Thread: Removing Blood From Dall Sheep Mount

Default Removing Blood From Dall Sheep Mount

I got my sheep back from the taxidermist and it still has blood stains on it. He didn't bleach them out because he said that the hair would eventually turn yellow. I thought that I could live with the mount the way that it is, but the more I look at it, the more it bugs me. I was pretty diligent in the field trying to remove the blood but obviously didn't get it all. I was afraid to totally saturate the hide in the stream because I wanted to get the moisture out of the hide and get the hair set as quickly as possible, but in hindsight, maybe I should have just dunked it and took my chances. (However, I figured better to have some stains than to have slippage.) A buddy of mine said that his taxidermist had some sort of a paste that he put on the hair after it was mounted. I looked in Van Dyke's catalogue and found some stuff called Basic White. I am hoping that someone that contributes to this forum (hopefully a competent taxidermist) can shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada

First off, NEVER be affraid to soak a sheep hide in the creek! Get'em in the creek and scrub the blood out, your not going to hurt it. Secondly, you may have to live with the stained color, depends on how bad it is. Thirdly, leave well enough alone, you may make a bigger mistake by trying to correct it.

Good Luck.

Talking blood stains

A method I've successfully used is to get some 40% strength hydrogen peroxide (a local beauty salon might sell you a small amount) and brush (use a small paint brush) a small amount on the blood stained area, but wetting it thoroughly. Leave it on for just a short time (less than a minute) and then sponge area well with clean water to remove peroxide from hair, then wipe excess moisture from hair with paper towels and let dry. This should leave the area nice and white. Be sure and use rubber gloves and glasses if you try this method or you'll come out white too. When I have excessive blood stained hides like sheep or antelope, I soak the entire cape or hide in saturated cold water with Ivory soap. They come out very clean and they tan far superior to hide not soaked. One can just look at them and see a great difference. I wish I could do them all that way.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default I'll help you

I'm a licensed local taxidermist and can probably help you. If you want to bring the mount over to my studio I'll show you how to solve the problem, no charge. Give me a call 952-1039, leave a message if necessary. Good hunting.