Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: rhino guestion???

  1. #1

    Default rhino guestion???

    I have a 2007 Rhino 660. I bought this because I have property in the Talkeetna mts I have gotten to in the past by 4 wheeler or snowmobile, and I thought the Rhino would be more family friendly ride in. I have not made it to the cabin with the Rhino due to it,s weight crossing the high country swamps. I am not sure if I should put more money into the Rhino or sale it. I already put in a clutch kit but it made little or no differance. More torque would help, but the clutch kit was a waist of money. Any suggestions?
    Jim

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    What do you have on it for tires? You could also put a lift kit on it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  3. #3

    Default

    That's a tough call. I don't own one but I have ridden around the area with two individuals that do. One thinks its grand and the other doesn't. We attempted to go out this spring for a little ride. Both of them got stuck real good, where I had no problem whatsoever on a Honda four wheeler. I think the additional weight is problematic and since I never know what the conditions are really going to be, going or getting back, I will stick with what I know works.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim k View Post
    I have a 2007 Rhino 660. I bought this because I have property in the Talkeetna mts I have gotten to in the past by 4 wheeler or snowmobile, and I thought the Rhino would be more family friendly ride in. I have not made it to the cabin with the Rhino due to it,s weight crossing the high country swamps. I am not sure if I should put more money into the Rhino or sale it. I already put in a clutch kit but it made little or no differance. More torque would help, but the clutch kit was a waist of money. Any suggestions?
    Jim
    Give us a little more info. Talkeetna mtns-high country swamps? Can you be a little more specific to the area without giving away info you don't want posted?
    I don't have a Rhino but have a 660 Grizz. I do have a clutch kit as well as good tires and the engine has been Piped and jetted. I don't lack for torque. Your rhino is much heavier than my Grizz. My Grizz gets stuck and I know no matter how I modded it I would get stuck in blackmuck swamps sometimes. You probably made it to your cabin on a much lighter atv right? In those swamps if you jump off a light atv and work the throttle most times it will walk out of the mess. a lift kit and engine work on the rhino will help, but only marginally.
    You are right and your best option instead of sinking a bunch more money into the rhino may be to buy a argo with tracks.

  5. #5
    Member Unalakleet yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Unalakleet
    Posts
    135

    Default

    My wife bought the same unit and I think the problem is with the weight of the Rhino. We had some of the same issues this spring. I plan on putting in a lift kit and more aggressive tires to help to some degree but still feel in soft ground it will bog down and get stuck. I have also purchased extra synthetic winch rope and other stuff to help me get it unstuck. We are also more careful as to where we take it now after this spring.

    As much as I like the Rhino, in your case it may not be the best answer to get where you want to go.

    The other option would be to put a track kit on the Rhino. I've seen them take atv's places they wouldn't have gone without the kit.
    Last edited by Unalakleet yooper; 07-14-2008 at 10:11. Reason: added note

  6. #6

    Default track kit

    Do you have any hands on experience with the track kit. I am told that for a good set they are around $5000.00. I was thinking of buying just a set for the rear.
    Jim

  7. #7
    Member Unalakleet yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Unalakleet
    Posts
    135

    Default

    I personally do not, but have freinds who have installed them on atv's and they work great and will take an atv over all kinds of stuff.

    I think if I were to do it, I would put tracks on all the way around to keep the front end up.

  8. #8
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default Only 2 options

    If you want to make life easier there are really only 2 options that are sensible to me. Either get a track kit for your rhino, or even better, get an Argo with tracks. You can mod your rhino all you want but you will likely just keep tearing up the trail more and more and make it more difficult with each trip in most cases. The tracks on the rhino or an argo will get you back there everytime. If you elect the argo and if you ride sensibly you will do little if any damage to the trail. I was in the same boat this winter. I have a cabin in Talkeetna and needed a way to take my family in during breakup and into the early summer when the mud holes get pretty bad. I found a good deal on a used argo and that has been the best purchase I have made up here. I still have my wheelers and really enjoy riding them in their conditions, but the argo just plain goes! I saw you were inquiring about mooseseakers argo. That would be a great setup as long as its in good shape mechanically. If you end up going that route let me know. I have learned a ton with mine and can give you a few tips to make life a lot easier!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  9. #9

    Default

    mudbuster cam, made a big diff. in my nottom to mid range power. cost? about 200 for the parts plus install.

  10. #10

    Default

    Maybe I missed this but, like Snyd, I'm interested in what tires you have on your rhino. If you have stock tires, well then, that may be you problem. A more aggressive tire will take you father. I've followed Rhino's through the muck and owned one for almost a year. These machines with aggressive tire are impressive in the mud.

    You could install a lift, tracks, blah blah blah, but it's going to put extra stress on the machine and probably won't be as reliable. I'd throw some 26" meats on that machine and see how it responds.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Maybe I missed this but, like Snyd, I'm interested in what tires you have on your rhino. If you have stock tires, well then, that may be you problem. A more aggressive tire will take you father. I've followed Rhino's through the muck and owned one for almost a year. These machines with aggressive tire are impressive in the mud.

    You could install a lift, tracks, blah blah blah, but it's going to put extra stress on the machine and probably won't be as reliable. I'd throw some 26" meats on that machine and see how it responds.
    I can't imagine that anyone would put a clutch kit in without knowing about and already having agressive tires, makes no sense.
    He said he gets stuck in high country swamps in the Talkeetnas, OK now WG, think Pinochle on top. It doesn't matter what he does to that Rhino, he's going to get stuck

  12. #12

    Default

    I already have 26" tires. Mud and tundra swamps are very different. I am thinking that a cam kit may be the the next step because if I had more low end power I could maintain speed enough to stay afloat. I got bogged down alot and if I had more power and maintain a reasonible speed I would not get stuck to start with.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim k View Post
    I already have 26" tires. Mud and tundra swamps are very different. I am thinking that a cam kit may be the the next step because if I had more low end power I could maintain speed enough to stay afloat. I got bogged down alot and if I had more power and maintain a reasonible speed I would not get stuck to start with.
    My clutch kit made a huge difference in my 660. Do you have the EPI 660 clutch kit. Dalton and all the rest of the clutch kits sold are inferior to the EPI. Reason being is the EPI is the only one that supplies a stonger primary spring, 6 stronger secondary springs and lighter clutch weights. Most other kits try to get away with only the weights, none of the others suppy all 3.
    An HMF pipe, uni or k&n air filter and Dynojet will supply as much or more power as the mudbuster cam and is the usual progression in seeking more on these 660s. Not that you can't do the mudbuster first.

  14. #14

    Default

    dws weren't we on a Pinochle trip where I tried to follow a rhino with 27" HL Radials a couple years back? I thought my brute was bad in the mud, but I couldn't even follow this rhino at the top after the hill going back to the parking lot. His Rhino was nothing super special, just aftermarket tires. Him and his wife were winching me out constantly. Or was my brother the one on the trip?

    I took the rhino to Pinochle last year and found myself stuck just once the entire trip, and that was due to a steep incline. The front tires wouldn't bite and the rear end was high centered in the mud. I've always been impressed with the rhino's mudding capability.

    Now if we are talking bottomless swamps and a severly rutted trails maybe he should be talking to ODB.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    dws weren't we on a Pinochle trip where I tried to follow a rhino with 27" HL Radials a couple years back? I thought my brute was bad in the mud, but I couldn't even follow this rhino at the top after the hill going back to the parking lot. His Rhino was nothing super special, just aftermarket tires. Him and his wife were winching me out constantly. Or was my brother the one on the trip?

    I took the rhino to Pinochle last year and found myself stuck just once the entire trip, and that was due to a steep incline. The front tires wouldn't bite and the rear end was high centered in the mud. I've always been impressed with the rhino's mudding capability.

    Now if we are talking bottomless swamps and a severly rutted trails maybe he should be talking to ODB.
    No that wasn't me. I don't know what Rhinos can do in the mud. I know they are great at climbing hills also. Doesn't matter to me though as I would never buy a sidebyside. Seeing how you sold yours i'm guessing you'll never buy another one also.
    I would think 27s or 28s tires are for mudders or also 29.5s and 30s. 26s on a 660 are not mudder tires.

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Ya. like dws said my Highlifter/EPI clutch kit made a HUGE difference on my 660 Griz also. If you are after more power, then it's just a matter of how much money you want to spend. Go over to atvfrontier.com and raise silvertipgriz a friend of mine in the Yamaha forum. He has a totally modded out 660 Griz that he says has way more power than his new 700 FI Griz. 686 big bore kit, cammed, jetted, HMF pipe, custom clutch work by Hauk I think it is in addition to the EPI clutch kit.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Just having 26" tires doesn't mean they're good for you application. Heck, you could be running 28" Big Horns and they won't pull as well as 26" Outlaws in the mud. You have to match tire size and design to terrain and the vehicles ability. I've got 27" Swamplites on my 2007 Foreman. It's a great trail/rock/light mud tire, but they won't outperform my 29.5" Outlaws on my 2001 modded Foreman when it comes to pure mud. Just as the Outlaws don't perform as well as the Swamplites on hardpack.

    If you're looking for more torque then maybe you should look at adding the cam and a big bore kit to your rig. Combine that with a set of Gorilla axles and some true mud tires and you'll have a very capable mud rig. It still might not get you through everything, but one thing is for sure..........when you stick that rhino with those mods done to it you better be finding a tractor to pull you out!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •