Thread: Galena air service

Default Galena air service

I used Brownie with Yukon Eagle Air a couple years ago, however, he's in Africa for the next few years with Flying Missions. The only other game in town is Sportsman's Alaska Guide & Air Service but Joe Schuster only does outfitted hunts at the costs of $5,750. I have all my own gear and don't need an outfitted hunt. Are there any other operations out of Galena? Or, would it be better to go out of McGrath or Beetles?
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

McGrath or Bettles? Those 2 are pretty far apart. Where are you wanting to go? Do you have a draw permit? Might help if you provided a little more info.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Moose hunt in GMU 21.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

GMU 21 is fairly large. If you want to hunt 21A then look into flying out of McGrath. 21B you could try Fbks or whatever is available in Galena. Bettles is maybe a little far for most of 21. How come Larry ain't hooking you up?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Galena seems the most logical choice but there's only Schuster and he wants approx. $6K because he only does outfitted hunts. I just need transport.

Hey Marten - What's the going rate, per hour, for a Beaver? It may be cheaper out of Bettles.

Default Last year.....

I paid about 25 cents a pound last year. My wife had a Uncle there so it made our situation easier. We had close to 800 lbs. with the bone in. It was in game bags, wrapped in heavy black plastic contractor bags, duct taped, labeled with name and phone number. Drove it to the airport, put it in the freezer, picked it up in Anchorage. I kept the head and rack with me. It is a good deal in my opinion as it is a long way to Kenai from Galena and if any problems came up I did not have to worry about loosing the meat. I think Anchorage stored the meat for free the first 2 days. Do your home work and try to make sure you have everything lined up ahead of time. Makes for a more fun trip. I look forward to a return trip.

I drew a tag in unit 21c this year and outside of Galena, the only operation that would fly me out was Willow Air and flying out of McGrath. Quoted price was $800/hr. for a beaver load and it was going to be a minimum of 2 hours flying time each way. No one in Bettles would fly that far and everyone I contacted in FB was booked.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I drew a tag in unit 21c this year and outside of Galena, the only operation that would fly me out was Willow Air and flying out of McGrath. Quoted price was $800/hr. for a beaver load and it was going to be a minimum of 2 hours flying time each way. No one in Bettles would fly that far and everyone I contacted in FB was booked.

Did you contact Bettles Air or Brooks Range Aviation? Did you price Magnuson out of McGrath?

Just out of curiosity, why did you wait so long to try and book a charter?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why did you wait so long to try and book a charter?
    It's for September 2009!

Does that qualify me as early?

Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    Did you contact Bettles Air or Brooks Range Aviation? Did you price Magnuson out of McGrath?
    Ya, I contacted both Bettles and Brooks and was told that it was out of their flying range. I didn't contact Magnuson though, never heard of them/him.

My dad owns a hanger and sells fuel to the air carriers in Galena, I can ask him who would do a drop off if you want.

I saw willow air's beaver out there last year dropping people off.

Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    It's for September 2009!

Does that qualify me as early?
    You didn't post a date in your first post, that's why I asked. Good luck finding a charter.

Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post
    My dad owns a hanger and sells fuel to the air carriers in Galena, I can ask him who would do a drop off if you want.

I saw willow air's beaver out there last year dropping people off.
    That would be cool. You can PM if you want.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    You didn't post a date in your first post, that's why I asked. Good luck finding a charter.
    Well, if you back out on Taylor I won't need to worry about a charter for this year. I can just go with him in your place.