Thread: adn dipnetting article

Default adn dipnetting article

Did i read it right that it was gonna cost $60 per 24hrs. to park and camp? I understand the concern for the dunes but d*m you think you could eez off on the cost a little. I don't think i've ever camped in a tent anywhere where cost $60 a night to park and camp

KENAI RIVER DIPNETTING CHANGES
    Fees have gone up. You'll pay $15 for 12-hour parking, and $15 for a 12-hour camping period on both beaches. The combined boat launch and parking fee at the city dock is now $15. Parking for additional vehicles at the city dock is $10.

Actually, it would be $45. They'll charge $15 for each 12-hour parking session, but the camping fee is for overnight use, so it is $15 per night. Regardless, it is still 150% higher than previous years. Quite a tax increase to pay for "city services", yes?

What ticks me off the most, is that during dipnet season, I can't take my dog for a walk on the beach from our normal north beach access location. Heck if I'll pay $15 to park for an hour's walk, so I have to find other places to go.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

The city has seized the oppertunity to make $$$$... This has turned me off in a big way.. A few bucks no problem, but a big hike like that I do have a problem. What are we getting for this big hike?????
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

With that kind of money maybe they could put out and maintain some outhouses too.

Just wait, the Warren Ames bridge access will be next. Right now it is an "honor system" envelope drop and I have no idea how much they are asking to park in that little pulloff. But there are an increasing number of people using that access to walk out across the "delicate vegetation" on the flats to find a bank spot in the river. It kind of resembles Russian River, but it's elbow to elbow with dipnets instead of rods. And it is within the Kenai city limits, so expect a toll booth and "no walking on the environmentally sensitive muskeg" regulations soon.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Which is why I gave up on the Kenai and have gone to Kasilof for the last few years.

No fees, no zoo of people bumping into you while you fish, no cops bugging you every 6 hours....

The fish are smaller, but I am willing to trade smaller fish for some elbow room.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    .....What are we getting for this big hike?????
    Screwed........

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    With that kind of money maybe they could put out and maintain some outhouses too.
    Don't bet on it. That would ruin their later excuses regarding "environmental degradation".

I went over the costs with a trooper a few years ago he told me it cost the city $30,000 to maintain the crappers on the south side for a week, I told him it sounds like the city is getting screwed so in turn they screw us by raising the rates. Whats funny is I don't even use those nasty things everytime i've been there they are over flowing the dang seat!!!

Default 30,000 for a week? I doubt it very much

I am in construction and it costs 60 dollars a month to rent a sh-----er. Either the city is getting screwed or someone is screwing all dipnetters. It would be cheaper to rent a rollagon to empty the crappers but 30,000$ I don't think so. P.S. A trooper is a state worker not a city worker so how would he know what the costs are? Sounds like misinformation, pure and simple. Looks like I need to be at a Kenai city council meeting to see actual invoices and actual expenses. SCADA at work. For those of you in the dark, SCADA stands for the southcentral alaska dipnetters association. Forward and carry on, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    SCADA at work. For those of you in the dark, SCADA stands for the southcentral alaska dipnetters association
    Actually, it stands for Systems Control And Data Acquisition... but I guess we are in different industries

As for north beach access, there used to be a trail down to the upstream side of the dipnet area that you could get to from the back city streets of Kenai. I used it several years ago when another local showed it to me. They've probably blocked it off or something, but might be worth checking out. There must be other ways down to the beach without going through the city toll booth. Heck, why not designate a driver who drops your dipp'n crew off on the road just outside the toll booth and then leaves. When you're ready to go, call them on the cell and have them pick you up. They're charging for parking, not pedestrians. If you're going down to camp, just camp elsewhere and shuttle down. With that, they opened a new beach access road in North Kenai, so you could go down on the beach from there and set up camp (this would work on the south beach also), then ride your wheelers the couple miles of beach to the river.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!