Thread: Talachulitna Report

Default Talachulitna Report

Did a float trip from 7/3 - 7/9. Kings were there, however we only caught them at the major confluences. Caught almost all of them on big egg sucking leeches. Fishing on the Tal creek was terrible, this was confirmed by several other rafters. Ran into bears almost every day, mostly brown, never in camp. All in all pretty good trip. From what others said the river was the highest that they've seen and the king run was small.

Thanks,
    Mike

Default Talachulitna Report

Thanks for the report. I'm heading out there mid-August, hoping there is at least a little water in the creek when we get there.

I think you may be good as far as water levels, the water was very high. When I got home I looked at some pics of the river on the internet, all of the pics I saw had WAY lower water levels than when we were there. Hell's Gate didn't look anything like the pics. When we went, the water was higher, ripping through there. But that may have been better as the rocks and logjams weren't as bad as in pics we saw. We never needed to drag the raft, not even on Tal creek. Again, may have been a fluke but we saw a lot more bears than people said we would, no problems though.

Mike

Default River Access

Is this a fly-in fishery only? Any roads or trails going in?

Fly-in only

Default Bears

Mike, what bear precautions were you taking out there with regards to food and cooking so that you saw them every day but never in camp? Continuous around the clock firearms discharge?

I may have bordered on paranoid but this is what I did to avoid odors: Never slept (or brought in my tent) any clothes that I fished in or cooked/ate in. Tried to minimize the amount of fish we grilled, but if we grilled fish, we stopped during day, grilled the fish and then camped down river. Ate mostly dehydrated food (Mountain House). After we ate out of the bag, we washed the bags out, rolled em up and then put in a ziplock bag which was then put in the cooler. Anything else that smelled (toothpaste, bug spray etc..) was put in ziplocs and also stored in the cooler. Basically, anything that smelled was put in the cooler. At the end of the day I put ratchet straps around the cooler, put pots and pans on top and kept it away from the tents. Figured if something tried to get into it I would hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post
    I may have bordered on paranoid but this is what I did to avoid odors: Never slept (or brought in my tent) any clothes that I fished in or cooked/ate in. Tried to minimize the amount of fish we grilled, but if we grilled fish, we stopped during day, grilled the fish and then camped down river. Ate mostly dehydrated food (Mountain House). After we ate out of the bag, we washed the bags out, rolled em up and then put in a ziplock bag which was then put in the cooler. Anything else that smelled (toothpaste, bug spray etc..) was put in ziplocs and also stored in the cooler. Basically, anything that smelled was put in the cooler. At the end of the day I put ratchet straps around the cooler, put pots and pans on top and kept it away from the tents. Figured if something tried to get into it I would hear it.
    Dang Mike - when do get time to fish ? Seriously I lived up on the upper Yetna for 5 years and dealt with bears all the time. Everthing someone can do do to eliminate these encounters is time well spent.