Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman scale being a PITA!

Default Lyman scale being a PITA!

Just bought it a few days ago. Model 1000 something. Used it for about 200 rounds so far. After being calibrated and zeroed it'll usually works fine for awhile then randomly changes zero by almost always -.4 grains. This only happens with powder in the pan. With just the pan on it it'll stay at zero. Once this started I made sure I wasn't even breathing on it and tried it in different spots on the bench. Didn't help. Any suggestions or did I just get a bum scale?

Default I've go the same issue

Mine is a Lyman 1000 grain electronic scale, bought brand new in November. I calibrate it before every session and check it with check weights. Ill get it where I feel good about it and start charging cases and sure enough 15-20 cases in I知 having problems. Here痴 how mine works:

I値l pick the empty pan up to throw a charge and the scale will read -115.5 gr. I値l throw a charge in the pan, place the pan on the scale, trickle till I知 happy with the charge weight, (I usually set my powder measure up to throw a little light), then I pick the pan up to pour the charge into a case and repeat the process. Ill glance down at the scale before throwing another charge and now the scale reads -115.7 grains! It seams that darn thing varies between -115.7 and -115.3 (or +/- 0.4 of a grain). It痴 gotten so bad that I知 now in the habit of picking a charge that I知 trying to load and basically calling it good enough if I can get the scale to read within one or two tenth's of it. Pretty frustrating.

I was thinking it was just a fluke scale or maybe the air currents in my garage were somehow messing with it. Perhaps there is a little more to it??

Anyone else have similar issues?

I was at a major manufacturers plant one day and saw a whole pallet stacked with electronic powder scales. I asked and was told hey were returned and exchanged under warranty. Hundreds of them. I got to wondering about something I had read about the FCC relaxing the rules on shielding devises from RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). Sure enough on the back side of the scales "No FCC" warning label. No, this devise is protected warning at all. There are tons of thing that emit RFI, the list is nearly endless.

After coming to that conclusion, I decided to stick with my old Ohaus 1010 scale. They ain't sexy, they have just worked for more than 35 years.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

My Lyman 1200 DPS pumps the powder out like lies from a democratic poltician...and I get SDs as low as 8 on the loads I do with it

Electronic scales in general are affected by vibration,and flourescent lighting and are generally no more than +/- .1 grain any way. I just rezero mine quite often, about every 10 charges and it seems to be ok. I have the pact dispenser and scale that talk to each other and it works quite well, just slow. I also keep a balance beam scale on the shelf to check charges and keep them weighing the same.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Try wiping down the pan and the outside of the machine with your favorite fabric softener sheet and see how that works. You stated this only happens when the powder is in the pan, sounds like a little static.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Well, it got worse. Can't even get one charge to be consistant. Even if it'll stay at a given charge if I put it in a case then back in the pan it's off from what it was 5 seconds earlier. Tried the suggestions here as well as from another site to no avail. It's going back.
    I think I'm going to take a crowbar to my wallet and try the big fancy RCBS automatic thing. Don't remember the name of it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    Well, it got worse. Can't even get one charge to be consistant. Even if it'll stay at a given charge if I put it in a case then back in the pan it's off from what it was 5 seconds earlier. Tried the suggestions here as well as from another site to no avail. It's going back.
    I think I'm going to take a crowbar to my wallet and try the big fancy RCBS automatic thing. Don't remember the name of it right now.
    Maybe you would like to do a little reading first?

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/1266096.htm
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Nice review there. My mind is made up. Checked out the customer reviews at Midway and Cabelas too. Nearly all 5 star except for a few that didn't work right out of the box but they were immediatly exchanged by RCBS. I know a few companies that could take a lesson in customer service from RCBS. Midway has it on sale right now too.

I have the Rockchucker combo and it works wonderfully, AFTER I wiped it down with a Downey sheet. This is what the nice lady who answers the telephone at RCBS told me to do. So now, before loading, I just wipe it down and it is rock-solid for as long as I am putting powder in cartridges.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

This is the same reason why I stopped using electronic scales for anything other than weighing batches of brass or bullets.

The thing I dong get about users of the electronic toys is the desire to go back to another one, Electronic scale after having trouble with one? What is the benefit to slower reloading with these scales/throwers? Even with the Prometheus, which is the only one I would consider, it's still slower than a good Harrells and manual scale, checking every tenth charge.

Put away your chronys folks, don't worry about SD. No gun ever built can show a difference out to 300 yards with loads of 3/10 of a grain in SD.

I know what the theory is supposed to be and how it's suppose to work, But theory and results are not always proven to be one in the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    What is the benefit to slower reloading with these scales/throwers? Even with the Prometheus, which is the only one I would consider, it's still slower than a good Harrells and manual scale, checking every tenth charge..
    The way I do it can charge a case with the Lyman 1200 DPS in less then 20 seconds. Thats fast enough for me.

