Thread: Loading the 8X57 Mauser...

Default Loading the 8X57 Mauser...

I had a nice old Husqvarna made 8X57 on an FN Mauser action. I found a hummer of a load (as much as an iron sighted relic like this can hummm) with a Norma 196 grain Alaska bullet. I guess Norma calls the bullet Alaska because it's just for here, huh? Anyway the is bullet is a tapered round nose and has a good portion of the nose as exposed lead. It is made of soft lead with a tapered gilding metal jacket. It is designed to expand at low to moderate velocity. It is designed for the 8X57 Mauser. I obtained just short of 2400 fps from this bullet out of the 23.6 inch barrel of the Mauser with a load of 45 grains of RL-15 in Winchester brass and Federal 210M primers.

It was fun to shoot and all worked well in the old rifle. It worked so well I gave it away, the rifle and the box of ammo. My hope is that it will put moose on the table this fall. It sure put a smile on a kids face to get it.

What do you think of this rifle/bullet combination for moose? I've hunted a little with the 8X57 and it seems to be the equal of the ought six when hunting in close and this should be an in close, stalking rifle. Good for moose in the Tanana flats, don't ya think?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I had a nice old Husqvarna made 8X57 on an FN Mauser action. I found a hummer of a load (as much as an iron sighted relic like this can hummm) with a Norma 196 grain Alaska bullet. I guess Norma calls the bullet Alaska because it's just for here, huh? Anyway the is bullet is a tapered round nose and has a good portion of the nose as exposed lead. It is made of soft lead with a tapered gilding metal jacket. It is designed to expand at low to moderate velocity. It is designed for the 8X57 Mauser. I obtained just short of 2400 fps from this bullet out of the 23.6 inch barrel of the Mauser with a load of 45 grains of RL-15 in Winchester brass and Federal 210M primers.

It was fun to shoot and all worked well in the old rifle. It worked so well I gave it away, the rifle and the box of ammo. My hope is that it will put moose on the table this fall. It sure put a smile on a kids face to get it.

What do you think of this rifle/bullet combination for moose? I've hunted a little with the 8X57 and it seems to be the equal of the ought six when hunting in close and this should be an in close, stalking rifle. Good for moose in the Tanana flats, don't ya think?
    I haven' t popped any moose with the load, but I provide a friend with 7x57 rounds topped with the Hornady 175 RN at near max (Ruger max, not 45k psi "book" max). He's managed something approaching 10 one-shot kills with it, so if there's room for comparison I'd have complete confidence in yours. It sounds even more capable.

You cannot beat a moderate velocity and a heavy projectile for excellent penetration.

I am a little biased towards the 8x57 having a couple of them.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

If he puts the bullet where it belongs, What is beyond dead? Deader? I feel you did better than ever with this gift. I don't know how you could have possibly done better by this youngster. Unless you had promised to pack the moose out for him also.

I hope that the warm fuzzy you feel now, last a long time.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

would you recommend this load for the m46 8x57 Husqvarnas. the ones based on the 1896 mauser?

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    would you recommend this load for the m46 8x57 Husqvarnas. the ones based on the 1896 mauser?
    I think so the 46 is the civilian version of the M94/96/38 action but manufactured post WWII and is newer than the mil spec rifles. All Huskys were well made and had correct heat treatment. The ring is smaller and considered not as strong as a 98 but we don't really know the 96 to be weak, just speculation. All the same the load is about 40-45,000 psi, well suited for older guns.

The max for the load is listed as 47 grains with that bullet and powder and similar bullet weights. I've loaded 50.0 grains in a 8x57 Remington 700 classic. Just start at about 42 or 43 grains and see how it behaves.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I used a 195 Hornady interlock at about the same 2400 in a 24/47. At that velocity the bullets performed perfectly. I would think that the Alaskan is a little tougher than the Hornady and would be a perfect choice. I never shot at anything past 100yds (more like 80)with that load so I couldn't attest to it's performance beyond that, but i would think it good to 250.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    I have a model 1893 (Turk) mauser made between 1894 and 1896 that was modified to fire 8mm in 1933 (originally it was in 7mm mauser). The 1893 is probably weaker than the 1896 in question, and has had no problems (nor have the many others that are still around). So I'd venture a guess that the 1896 will be quite safe. It's the Spanish Mausers that one has to be weary of.