Thread: How's the dipp'n?

Default How's the dipp'n?

Anybody wet their nets in the Kenai or Kasilof yesterday or today? Weather forecast yesterday (Saturday) called for a south wind starting last night and continuing through today. Just wondering if the reds started heading up river yet...

Also, how strong is the (late-run sockeye) run on the Kenai "supposed" to be this year?

I dipped the Kas thursday night (11Jul), Friday and Saturday.

Thurs 3 hours no fish for me or my friend. Friday 6 hours. 11 fish for me. 5 for him (he had a smaller net). Sat; 2 hours, my friend caught 1 fish. 0 for me. It happened to be a big fish.

Commercial boats did not fish Firday so that accounts for the best harvest though meager. Saturday they were choked off. Almost no one caught fish. Thouse I did see caught were small.

Weather on Friday and Saturday was partly sunny. Wind south to south west.

Interesting, forum member "grampyfishes" said limits were being taked from both shores of the Kenai. No one else seemed to share that experience, including myself.

you know of the few year's I've fished kasilof and the boats are out I have seen them come right up in the mouth of the river at low tide and string there nets all the way across the river it's a know wonder why nobody catches fish

Default Kenai dipping

thursday, I got 2 fish in two hours. Friday I got 6 fish in two hours. Saturday, I got 8, large reds, 4 flounders in about 1 1/2 hours. getting better everyday

How big were your reds- just curious only one we got was around 7 and a half pounds with 2 nets from boat for 2 and a half hours for incoming/high tide- didnt fish outgoing because things were so slow.

this was sat-

Gunrman,

Were you fishing from shore? Which beach if so. So far you have won the trophy for Kasilof last weekend.

I got two on Sunday in a couple hours..
    They were both small and appeard to have net marks on them..
    Some others were catching larger fish but it was still pretty slow

Default Thank your fish and game COMFISH for such numbers.

Guys, you have to remember, you are at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to allocation. Last saturday- Dipnetters 2000- Setnetters , 75'000. Escapement =3000 fish so go count your blessings. and Quite whining, your allotment just happened to swim by your net, says Grampy fishes, My numbers might be off a day but they are not wrong.

Default still on hold...

Thanks for the feedback to my original question. Keep those fish'n reports coming!

Default Kasilof

A buddy and I dipped the Kasilof Sun night and Monday morning. We started around 11:30 Sunday night, fishing was slow, buddy caught 3 reds in about 4 hours, I only caught one small flounder. Around midnight the commercial boats started heading out, so I was not too optimistic about Monday morning, but we gave it a shot. Got down to the water around 9:30 monday morning, but the tide was still going out, and I couldn't hold my net in front of me, the current kept pushing it to the shore, so we sat on the beach and waited. About 10:15, we decided to give it another shot. It was slow till about 11, then everyone started pulling them in pretty fast. We fished till 1:30 or so in the afternoon. We ended up with 51 fish between the two of us. We decided that would feed both of our familes for the year, so decided to quit. As we packed up and left, people were still catching them pretty quick. It was my first time dipnetting and I am hooked.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    A buddy and I dipped the Kasilof Sun night and Monday morning. We started around 11:30 Sunday night, fishing was slow, buddy caught 3 reds in about 4 hours, I only caught one small flounder. Around midnight the commercial boats started heading out, so I was not too optimistic about Monday morning, but we gave it a shot. Got down to the water around 9:30 monday morning, but the tide was still going out, and I couldn't hold my net in front of me, the current kept pushing it to the shore, so we sat on the beach and waited. About 10:15, we decided to give it another shot. It was slow till about 11, then everyone started pulling them in pretty fast. We fished till 1:30 or so in the afternoon. We ended up with 51 fish between the two of us. We decided that would feed both of our familes for the year, so decided to quit. As we packed up and left, people were still catching them pretty quick. It was my first time dipnetting and I am hooked.

Jake
    When were you dipping in relation to the tide?

Default tide

We were dipping the incoming tide. I believe low tide was 9:40am that day, and high tide was 3:40pm.

Default Another Kasilof report

My wife and I arrived at the Kasilof about 10:30 PM Monday (July 14th) night. We were dipping by 11:00 as the tide started coming in. I was surprised how few folks were down there. We quit by 1:30 AM with 14 fish. I got up at 6:30 AM on Tuesday (July 15th) morning and had 3 fish right off the bat. I went back to wake up my wife and let her know. Before she was ready to join me, I had 8 more in the cooler. We quit by 8:00 AM with 18 fish for the morning. The best part, I ended the year with a triple in the net! All told, we dipped 32 fish in about 4 hours effort. Pretty darn good given the reports we'd been hearing. The fish were on the small side (most were anyway), at least they were small compared to the few we got over July 4th but the action was steady.

Interesting note for Tuesday morning, the tide was going out and the current was too strong to hold my net in place. I basically walked with it not even 5 yards off shore and still had fish running between the net and shoreline. They were sure hugging the bank as the current was moving.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon
    Interesting, forum member "grampyfishes" said limits were being taked from both shores of the Kenai. No one else seemed to share that experience, including myself.
    Sorry to hear that. Early in the run, timing is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000
    Quite whining, your allotment just happened to swim by your net, says Grampy fishes
    I didn't say that at all. In fact I wasn't aware of any "allotment", and I've lived here long enough to know the run hasn't even begun to swim by your nets yet. It's just starting.

I received a phone call that one boat did 35 in 1 hour 15 minutes today. That's one about every 2 minutes. Then another boat did 84. Yesterday a friend did 72. My neighbor down the street just finished cleaning 32 he got from shore. He gave me the eggs for silver fishing. I have no idea what yukon and thewhop2000's problem is other than timing and patience.

Was at the mouth of the Kenai last night and it was the best dipping I've ever seen, we limited out quick and were getting 3 at a time a lot.
    Go get them!
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Q:When's the best time to fish?

A: When you can

Prime example of somebody fishing because they can

The numbers for the Kenai looked putrid but B-buster went anyway and slayed em

Congrats

I'm hoping things don't fall off the edge of the table Thursday morning, that's when I can go

Default Sounds Promising

Where would be the best place to dip net on the Kasilof or Kenai this weekend? Never been fished that area and was wondering what beach is best around Kasilof also. Any advice would be helpful.