Coast Guard thing?

I remember a pissing contest going on between the state and feds over non-local moose hunters in the Koyukuk area. The state biologist at Ella's cabin told us that as long as we shot moose below the high water mark, we were within state jurisdiction.

Sure enough, I shot a 49.5" bull moose below high water mark on the Koyukuk River under a subsistence permit, and a pair of Federal USFWS officers came by and stopped. One of them was TDY from Tennessee (complete with creased pants, leather shoes, and Glock).

He tried real hard to get us to admit that I (with the subsistence permit) wasn't the one who shot the moose.

After a classic attempt to roust us, they left with us laughing at him.......

Where could I information on required equipment? Do I need to register my 12ft raft? I didn't think non-motorized boats needed registration.
    I'll be on the Upper river at the end of July. I want to make sure I have everything I need on the boat.

What is a Class IV throwing device and a non-Class IV throwing device

I've only got one kind of throw bag...

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    What is a Class IV throwing device and a non-Class IV throwing device

I've only got one kind of throw bag...
    The class IV device is the square seat cushion or ring floatation thing, not a rope throw bag. I bought one at freddies last night for $12. Better than the $110 ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by bstacy1974 View Post
    Where could I information on required equipment? Do I need to register my 12ft raft? I didn't think non-motorized boats needed registration.
    I'll be on the Upper river at the end of July. I want to make sure I have everything I need on the boat.
    Ranger Rick told us that you can register any boat, but its only required if it has a motor.

Default or

I think he told me a couple years ago that it need registration if a motor is mounted OR it is over 16'. Im a little hazy on that though. Met him several times on various parts of the Kenai, if its the same guy he's been a pretty fair guy to deal with, IME.

Default DMV Data Registration Requirements

Mind you this is the state and not all information concerning the use of Government lands or Federal requirements may apply. That being said if you are a recreational user on a float trip and your following State Law you are not required to register your inflatable if it does not have power at any length.

Boat Registration

Link to Division of Parks - Boating Safety

General Information:

On January 1st, 2001, the Division of Motor Vehicles assumed the boat registration program from the U.S. Coast Guard. House Bill 108, passed in the 2000 legislative session, authorized this registration program and a comprehensive boating safety program. Prior to January 1st, 2001, the Coast Guard has registered powered boats that are used on navigable waterways of the state. These registrations are valid for three years and a Certificate of Number issued by the USCG will still be valid until the expiration date, unless the boat changes ownership. When the USCG issued registration expires, boat owners must renew the registration with DMV.

Prior to June 4th, 2004, non-powered boats 10 feet or greater in length used on any water of the state were required to be registered. These boats are no longer required to be registered; however, you may register a non-powered boat if you wish to.

The State of Alaska does not title boats.

What Must Be Registered:

All powered boats (including non-powered boats with auxiliary power units) used on any water of the state. (This includes all rivers, streams, and lakes, regardless of size, and all salt water within 3 miles of land.)

Effective February 10th, 2005
    All sport fishing guides are required to register both powered and non-powered boats.

NOTE: "Boat" means a watercraft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, except for:

A ship's lifeboat

A seaplane

An inspected passenger vessel

A single air mattress, single inner tube or other water toy

NOTE: Tenders are boats that are used exclusively for transportation from a boat to shore. Under the previous USCG registration program, tenders did not have to be registered. This changes under the state program. Tenders must be registered unless they are non-powered.

What Cannot Be Registered in Alaska:

Boats that are not principally used in Alaska. (Alaska residents such as military members or college student that live outside of the state cannot register their boats in Alaska. They must register them in the state where they are currently living or using the boat. This is required by federal law and there is no exemption for any group.)

Exempt from Registration in Alaska:

A boat with a valid registration from another state or country that is not operated more than 90 consecutive days in Alaska.

A boat owned by any government agency at the federal, state or local level.

Non-powered boats. (Effective 2/10/05, Sport Fishing Guides will be required to register their non-powered boats.)

A documented boat. The documentation may be either from the U.S. or a foreign country.

Fees:

$24.00 for powered boats

$10.00 for non-powered boats (Registration is no longer required on non-powered boats as of June 4th, 2004. You may register a non-powered boat if you wish to.)

A registration is valid for three years and will expire at the end of the month in which the boat is first registered. The Certificate of Number must be carried aboard the boat whenever it is in operation.

NOTE: If you register your boat as a powered boat and remove the source of power at a later time, you may wait until renewal to change to a non-powered boat class, or you may disregard the renewal notice, as non-powered boats are no longer required to be registered in Alaska. If you register as a non-powered boat and then obtain auxiliary power, you must submit a change with DMV and pay the $24.00 fee for a powered boat. The registration period will start over and there will not be any refund given for any unused portion of the registration.

