Thread: Chitina big surge of fish...arriving?

Default Chitina big surge of fish...arriving?

The big surge of fish at the sonar counter at Miles Lake should hit Chitina....?
    Saturdays message from Hem said fishing was 'poor' so they sure haven't hit Chitina as yet. 7-3 thru 7-7 is basically the surge dates at Miles Lake and the old "10-14 days to reach Chitina but thats highly variable" could put them in as early as tomorrow. The river level at Miles Lake has stabilized and Mark's recording(7-12) said the river was even dropping a bit. So given all that its anybodies guess. I am doing a road trip Fri-Mon elsewhere but could possibly do a run early to midweek, or wait and go next week after I get back. Sure would be fun to hit that surge. Would make short work of the 36 fish I still can get(june trip left me with only 4, and there's a supplemental for 10 extra this coming week and possibly next week also)
    Any guesses?
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Chitina View Post
    The big surge of fish at the sonar counter at Miles Lake should hit Chitina....?.....
    Some time ago.........

.....Any guesses?
    It ain't happening this year.

Hope they are coming this week. A group of us are heading down on thursday-sunday......We are taking a boat. Hopefully we can get into them.

Default Sat.

Got 8 reds (lost 4) and 2 Kings between my partner and I on Sat. night. Netted 8 Kings total, 2 tagged fish. Kept one 50 lb. and one about 35 lb. We had one other King that had to go 40-45.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Still looking slow....oh well. We"ll get a good camping trip out of the deal. There are 6 of us going down-3 family permits. Should be fun anyhow.

Default They're, or some of them, are in Chitina!

Mark Hem's recording from yesterday said that dipping was good to excellent! He said he was happy to say that it had been slow to poor for the last week and he sure sounded more upbeat than he had been the last few days. Not sure if I can fit in a trip Wed/Thur but I could always go Mon/Wed or so. I've not had any 'good to excellent' dipping for a few years. And its a supplemental to boot.
    Paul Holland

Default still slow...

Yow....almost made a mad dash down to Chitina. Just talked with a co-worker who said her husband just(Wed July 16th 5pm) got back from Chitina and that is was slow to very slow...Her husband had waited two hours in line, with Mark Hem and the other guy at O'Brien Creek who drop you off, and that the people coming in from overnighting were bringing in very few fish! So they waited a couple hours as the line moved very slowly and then said screw it and decided to bail. I held back for the reason that the River level at the bridge showed a rise of a half a foot on Tuesday(and the fact that a Chitina run, even if its quick and bountiful run, followed by an immediate road to outa the US, Dawson City Music Festival, is a wee bit too much for a 48 year old...lots of driving, dipping, drinking and dancing) so will wait till next week and try my luck.
    So its to a Foreign Country for music, drink, dance and gambling this weekend.(and a Cuban cigar or two) Hopefully a quick recovery and then slay them in Chitina next week during the second Supplemental.
    Here's the link to the River level right at! the Bridge in Chitina(the river level at Miles Lake would seem to lag behind on the correct status of the river at Chitina)
    http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...ew=1,1,1,1,1,1
    not sure if its for only todays date. Hit the 'refresh' button to update it to be sure. Whoever does it is not paid much, as the data can lag some, last summer I e-mailed complaining of a data gap and got a reply that the person doing the hand measurement had gotten married that week. So its hard to ***** about that too much. Good luck to you and wish it back to me!
    Paul Holland

I did a shotgun trip out of Fairbanks Monday night. Drove down after work, fished all night, drove right back ...36 hours of no sleep and 7 fish for 10 hours of dipping. The surge either wasn't there yet or the high river level had them too far out from shore ...or the fact (that I found out now) that the river was rising had them holding up somewhere. Fun trip either way. Rain is predicted to be coming in any time now, so it's hard to say how good the rest of the week will be. On the bright side, a reasonable 11k bump at the sonar should be showing up a week from this weekend ...hopefully with good timing and a dropping river level.

Brian

wednesday, canyon, from boat...171 in 9 hours...no bs...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Drifting or tied up on the cliffs somewhere??? I am heading down this morning with a boat. I got a couple spots picked out to tie up but just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    Drifting or tied up on the cliffs somewhere??? I am heading down this morning with a boat. I got a couple spots picked out to tie up but just curious.
    tied up

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks...Boat loaded, ice, & Beer!!! I'm OUT!!!!