Thread: Tires for 2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450

Default Tires for 2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450

I have a 2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450 with 25 x 8 x 12 front and 25 x 10 x 12 rear original equiptment tires. I ride mud, swamp, hard trail and cross streams/small rivers all in the same day (moose camp is ways back in).
    I mostly ride from the Eureka gravel pit to the confluence of the Big and Little Oshetna Rivers, via either Yacko creek or up through the Horse Pasture. Can I replace the original tires with a 27" Mudlite XL without having clutch problems or would the 26" Mudlite AT tires be a better choice. The XL's have an 1 1/8" lug and the AT's have a 3/4" lug.
    Any help would be appreciated.

My wife rides a 450 Grizzly with 26" Mudlite XTR's. No need for a bigger tire and I'm not sure the 27" tires wouldn't rub on big bumps.

If you want to do yourself a favor, get aftermarket wheels (more offset) that'll give you a wider stance and more stability. They made a huge difference on the Grizzly.

Check out for free shipping on tires/wheels to Alaska.

I think you would be happier with 26" tires on the 450.

I'd go with the 26" tire.

Look into ITP589's. Im sure the Mudlight is a good tire but the 589's have more tread meat and they will last longer giving you more tread life for your dollar jmo. Several friends have jumped ship to the 589's after seeing mine go through the mud holes so I can pull them out from the other side. You always hear the more wieght to spin issue and my 450 handles them fine as well as the wifes 300.