Thread: Cast bullets/Liquid Alox?

Default Cast bullets/Liquid Alox?

I got talked into trying this LEE Liquid Alox. I have not had the nerve yet to give it a whirl. I bought a case of the stuff, I'm getting tired of looking at it. Has anyone tried this stuff and had any results they would care to post? Good, bad or indifferent?

Don't feel shy now folks, jump right on in.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I don’t have any of the Lee “Tumble Lube” bullet moulds so I have not bothered to try the Liquid Alox lube. I have read many accounts from other bullet casters that claim excellent results when used with the tumble lube bullets so long as velocity is held to around 900 fps. Accounts from those folks who have tried it with regular cast bullets with deeper lube grooves has been less than enthusiastic. I would have to assume that the multiple shallow lube grooves in the tumble lube bullets is the key here. I don’t believe that the liquid Alox has the ability to “build up” sufficiently to fill a standard lube groove. I get the impression that it is more like a thin wax coating when dried.

Do post on your experience if you would. I am interested to hear how it performs for you as there is a guy on another forum that sell his own proprietary bullet moulds (Ranch Dog) custom cut by Lee with their tumble lube grooves. He has a lot of heavy for caliber mould designs and I may purchase a few it the liquid Alox seems to work good.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

One of the most accurate loads I ever shot out of my 480 was a 310 gr lfn that I simply tumble lubed, loaded as cast (not sized) and put 3 into a 1 1/2" group at 100 yds.

The stuff definately works, and for mild to mid range loads they seem to do be the ticket. Can't say they wouldn't work for full house loads, I simply haven't tried them.

Thank folks. I was hoping that Ranger Rick would throw down also.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Thank folks. I was hoping that Ranger Rick would throw down also.

I was called out and can not back down !!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Alangaq said Lee Alox is best with bullets designed for tumble lube .
    I used bullets coated with Lee Alox and just did not care for the bullets being tacky .
    It seems that I was always picking dirt ,fuzz ETC off the bullets when reloading although that would of had no effect on the bullet ,my 44 shot them well , just didn't care for the mess.

I also had a couple cases of the Lee Alox but I used it all when I was making Felix lube a few years ago, now that is great stuff !!!!!

There is a mess load of guys that use it on their bullts and use nothing else so it must be good !!!!!!!!

Guess I was not much help Big Al, sorry.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Smile Liquid Alox

I have used it for several years with my Lee tumble lube bullets. The barrel started to show signs of leading at around 1200 fps out of my 44 mag. My 357 eats them up like it candy. The bore on my super red hawk is pritty smooth. If you have use at least wheel weights and keep the speed down under 1000 fps you should have no problems. I have sent at least a 5 gallon buckets worth of wheel weights throught my super red hawk with just casting, sizing then tumble lubing. if you keep them to moderate speeds they work great.
    Train today to succeed tomarrow

US Army Miltary Police

Watch your speed ( Chronographs work great! )

Sounds like it would work out for .45 ACP bullets, and .38 wadcutters.

Felix lube? Did you make-up sticks and add this Alox to the formula?

I use a turbo Star from MAGMA And would not mind making up a bunch of sticks to get rid of this case of Alox. Tell me more RICK.

Wheel weights is not a problem as I have a couple of thousand pounds of melted and cleaned ingots, I have used it with lino to sweeten my mag bullets mix.

Thanks for the input, all of you fine fellows.

Big Al

Here ya go

Felix Lube formula

2 Tablespoons mineral oil
    1 Tablespoon Castor oil
    1 Tablespoon Ivory, or homemade soap (grated)
    1 Tablespoon Lanolin
    Beeswax - Piece approximately 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" X 1 "

Heat mineral (baby) oil until it starts to smoke.

Add Castor oil, and stir continuously for 1/2 hour.

Sliver the soap, and stir into the mixture a little at a time, until melted.

Add the beeswax before the lanolin, and then when that is melted, reduce or remove the heat and add the lanolin, thus not running any risk of burning or scorching the lanolin.

1 teaspoon of carnuba wax can be added to give a shiny bore. This can be found on the seal of Makers Mark whiskey, or the red wax on cheese from the supermarket.

Once made, let cool and or pour into a lube stick mold . This can be remelted in a microwave, and poured into the lubrisizer that is the method I use..

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    Big Al

Here ya go

Felix Lube formula

2 Tablespoons mineral oil
    1 Tablespoon Castor oil
    1 Tablespoon Ivory, or homemade soap (grated)
    1 Tablespoon Lanolin
    Beeswax - Piece approximately 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" X 1 "

Heat mineral (baby) oil until it starts to smoke.

Add Castor oil, and stir continuously for 1/2 hour.

Sliver the soap, and stir into the mixture a little at a time, until melted.

Add the beeswax before the lanolin, and then when that is melted, reduce or remove the heat and add the lanolin, thus not running any risk of burning or scorching the lanolin.

1 teaspoon of carnuba wax can be added to give a shiny bore. This can be found on the seal of Makers Mark whiskey, or the red wax on cheese from the supermarket.

Once made, let cool and or pour into a lube stick mold . This can be remelted in a microwave, and poured into the lubrisizer that is the method I use..

RR
    So as the last step you pour the Alox down the drain? Come on RICK give out what you do to get rid of this Alox?

Big Al

Boy that will keep you guessing for sure ??????
    I did leave out the Lee .
    I pulled the ingredients off of my saved lube pages and I pulled the wrong one.
    It is still Felix lube just with a twist and that is the Lee Alox .
    It worked quite well for me and you ask WHY did I quit using it ????
    The answer is I can buy another lube cheaper that works as well plus it was cheaper than what I could produce it myself plus my time is tight and my reloading room looks like a lab with all the stuff on the shelfs ....

I added the Lee Alox after I put in the carnuba wax ,two table spoons full .
    When I made it up quadrupole everything to have a bigger batch .

Enjoy

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

I've made up a simple lube that has worked will for handgun cast bullets. It is soft and a bit messy. Heat up beeswax and add an equal part of moly/lithium axle grease, let cool. I had a source of beeswax so cost was minimal. It works just as well as LBT blue or Paco's appache blue.

For many years the Lyman standard for cast bullet lube was 1/2 ALox and 1/2 beeswax. I added a bit of parafin to it so it was not so sticky and it worked great just a tad more smoke. Never a problem with leading but that is with bullets lubed in a sizer.

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    Big Al

Boy that will keep you guessing for sure ??????
    I did leave out the Lee .
    I pulled the ingredients off of my saved lube pages and I pulled the wrong one.
    It is still Felix lube just with a twist and that is the Lee Alox .
    It worked quite well for me and you ask WHY did I quit using it ????
    The answer is I can buy another lube cheaper that works as well plus it was cheaper than what I could produce it myself plus my time is tight and my reloading room looks like a lab with all the stuff on the shelfs ....

I added the Lee Alox after I put in the carnuba wax ,two table spoons full .
    When I made it up quadrupole everything to have a bigger batch .

Enjoy

RR
    Rick, I have got to do something with these thousands of pounds of bullet metal in the shop, (THE BOSS) has been on my *****. Are you using that Rooster stuff? Didn't you use to sell some lube? I've got that heated base with air pressure STAR from MAGMA, what do you suggest for lube?

Al

You know if that lead is in the way and your Boss is on your tail you can give it to me and I will dispose of it for you ,it will be an inconvenience for me but I will do it .....

As for the lube I use Glens lube www.lsstuff.com for almost everything , great stuff and at a very reasonable price to boot..

If that star gives you a fit I will reluctantly will take it off your hands also , what are friends for .......

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

I've had proof, the rumors are true. No more generous man ever walked than RANGER RICK. What a generous heart, RICK. I think two loads in my 3/4 ton truck would do it, of course you do want me to deliver it to you in Homer? As to the Turbo STAR do you want the air compressor with it?

I won't need my MAGMA pot and the dozen or so molds. I'll just toss that stuff on top of the load. That should be enough to keep you busy for a part of the winter anyway.

I for one do not like to think of "Idelle youth". This would be more in line of a third job for you. (After all, who needs to sleep when you are young and carefree?)

Default LLA lube

As far as the Lee Liq Alox? Works OK for low velocity, low pressure cast loads when the bullet design, alloy and fit are just right. For most high power type application seems to work better if stiffened a little with beeswax. Maybe 50-50 mix. Or heat, mix and experiment with small quantities to get the flavor just right. Other additives could include: lanolin, castor oil, carnauba wax, etc.

Ol' Bullshop (Dangerous Dan) in Delta would have some ideas on what to do with it as well as some ideas about the lube he uses/sells.
    http://bullshop.gunloads.com/

One of the best lubes I've used for broad-based cast application in both rifle and handgun is White Label Red Carnauba. Ranger R. would know about that stuff.
    http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/contactus.html

Thank you most kindly George. I need to get off my ***** and get an order in. I looked at that page long ago and forgot about it until the other day when RR posted the link. It would be great to have just one lube that does it all. I think the hope of that is like one gun that does it all.