Thread: I Think I Am In Trouble!!

Roy, UT. Returning to Glennallen, AK soon.

Unhappy I Think I Am In Trouble!!

I just sat down to get serious about loading a batch of .358 Norma Magnum and as I was seating primers (CCI 200) with a RCBS hand primer tool, many of the primers just slipped right in, very little resistance until the last few hundredths of an inch or so. Well, that started me to be concerned but I went on to charge the first round with 74.0 grains of IMR4350 and then seat a Nosler 225 grain AccuBond. When I removed it from the press to measure overall length I found that the primer was pushed out a little. So I got out the hammer bullet remover and when the done its job I looked at the case and the primer was back in the seated position. These cases were bought at a gun show and loaded and fired once since several years ago. I can't find my load info at this time but it was taken from a manual and was below maximum. The rifle is a rebarreled 1917 Remington Enfield now with over a hundred rounds through and I have never noticed any other signs of overpressure. I am afraid I have a pile of very expensive scrap brass less than two weeks before I return to The Great Land having been invited on a moose hunt this fall. I will check out the once-fired factory round that I fired and see how the primers seat.

Any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by thebovees View Post
    I just sat down to get serious about loading a batch of .358 Norma Magnum and as I was seating primers (CCI 200) with a RCBS hand primer tool, many of the primers just slipped right in, very little resistance until the last few hundredths of an inch or so. Well, that started me to be concerned but I went on to charge the first round with 74.0 grains of IMR4350 and then seat a Nosler 225 grain AccuBond. When I removed it from the press to measure overall length I found that the primer was pushed out a little. So I got out the hammer bullet remover and when the done its job I looked at the case and the primer was back in the seated position. These cases were bought at a gun show and loaded and fired once since several years ago. I can't find my load info at this time but it was taken from a manual and was below maximum. The rifle is a rebarreled 1917 Remington Enfield now with over a hundred rounds through and I have never noticed any other signs of overpressure. I am afraid I have a pile of very expensive scrap brass less than two weeks before I return to The Great Land having been invited on a moose hunt this fall. I will check out the once-fired factory round that I fired and see how the primers seat.

Any ideas??
    Mike the case heads while you're at it. Sure sounds like excessive case head expansion, whatever the source.

I'd say just buy some new 338 win mag brass, neck it up in the fl size die and go out to the range to see how they work. With different brand of brass you should back off a few grains and work up.

It's not worth risking a hunt on questionable brass, especially with a chambering you aren't likely to find any ammo for.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'd say just buy some new 338 win mag brass, neck it up in the fl size die and go out to the range to see how they work. With different brand of brass you should back off a few grains and work up.

It's not worth risking a hunt on questionable brass, especially with a chambering you aren't likely to find any ammo for.

That is what I was just thinking. Get some 338 brass and neck them up.

I would not take a chance with the brass you are using now.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

1st question why would you use CCI 200 primers??? I would use nothing but magnum primers if i was you CCI 250 or switch over to federal 215, federal 215 are a little bigger my freind back home told me about this yrs ago I didn't believe him well I tried it becuase I was having the same problem as you and it worked... I have a 358 n.m and have a ton of brass but that is besides the point hunt down federal 215 and give them shot... So if you decide to stop using that brass shoot me a p.m and I will buy it off of you...

Default questionable brass

I had the same thing happen to me with some 30.06 brass. i got it all nice and shiny clean, trimmed, cleaned again etc. i started putting primers in and noticed they went in very easy.....o well, after i loaded a bunch with powder and seated the bullets i noticed some grains of powder on the bench??? that is when i noticed some of the primers had simply dropped out. needless to say that was the end of that brass. i had spent a lot of time on it only to trash it. bummer.