Thread: Question about youth bows

Default Question about youth bows

After yesterdays time at the Archers Den I have been wondering about my youngest and her ability to wield a bow. She is 8 years old and small framed, so her initial time with the bow was a bit rough. Paul made a couple adjustments to the bow and was great in teaching her the basics. To her credit, she started with arrows flying all over the place and finished by putting 10 in row on the target board. She even popped her balloon with the last shot. She was using a small Genesis bow.

My question is this: Will youth bows for the little ones take down small game? If we get into this the goal would be target shooting and eventually small game hunting. My little ladies may talk all sweet, but underneath they want to go out and kill something.

I am just curious about buying her a small bow that would end up doing well at the range, but unable to take down a bunny in the field. Or would we be able to up the poundage on the bow as her strength and skills improve? Or am I not giving the power of those small bows enough credit?

Money for bows is limited and I would hate to drop a couple hundred for a bow just to upgrade a short time later. Paul did show me a bow system he had that allows a bow to grow with the user, but it looked a bit large for her just yet. Would be a good setup for my 12 year old though.

I use a 25# recurve for small game and have had no problem harvesting everything I've shot at so far. Remember that most plains Indian bows were in the 25 pound range and consistently took elk and deer.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Talking parker

parker has a program that starts at 20 pounds and goes to 50 along with adjustable draw length. you pay an extra fifty bucks when you buy the bow. when youre ready for the upgrade you contact them and send it in. they will return it to you how you ask for it. not a bad deal. i shoot a parker and i love it! plus a lifetime warranty helps.

Beat me to it. Grow up with parker.

Whisper creek archery has two great youth bows as well that are VERY adjustable to a young archer/hunter.

Panther-->Draw adjustable 17-27 inches and weight 20-50 pounds
    Phantom-->Draw adjustable 14-24 inches and weight 10-25+ pounds

Default parker

My brother started with the grow up with parker plan when he was 11. He has upgraded twice and is now 15. He has 6 whitetails under his belt and gives me a run for my money every time I go home. great program, definitely worth a look, IMHO

Default Youth bow

My 9yr old son has been shooting with a Matthews (Mustang is the model, I think) which allows increase of draw weight up to 32lb. I had to gradually max it out to prep him for the Certification test (IBEW) which he just passed last week. Now I will have to change out the cams so he can go caribou hunting next week with it at 40lb. My 11yr old daughter has been shooting with a Hoyt Banshee for the past year and it seems to be an excellent fit for her. She is only at 26lb but I believe it will adjust to 40lb without having to change the cams. If I were to do it again I would bought both of them a Hoyt. Easy to find on Ebay. Take care
    Keith

Thanks for the tips guys. Given me some good options to consider.

So far it looks like my 8 year old likes the compound and the rest of the family liked the recurve. I think the recurve we tried was too large for her to handle. Will probably get her one of the compounds listed here and a recurve for sis and mom. Still undecided which way I am going to go.

It basically boils down to how much time you can/are willing to invest in archery/bowhunting. If you go traditional, you better be much more into it than shooting one with training wheels (as the trad boys say)... Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    It basically boils down to how much time you can/are willing to invest in archery/bowhunting. If you go traditional, you better be much more into it than shooting one with training wheels (as the trad boys say)... Just my opinion...
    And good advice, however traditional shooting is very rewarding and not as hard as many folks think. Thing is most traditional shooters shoot instinctively and it can be hard too make the switch. If your wife and oldest shoot firearms less than you they may pick up instinctive shooting more quickly than you because they haven't been focusing on sights for years. Instinctive shooting is more like throwing a ball, or skeet shooting than shooting a rifle and with practice can be very effective in the field, some archers even wing shoot geese and peasant.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default youth bows

So who in town carrys a youth bow? Especially the Parker or Whisper Creek. Looks like there is no dealer for Whisper Creek. Not sure on Parker. I know SW carries parker but not sure if the youth models. Took my little with me out to Archers' Den. He loved it. He had shot some bows before in Oregon at a camp years ago. It was pretty cool seeing him shoot and get so excited. I was surprised at how well he listened to the guy, already forgot his name. Very nice place and atmosphere.

Fletchers had whisper creek bows but you better call them before they close the store...

Default Youth Bows

I bought my son a Bow Tech Rascal when he turned 7. The bow will go from 20 to 40 lbs and has several different modules to change the draw lenght on it. He is now 8 and is shooting about 28lbs. He shoots the bow with a small release. Prior to this he had the "lil shooter" and then a cheap kids compound(junk). Since getting him the Rascal, his accuracy has drastically improved. He is shooting a 3 arrow, 3" group at 20 yards. This year I will let him shoot a couple fox with it.

This bow was so well made that it was not cost effective for Bow Tech so they quit making it. You can still find some of them for sale used. We got a camo color but I think they made it in several different colors. Possibly some girl colors. Google (Bow Tech Rascal) and you can see the bow.

I really cant say enough good about it and I am not a huge Bow Tech fan.

If you want pics of my son's set up let me know.

Matt

I managed to get a sweet deal on a Genesis. That will get us started with no worries about the kids outgrowing it next week.

Now to learn some fletching skills and find a bow for myself...

Thumbs up Browning Micro Midas

The Browning Micro Midas has 10" of draw length adjustment with out a bow press!!
    My son shot one for 5 years before he out grew it, very nice bow for the money.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pod&id=0046523

it may be too late but sportsmans carries parkers.