Items Required to Register a Boat:

Application

Fees

Ownership document. Must be one of the following:

Manufacture Statement of Origin (MSO)
    Carpenter's Certificate
    Bill of sale from previous owner or dealer
    Title or registration from a previous state
    Affidavit of ownership
    The first time a boat is registered in Alaska, or when there is a transfer of ownership, the paperwork must be submitted in person. Renewals, duplicate stickers and duplicate certificate of number can be requested through the mail.

Lost Certificate of Number or Validation Sticker:

Must apply for a duplicate within 15 days

Complete an application if any information has changed

Fees of $5.00

Address Change:

Must notify DMV within 15 days, in writing, by one of the following methods:

Mailed or delivered to any DMV office

E-mail to DMV webmaster

Notice must contain the boat number or HIN, name of the owner, new address.

Transfer of Ownership:

New owner must apply for a Certificate of Number within 30 days of purchase

Registration starts over and full fees must be paid.

NOTE: If a registered owner is adding or deleting an owner's name from the registration record, this is not considered a transfer of ownership. Complete an application and pay fees of $5.00 for the duplicate Certificate of Number. No other fees are required unless the registration is being renewed at the same time. In this case, the $5.00 fee is not required as a new Certificate of Number will be issued when the boat registration is renewed.

Renewal of Registration:

Renewal notices will be mailed approximately 60 days prior to the expiration date. Renewal can be processed:

Over the Internet Registration Renewal. Payment by Visa or MasterCard only

By Mail:
    Division of Motor Vehicles
    ATTN: CORRESPONDENCE
    1300 West Benson Blvd, Ste 200
    Anchorage AK 99503-3600

At any DMV office
    Boat Number Information:

Cannot be transferred to another boat

Assigned by computer. No special request number will be issued

Display of boat number is required for POWERED boats. (Optional for non-powered boats) Painted or permanently attached to each side of the forward half of the boat.

in plain vertical block characters, 3 inches or more in height

contrast with the color of the background and be distinctly visible and legible

have spaces or hyphens that are equal to the width of a letter other than "I" or a number other than "1" between the letter and number groupings.
    (Example: AK-1234-AA or AK 1234 AA)

read from left to right
    NOTE: It is illegal to operate a boat with a number other than the assigned boat number on the forward half of the boat. The boat number must be removed when the boat is documented by the USCG or when the boat is no longer principally used in Alaska.

Validation Sticker Information:

Powered boats: Two stickers issued. Must be affixed within six inches of the Boat Number on boat sides of the forward half of the boat.

Non-powered boats: Single sticker issued. Non-powered boats do not require registration. If you choose to register a non-powered boat, the sticker must be displayed in a location that is visible when the boat is in operation, on the top or side of the forward half of the boat.

Boats Purchased From a Boat Dealer:

State law requires a boat dealer to have the purchaser of a new or used boat sold at retail complete an application and pay the registration fee before the boat leaves the dealer's premises, other than exempt boats. The following are included in addition to regular boat or marine dealers:

Dealers and consignment businesses who act as an agent for the owner

Car dealers that take boats in trade

Warehouse and department stores that sell boats

Hobbyists who build or recondition boats and sell more than three boats in a year

Lienholder Information:

DMV does not record lienholders for boats. Contact the Recorder's Office for information on Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filing procedures.

12/12/06

Default That's what I was told

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerat View Post
    Ranger Rick told us that you can register any boat, but its only required if it has a motor.
    I registered my cat last year so I'd have the option to run a motor...I was told by both the Coast Guard and DMV that only motorized boats/rafts are reuired to have registration. It's the motor, not the length that requires registration. I will have to spread the word to my "barge" friends so they have their snoopy cushions on board

They (parks enforcement) tried (and suceeded) to get my friend on this stating that his boat was 16' and that it needed a registration...even without a motor. When I registered my boat, I found that that was not the case at all and that really ticked my buddy off since he had long since paid his ticket

Question 1 question then

I have a cat that measures 14'6 end of tube to end of tube. I know i dont have to register it and I dont have a moter or a moter mount on it. So I do wear my fishng vests/life vests, they are a combo thing. Am I still required to carry the throw device and a noise maker. Oh since I am under 16 feet am i exempt from both. Thanks for any info guys
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I have a cat that measures 14'6 end of tube to end of tube. I know i dont have to register it and I dont have a moter or a moter mount on it. So I do wear my fishng vests/life vests, they are a combo thing. Am I still required to carry the throw device and a noise maker. Oh since I am under 16 feet am i exempt from both. Thanks for any info guys
    I just went to parks and according to their "Summary"... No http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/boa...oatrequire.pdf

The break for throwable type IV (ring or cushion) is <16 and 16 and over.

On the noise makers, it says for <39.4 feet must be able to make and efficient sound signal (such as that made with a whistle or horn)...

I would argue a safety whistle on a PFD covers that.

I have a whistle and a signal mirror in the pocket of my vest. Easy enough to carry and helps when the other raft has the beverages

Default You need running lights, too

It sounds like the statute is saying that even if you're in an unmotorized kayak or other oar/paddle-driven craft, if you're running between sunset and sunrise or during periods of "restricted visibility" you need to have USCG approved running lights.

Kind of tough if the fog rolls in and is patchy and you're paddling a canoe, cataraft, whatever. Of course, it might be a good idea to just pull over to shore if those are the conditions.

Thumbs down stopped by the feds

June and I were stopped by the feds it will be 2 years ago in October. Cold windy day, About 15 boats on the water. They launched right next to us at the same time. Said morning and all that blah blah stuff. So June and I pull out at Guardrail corner. She is about 100 yards below me. I see the one officer float by. (I knew there was 2) Looking over my shoulders i see the shurbs and brush moving and told him, Come out. I know your there and if that is not a fed it is a bear and Im getting my gun (which I did not have nor did he know that) So Fed 1 in the boat makes a B-line for my wife, Fed 2 approaches me. He starts asking about the gun and where is it and etc etc. I told him. Look I dont have a gun. You guys always travel in pairs and I know you must have been glassing me back there. (remind you Im legal) He kept insisting that I show him the gun. I finally told him I dont have one and either way Im allowed to carry it for protection of life. So he backs down but then I see Fed 1 berating my wife. I haul butt down there. He is reading her the riot act for not having her license on her but instead in her pack sitting on the boat 100 yards away (i know it is supposed to be on your person but come on). So he looks at me and tells me "I want to see both your liscense's right now, your life jackets and what your using to fish". Ok come to my boat. So after checking all the "stuff" They got ready to leave. I said Excuse me sir, After all the raping of these fish in september I never saw a one of you on the river. I have seen guys use and abuse this fish and your never around. So today you come out and pick on the "residents" (which most of us there then were maybe on guide boat). What is the deal. He looks at me with a straight face and tells me, We needed something to do today" God i wanted to rip his head off. Then at the next gravel bar all of a sudden he and his buddy want to talk to me about my boat how it handles etc. I just asked them nicely to leave me alone so I can enjoy the day with my wife. Sometime I wonder, Actually I wonder alot. I have nothing to hide but good god. I know I have and most of you have seen some bizarre stuff going on down there. They are never there then.

That is the exception though. I have met many many nice feds especially at Jims when my day is ending. I have talked fish with them for 20 to 30 minutes and never been harassed. There is always one or two with something to prove. Where are they on a sunny day in july (I have seen this happen) when kids with no float coats are jumping out of the boat or raft and swimming in the river.

</QUOTE>That is the exception though. I have met many many nice feds especially at Jims when my day is ending. I have talked fish with them for 20 to 30 minutes and never been harassed. There is always one or two with something to prove. Where are they on a sunny day in july (I have seen this happen) when kids with no float coats are jumping out of the boat or raft and swimming in the river.[/QUOTE]

They may have tried to talk to about your boat to be nice because they realized that they were not that friendly during the previous conversation. Keep in mind that they are people too and allowed to have bad days once in a while. That does not excuse those that are just plain jerks when contacting the public and there are some of those people in every job.

Steve

Point taken steve and I understand.

Talking

Just got back from Fred Meyer where I also bought a $12.99 Type IV throw rescue device (seat cushion). Seems silly but if it gets me out of $110 ticket....By the way I got the last one at the Fred Meyer in Eagle River so if anyone else is looking for one in Eagle River try Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    It sounds like the statute is saying that even if you're in an unmotorized kayak or other oar/paddle-driven craft, if you're running between sunset and sunrise or during periods of "restricted visibility" you need to have USCG approved running lights.

Kind of tough if the fog rolls in and is patchy and you're paddling a canoe, cataraft, whatever. Of course, it might be a good idea to just pull over to shore if those are the conditions.
    It is worth mentioning that Alaska state boating safety regulations basically mirror USCG regs.

For a nonpowered vessel of that size, "USCG approved running lights" are simply a means of producing a light as a signal. IOW a flashlight

as long as it wasn't running I would have told them I was transporting the 2 sroke! I know a few guys that have purchased 4cycle kickers to use with their 2stoke mains so they can still run down there. As long as you arent using it then what law are you breakin? I would have to fight that!

One thing to watch for too is a fire extinguisher. If you have a motor on your boat, I am pretty sure you need to have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast