Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DB257, DC827, and DE702 Permits.

Default DB257, DC827, and DE702 Permits.

I'm not sure I got long to live with winning three permits in one year... so I ain't going out in any lightening storms, I can tell ya that!

I kinda know a little about these three permits, but any help, thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

On DB257, can you drive over from Larson bay road via atv to Sharatin Bay?

On DC827, is Ferry trail your best access point?

On DE702, how is access to that area best acheived?

And any other help would be greatly appreciated. I'll be glad to help with any questions you may have about Tok Sheep, DG360 for goats and Unit 13 where my lodge under construction is.

Also, if you won any of those permits, maybe we can get togther.

IS anyone else having trouble accessing the F&G drawing site?? I can't even look up the maps or anything.

Thanks!!!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I drew DB257 for next year. I drew DB 231 last spring. 231 is right across Kizhuyak bay from 257. I went too early, 15 April to 1 May. Way too much snow. I saw 1 sow with 2 cubs way up near the top sunning outside her den for 2 days. I saw, and got to within 150 yds, of a young 7 1/2' boar. I chose to pass. I also saw 2 other sets of tracks in the snow. There was a guide in the cabins at the end of the bay on 257. I spoke with Fish & Game and they told me that the guide and client has seen one 8' bear pass through camp. The client didn't get a shot because of a series of mishaps.

I sent ya a PM for DC827

Default Dc 827

I got drawn this year and 4 years ago. The ferry trail was a bust cause I did not have the kahunas to have my 4 wheeler swim past the Totatlanika. Saw no caribou from that trail. I may try to fly further in toward Moly ridge. Have not got it figured out.

Default what happened?

This post says the Totatlanika is so small a person can jump across this year

for 702 a few transporters around will boat you over or the air services will drop you off in Onion bay. This is the best tag you have out of the 3 with the big haircut to elk tags this year.

I am almost certain no 4 wheeler trail to Sharatin bay. Boat is the economical way to get over but can fly as well.

I've seen guys lose their 4 wheelers trying to cross California Creek and the Totatlanika. It is not a small stream by any stretch when accessing it via the Ferry trail.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    I got drawn this year and 4 years ago. The ferry trail was a bust cause I did not have the kahunas to have my 4 wheeler swim past the Totatlanika. Saw no caribou from that trail. I may try to fly further in toward Moly ridge. Have not got it figured out.
    well if you swim your 4 wheeler past the totat.... you stand a good chance at loosing it... as then you are in the wood river CUA and should be on foot...

we have not seen bou in ferry or the cali creek side in five years now...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    This post says the Totatlanika is so small a person can jump across this year
    air boat access to this river is considerably down stream from where the bou live... there is a canyon that it runs through prior to getting out to the flats. from there it thins out into the tundra some
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

okay i am going to say this a plain as i can to ALL that have or want to have the unit 20A DC 827...

this is my back yard.. in fact the herd USED to be in my back yard..

now they live and STAY in the wood river CUA, the Yanert CUA...

you have 2 chioces...

the Biologist say FLY in... if you fly... you stand a great chance at a NICE!!!!! bull.... they are absolutely worth it.

or walk in from a CUA boarder... the Totatlanika is the primary boarder... but this is NOT flat land this is steep river valleys... in sheep country. you better be in shape....

the Yanert Walk in is by far the most productive on this hunt. as the herd summers not far from there in the northern end of the unit 13 on the border of 20A if you have a horse.. you will be best to get there...

ATV access is slim to Nill..... to either CUA... it takes some knowledge of the area and the reg book... you are hunting the boarders of CUA's and need to know EXACTLY where they are .... you will be hunting among sheep hunters that walked in to a drainage. so don't chance nobody seeing you do it wrong... and F&G is always over head....

get the maps and study them....

ferry system is bust for caribou unless it snows this month.... there MAY be a straggler late in the season... into the ferry side but then you are competing with 10,000 moose hunters for access or camping areas...

meet on face book here

Spot on Vince! This use to be a good atv hunt but too many idiots ruined it for other hunters. If I had that tag I would fly in and shoot a hammer of a bull.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Spot on Vince! This use to be a good ATV hunt but too many idiots ruined it for other hunters. If I had that tag I would fly in and shoot a hammer of a bull.
    Na it is not the atv.... i have hunted this heard for the last 30+ years with my dad...

this used to be a huge herd over 10,000-15,000 animals... that ranged a good portion of the unit 20A and 20C boundries...

it mixed with the resident unit 13 herd around cantwell and started mixing with the Denali park " sacred " photo op caribou.....

F&G killed them off over a two year hunt plan... the herd is less then 1/4 its original size and the shape of it has changed dramatically... it has been 16 years since we have seen on or sign of one on our land in clear... they used to come down the power line in the spring and fall... no longer..

you chances of pulling one off an ATV NOW???? less than 5% would be my guess....

it is fun... all bou hunters here should keep a sheep harvest tag in the pocket also... JUST IN case... i would not count on a sheep but it has happened...

meet on face book here

Why did they close it to atv use then? I use to hunt them before it went to a draw and we'd ride our wheelers in 30 miles or more, sure miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Why did they close it to ATV use then? I use to hunt them before it went to a draw and we'd ride our wheelers in 30 miles or more, sure miss those days.
    LOL well hmmmm

i hate to bring this up... and have not seen Avalanche logged in here for some time...to righteously discuss it....

but perhaps some of the guided fly in moose hunts camps would care to elaborate on that subject......

meet on face book here

oh yeah denali hunter... sorry for the hijack!!!!

meet on face book here

Default old thread!

Wow, that thread came back from the dead! That was last year's July post!

Results:
    Went up Healy Creek for bou. Nothing.
    Couldn't make the Kodiak Brown Bear trip this spring, as I became poor in the spring.
    Went to Raspberry, and we got a nice elk out of there.

This year I have a lowly goat tag for Sadie Cove and a bou tag for Nelchina...

Good Luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Wow, that thread came back from the dead! That was last year's July post!

Results:
    Went up Healy Creek for bou. Nothing.
    Couldn't make the Kodiak Brown Bear trip this spring, as I became poor in the spring.
    Went to Raspberry, and we got a nice elk out of there.

This year I have a lowly goat tag for Sadie Cove and a bou tag for Nelchina...

Good Luck!
    Yeah, I was the Doctor on that resurrection... I searched for DC827 since I drew it this year. Right now I'd trade you for that Nelchina bou tag in a second... ya, I know...

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Yeah, I was the Doctor on that resurrection... I searched for DC827 since I drew it this year. Right now I'd trade you for that Nelchina bou tag in a second... ya, I know...
    Familyman,

I wouldn't trade that for a second. Being limited to hunting moose just in unit 13 would be LAME!!! At the cost of a one caribou?? Nah I'll hike in 5 miles and go get my 'bou. You drew a sweet tag man I'm jealous!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Familyman,

I wouldn't trade that for a second. Being limited to hunting moose just in unit 13 would be LAME!!! At the cost of a one caribou?? Nah I'll hike in 5 miles and go get my 'bou. You drew a sweet tag man I'm jealous!!
    I agree, being nearby it is one that i can dedicate a week or more two ( more then once) at a time with out a lot of effort. but it is a hard to fill tag with out air support.. you need to Plan the time.. not a day or so...

meet on face book here

I would say a 3 day weekend would be VERY doable on this hunt. Too bad I know draw this freaking tag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast