Thread: Looking for opinions on Pentax Gameseeker Scopes

Default Looking for opinions on Pentax Gameseeker Scopes

Hello all,
    I drew a caribou hunt and am looking to replace a very old leupold 6x scope that I have on my Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. Eventually I hope to have a ton of money to buy one of the spendy ones, but for right now I am looking for a less expensive option that will work for this hunt.
    Does anybody have any experience on the Pentax Gameseeker Scopes. I am specifically looking at the 4x-16x by 50mm.

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+89717

I know it's not the greatest but I was hoping to see if anybody had any opinions.

Thanks for your time.

AKF

Default PM sent...

Just noticed that you are looking for alot more magnification. I really don't think it's needed. I'd stick with a 3x9x40 and some good WARNE rings and bases (there not that much). And call it a day. I like the Bushnell 3200's take a look at those. The Rain Gaurd is a nice feature.

Jake

Is there anything wrong with the old 6 power? If not, then I would hunt with it. I do understand the want for a new scope though. With that in mind, have you looked at the newer Nikon Monarchs? Very nice scopes, especially if weight isn't an option.

All of the posts mentions scopes, I have read good things about by hunters here in Alaska. The Nikon, ad the Bushnell. With today's warranties, I don't think I would hesitate to buy either one.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Contact for Pentax

Snyd, one of the hunting forum moderators, uses Pentax optics and raves about them. I believe he also follows a birdwatcher forum for optics info.
    You could send him a PM maybe, see if he's familiar with the model you're interested in.

For what it's worth, in Hunting magazine (Aug'08) article (Glassing Up Deer), I noticed the optics featured in a photo were Pentax.

Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks for the replies. You mentioned that 4x-16x is too much magnification. Forgive my ignorance, but is there such a thing. Is it a problem of being too big and heavy of a scope? Or is that much just plain not needed. I don't really plan on taking any long shots (250+) because I'm not that good of a shooter, but I really want to put the bullet in the right spot.

If I sound like a new hunter, it's because I am, so feel free to treat me like one.

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    Thanks for the replies. You mentioned that 4x-16x is too much magnification. Forgive my ignorance, but is there such a thing. Is it a problem of being too big and heavy of a scope? Or is that much just plain not needed. I don't really plan on taking any long shots (250+) because I'm not that good of a shooter, but I really want to put the bullet in the right spot.

If I sound like a new hunter, it's because I am, so feel free to treat me like one.
    Here is a very good detailed description on rifle scope selection and what it all means to the shooter. I hope it helps…..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/inthefield/fieldguides/guidebooks-story-1.jsp?hierarchyId=83&contentId=riflescope_711020_a ll&title=Riflescope+Buyer%27s+Guide+and+Glossary&o iPage=fieldguides

Thanks, that's a good article and also leads to some other good ones. I went ahead and bought one of the pentax gameseeker 4x-12x by 40 and it is pretty darn nice. I am pretty impressed with what I got for 129$.... One day maybe I can step it up a bit, but this definately keeps me happy till then.

Thanks for the advice guys. I agree with all of you, but finding something for less than 150, this is the way to go I think.

When you can afford to Step up, Buy a schmidt and bender... Trust me on this one.

When you can afford to step up buy a Zeiss...trust me on that one

I wouldnt own a pentax if someone gave it to me.

1. Look through a Ziess, then look through a S&B, the Ziess will remind you of your Pentax.

You guys are cracking me up. And as far as not owning a pentax if someone gave it to you, some of us are bound by lack of financing and would be very happy if people just started giving us things....

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    1. Look through a Ziess, then look through a S&B, the Ziess will remind you of your Pentax.
    I have. It doesnt.

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    You guys are cracking me up. And as far as not owning a pentax if someone gave it to you, some of us are bound by lack of financing and would be very happy if people just started giving us things....

Lack of financing? leupold then

I had a Pentax Gameseeker on my old 30-30 but only shot it a couple times. I just put it on my Tikka T3 30-06 and shot it at the range recently. It is a 3-9x40 and seemed fine. Is it a Zeiss? Nope. But I didn't have to sell my kids to get it either. It is nitrogen filled and should be fog/water proof. I'll learn to put the bullet where it needs to be and learn the limits of my shooting hours with regards to my equipment, and then I'll just go out and have fun. For the money I paid on it awhile ago, it seems like a decent piece of glass to look through.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I didn't have to sell my kid for a S&B...Just realized that I wanted the Best and put aside 150 a month for a year. Also, I am only 25 and plan to have this scope for the rest of my life

Wow, looks like we've definitely got some optics snobs up in here! Bottom line, if it works for you and you're putting game horizontal with it, who cares...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Wow, looks like we've definitely got some optics snobs up in here! Bottom line, if it works for you and you're putting game horizontal with it, who cares...
    Advice was asked. In some folks opinions, the best value for your money is the best you can buy

And I no doubt agree. I cant hardly glass through anything but swaro-but again, thats my choice. Buy what you can, but if whatcha got works, then I say save some dough...Just my two cents...