Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draw hunt research

Lightbulb Draw hunt research

When I apply for a draw hunt I usually do a little homework before applying so in case I draw I know what i'm getting myself into. Why do people put in for hunts that they know nothng about? F&G gives us 30 days to get ourt apps so that should be ample time to do your due diligence. Thoughts??

I have the same train of thought as you AkHunter45. Every time draw results are published, I am always amused (and somewhat disheartened) by the number of people who ask basic questions about their tag. I can certainly understand specific questions or digging for current beta on the area, but not knowing hunt boundaries or methods of access is, to me, inexcusable.

I would assume lack of pre-application planning is linked the the low success rates and low "hunt" rates in many of the drawing hunts. I could be wrong, but I expect that F&G expects this. If everyone that drew took the hunt seriously, I would think the success rates would be higher and thus the number of tags awarded would be fewer.

I agree, I study and made phone calls in the past when thinking of applying for a permit I'm not up on.

Good question.
    -The thrill of recieving a permit no matter what the permit was.

-Some people I have talked to say they put in for it cause the % of getting the tag was high and they would worry about the logistics later if they got drawn.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I would assume that many believe they never have a chance at being drawn, they just put in for the heck of it. I did that for a goat tag in the winter draw and low and behold, I got drawn. I do however know the area, I just did don't know the specifics on goat hunting.
    I do agree that ADF&G expects this and hence the number of tags issues.

One thing I would like to know is how many permits were won by anti hunters this year?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Talking A little humor here...

So, that is what I have been doing wrong. If I don't research the hunt area, my chances of being drawn increase exponentially.

Dave

I find it frustrating as well. Really all one needs to do is look at a map. That speaks volumns in one shot. Not to mention the hunt description in the supplement.

Default Look at dc001

This one is a classic example. Granted it is a tough hunt even if you know the area and what your doing, but I wonder how many of the 2-3 thousand applicants know how far they will actually have to hike to even see a caribou. I spend a lot of time in this area, and know exactly where I was going to go if I drew a tag, but of course I have never drawn anything. My boss on the other hand put in this year for the first time and drew! He is older, and I would be supprised if he even tries to go. Anywho like someone else stated F&G would not give out as many tags if everyone who drew was serious about the hunt.

Default how about this one

I must of put in the wrong hunt numbers. Dont know how it happened but my wife drew dm796 and I know nothing about it. We are going to try to find out as much about it now that we can.

oops!

josh

Default what's the difference?...

What's the difference if a guy posts a question before or after getting drawn?...The guy is doing 'research' when he posts here...

I'm sure most folks aren't going to try to learn all about the different areas when the chance of getting a tag is slim...once you get a tag then get as much info as possible to go have a successful hunt...

you don't need a summer full of research to learn an area...besides, when asking questions most try to be humble, it is hard to learn anything if you think you know it all, I'm sure most know more than they let on as to not seem like they know it all...

it is not all about seriousness either...some guys just want an excuse to go explore/learn a new area....I wish I knew more about some of the areas being asked about, I'd be posting in those threads instead of here...lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I'm a research hound myself. I do all my research in the winter months. Most places I won't even get to for a few years or maybe never. To me the main point of investigating a certain area is some of the "ALASKAN HISTORY" you can dig up on a place. Most people go hunting in a area without ever knowing what went on a few hundred year earlier. I have a nice file on all this stuff and yes you can bet when I see info "here" I print it off and add it.

I have a pretty good idea of whats going on in the areas I put in for.

I find that if you read a lot of those questions on here, most don't know the first thing about the area that they won the permit for, that's why I brought this topic up. Personally, I do not put in for a permit if I don't think I can do the hunt. This might be a bad example but i'll use it anway. I do not put in for bison hunts because I also put in for moose, if I draw a moose tag and get real lucky and draw a bison tag as well then I have to pick 1 of those 2 hunts, of course the bison hunt would win which means I would waste the moose tag. I just won't take the chance.

I guess it depends on the question being asked. I drew Caribou DC590. I knew that there would most likely be airplane access. After I drew the tag, I started asking for air charters into the area, and lo and behold, I find out there is one/possibly 2 trails into the area. Of course I'm going to ask questions. When you are putting in for a hunt, i think its a good idea to have half a clue as to how you are gonna get access to the area in question. I'll do about 50 % of my research on an area before I put in for the tag. If and when I win a tag, that is when I finish up my research and go. Whether by air, by foot, or ATV, I'm still planning on getting into that area. I drew the tag, I'm going to use it.

Default Montana Boy

PM me and I will fill you in on 796.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    To me the main point of investigating a certain area is some of the "ALASKAN HISTORY" you can dig up on a place.
    of all the things a guy could learn about an area, that is by far the most interesting...I can't get enough of that stuff...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Purpose of this forum

This is a direct quote from the title of this forum...

"This forum is for asking questions or sharing information about hunting in Alaska"

When you put in for the hunt, you know the species and the location....everything after that is just details.

If I had drawn a specific hunt in the past I would be more than happy to share information...maybe not a specific place, but logistics, outfitters, transporters...etc.

Keep the questions comming, hopefully the people blessed with living here, or who were stationed here for mutiple years will help the younger hunters out.
    Last edited by AlaskainfNCO; 07-14-2008 at 12:31. Reason: spelling

i truely dont know all areas and all access but i think alot of us have the tools to get where we gotta go ie wheelers boats planes and foot power. having the tools to get there, all i need is pointed in the right direction and id get there. the thrill of the kill is truely awesome but the adventure of the great outdoors is priceless. i think id be more worried about the people who have no clue what they are doing what so ever and have no business even applying for a draw. but hey how you gonna learn if you dont do? to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    the thrill of the kill is truely awesome but the adventure of the great outdoors is priceless.
    so true. but if they asked what kind of gun to buy, id be nervous

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    One thing I would like to know is how many permits were won by anti hunters this year?
    I sure hope they won all the other sheep tags for my drainage

Smile We actually got a TAG.

I got a partner hunt with the wife for ELK on Afognak. "Lucky I guess." We always put in for everything and seldom ever get drawn. YES we are going. We live in Delta and do eat meat.
    I am just waiting on the year we put in for everything and actually get drawn for them all, that would be expensive. I just love how "hunters" that are not even from the US/Alaska get alot of Tags.

If you don't know what -40' feels like you shouldn't be able to hunt. That will piss off a few.

"It's better to be lucky than good any day."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast