Thread: What throw bags do you like best?

Question What throw bags do you like best?

Saw a new style throw bag the other day. Claims to be the best advance in 20 years. shaped like a football. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they really any better than my plain old ordinary NRS bag?

Where'd you see it? Sounds interesting.

I know that without a fair amount of practice, the usual throw bag will almost always splash down a few feet from you if using an overhand toss. Don't know why it is, but they go straight down when thrown that way. The preferred method is an underhand or side arm toss unless you practice getting it right. I wonder if this football style version is any different.

On a peripheral note, I was accosted by friendly Forest Service Rangers last Saturday. Turns out my cataraft (being over 16') is required to have on board a Coast Guard approved Type IV throwable PFD. I've been rowing this thing for nearly 15 years, and I had no clue. I wonder how I missed that? Of course, almost any Coastie will agree in private that a Type IV device is just about the most worthless thing to have on a raft, but that's another issue. Hopefully, I can find one that will do double duty as a good cooler seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Where'd you see it? Sounds interesting.

I know that without a fair amount of practice, the usual throw bag will almost always splash down a few feet from you if using an overhand toss. Don't know why it is, but they go straight down when thrown that way. The preferred method is an underhand or side arm toss unless you practice getting it right. I wonder if this football style version is any different.

On a peripheral note, I was accosted by friendly Forest Service Rangers last Saturday. Turns out my cataraft (being over 16') is required to have on board a Coast Guard approved Type IV throwable PFD. I've been rowing this thing for nearly 15 years, and I had no clue. I wonder how I missed that? Of course, almost any Coastie will agree in private that a Type IV device is just about the most worthless thing to have on a raft, but that's another issue. Hopefully, I can find one that will do double duty as a good cooler seat.
    I saw it at REI. I think they are mostly sold to whitewater kayakers. Looks like a little football, even has fake stitches. The brochure says you can throw it just like a football.

Somebody around must have used one?

Thumbs up

I have a couple of bags from SOLGEAR. The designer/owner of the company makes the bags himself and is a certified White Water rescue technician and trainer.

They are constructed from a stiff mesh and the line flies out of the bag every time. But as Jim said practice makes perfect. Here is his link. http://www.solgear.com/ I have several sol gear items that I use and all are excellent.