Thread: Friggin Moose!

Default Friggin Moose!

After completing our garden and things began to sprout up, we had a four legged visitor take the liberty of helping himself to the fruits of our labor. we ran him off once but he returned. After a couple of days of this, the pellet gun came into play and only pissed him off. does anyone have suggestions on keeping moose out of the garden. He pretty much destroyed all that we had done with the exception of the greenhouse stuff so this year is a flop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Gunup1

Default fencing

a fence made out of 2x2 works great. a 3 or 4 ft fence is all you need for raised beds or garden boxes. the trick is to have the fence leaning in over your garden. or just bould a standard 6 foot fence?

A fence is just about your only real option. I've seen people hang soap and dryer lint sheets and the moose still ate their garden.

stuckupnorth, don't they just lean on the thing 'til it breaks down then eat your peas anyway?

I built an electric fence and have not been sorry. I was told the secret to that was to have ground and hot wires alternating to about 6' tall, starting at ground level, about 8" apart. This ensures that if they stick their nose through they will get the hot wire on top, and the ground wire on the bottom of their jaw (or vice-versa) and get a good shock. Otherwise it may not get a good ground through their hooves.

I hear if you try to skimp on wire and get them too far apart, the moose may get his head in to where the wire is behind the ears before he gets a shock. At that point they go forward instead of backwards, with predictable results. HH

I have never seen them push through a fence, but I suppose it might happen on occasion.

I've seen them go over a 4 foot fence.

the one thing June and I noticed when we had momma and baby running amok in our stuff this year was this. Where ever we had mint planted they totally avoided. Her rock garden has mint around it with lots of other tasty stuff in the middle. Nope, nada, nill did not touch it. The did not touch any of her herb baskets either. So next year we are gonna spray out stuff with all the mint we have and see if that does not work. Then again there is always hunting season. They did not get much of my garden as the plants were still small, But all the baskets, apple tree, and other good green stuff they snarfed on.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Try a motion sensing water sprayer augment this with pepper spray if none of this seems to work then eat the moose while appreciating the irony of it!

Thumbs up Oh Yea

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    Try a motion sensing water sprayer augment this with pepper spray if none of this seems to work then eat the moose while appreciating the irony of it!

TOUCHE

Default water ballons

i hear the moose enjoy a good ole water ballon fight. but that may be considered harrassing wild life.

From 8 to 12 foot high fence stops them every time. foot high of chain link and 6 foot of chicken wire above cuts out all fun in the garden.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

One word, and they have been a life saver for us. CD's!

Hang them from each corner, from your trees, posts whatever you can find to hang them on. Moose hate it when they spin and the light catches the CD as is spins around.....We hang them with fishing line so they swing freely....

I know it sounds nuts, but it works!

Default I have seen that

I forgot about that too. I heard it works from several people so im gonna have to give it a shot too

Default moose repellant

I have had great success with sprinkling blood meal around the perimeter of
    of my garden. You just have to remember to do it first thing in the spring
    when your perennials start coming up. It won't damage your plants and the
    moose hate the smell. I live on a green belt where the moose trail is and
    they never bother my plants as long as I remember to put it down!

Alaska Mill Feed sells wolf urine and little bottles to hang in the garden or on trees the critters like. A few drops keeps the moose away. Less expensive and much better looking than a fence. It keeps rabbits away, too. I have friends that use plantskydd and have the same reports as with wolf urine. I've never used plantskydd so I can't say for sure. Google it!