No gun ever built can show a difference out to 300 yards with loads of 3/10 of a grain in SD.
    To each his own, but I have seen it at 100. I'll stick with every load being the same

To each his own, but I have seen it at 100. I'll stick with every load being the same

No rifle can produce a difference in group size by DS. There now I said it again. I can tell you for a fact that unlimited class bench rest rifle that have no limit shoot 10 shot groups all unweighted charges. What comes with the drop from the powder. NO ONE weights charges. These are shot out to 300 yards. These are 10 shot groups. the rail guns are not touched and mounted on a bench. All or as much human error is eliminated.

A few thousand bench rest competitors across the world shoot unweighted charges at one hundred and two hundred yards and once in a while out to 300 yards. I personally have never seen anyone weight a charge. Everybody throws from powder measures.

If SD meant a difference in smaller groups all of these shooters would weigh charges. To a man they would. No other shooting sport I've ever been in is more follow the winner than this bunch.

No stone for more accuracy is left unturned. I would not kid you.

If just one shooter turned up with a 1600.00 Prometheus powder measure and beat or won a match, there would be a run on that measure like you would not believe.

If you take your rifle out to Birchwood, with your best loads, I'll bring mine and throw charges with no scales to weight charges and load at the range, and we can see whats what. Smallest five shot group at 100, 200 or 3, take your pick. Or we can shoot them all. Don't forget to bring your chrony.

Default Rcbs 750

I have mentioned this electronic scale before. I purchased it after reading the customer reviews on Midwayusa, a very handy tool. I knew the scale would vary a slight bit, as they all do, but this one is less prone to air movement and vibration and it will vary the reading without powder in the pan by +/- 2 10ths of a grain which is minimal unless you are working up a max pistol load and are nearing the end safety point. I love it.

If you take your rifle out to Birchwood, with your best loads, I'll bring mine and throw charges with no scales to weight charges and load at the range, and we can see whats what. Smallest five shot group at 100, 200 or 3, take your pick. Or we can shoot them all. Don't forget to bring your chrony.
    10 shot groups, 2 minutes per string off a bipod? $30 for each string youre on...

Don't forget to bring your money

PS I used to shoot benchrest when I was young and threw charges like everyone else. In proper hands in a proper measure, thrown charges are as good as any scale. The difference between the two is the ablity of the thrower. I suck at it, ergo, I use a scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    10 shot groups, 2 minutes per string off a bipod? $30 for each string youre on...

Don't forget to bring your money

PS I used to shoot benchrest when I was young and threw charges like everyone else. In proper hands in a proper measure, thrown charges are as good as any scale. The difference between the two is the ablity of the thrower. I suck at it, ergo, I use a scale.
    Off of a bipod? How about just my front rest and rear bag? I have a bi pod but it's on a AR upper. I'm not going to drill a hole in my forearm to try and make it work. Small group at 100 or? Sighters allowed. You call it?

Sheesh, I just wanted to know about electronic scales.

Interesting to know that there are measures that work that well. Mine doesn't.
    I don't have any bench guns but a half a grain does make a difference with certain loads in my guns so I wanted something as accurate as my old 5 0 5 just faster. I gotta say the RCBS combo unit is everything everyone I've heard from claims it is. Tried it out today loading for .257 and .22-250 and it has another charge ready by the time I've seated the bullet in the last one and my 5 0 5 agreed with it everytime I checked. It never lost it's zero and only over charged by a tenth or two a few times with Varget. I got what I was looking for. Hard to beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Off of a bipod? How about just my front rest and rear bag? I have a bi pod but it's on a AR upper. I'm not going to drill a hole in my forearm to try and make it work. Small group at 100 or? Sighters allowed. You call it?

Front rest and rear bag? Off bench? Sure...small group at each range 100/200/300..$30 per string.....but 10 shots in two minutes though, at each distance right?

Why would you need sighters if we are just group shooting...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Front rest and rear bag? Off bench? Sure...small group at each range 100/200/300..$30 per string.....but 10 shots in two minutes though, at each distance right?

Why would you need sighters if we are just group shooting...
    Been a long time since you shot in the wind? Has it been so long you have forgotten what wind flags are for? Or are you that old that when you were a group shooter nobody used flags. Like pre mid 70's?

No, five shots per group at what ever distance out to 300 yards. Birchwood only goes to 300. (10 shots per group is for rail guns, or bag guns, unlimited). It's five shots in five minutes. five targets per yardage.

You can call it quits whenever or at anytime during the match. Equipment failures etc.

I'll supply the standard NBRSA/IBS targets. Does this sound fair to you? I have a timer, if you don't.

Lets do this from here on out by PM or by phone. I need to know as I have bullets to swage before I can shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast