Thread: Homer lagoon silvers

Default Homer lagoon silvers

When typically is the peak of silver fishing in the Homer Lagoon/fishing hole?
    Any tips on lures, techniques to use there?
    Last year, we fished there for a few hours amidst the crowd on the incoming tide; was pretty tough. I did get one silver on a Vibrax, but the guy next to me had the system down pat: we were both standing on rocks right where the channel is. On the incoming tide, he had plug-cut herring that was already to fish (had a small plastic container of them pre-cut) and once the incoming current was flowing pretty good, he just tossed that herring in the current and ended up with 3 silvers in about 15 minutes. I was standing not 2 feet away from him trying to get the fish to hit the Vibrax. I think this year I'm gonna be better prepared!
    How about doing the same thing but with a bobber? Just put a chunk of herring on a hook below the bobber and drift in the current? Would have to keep retrieving/casting in that situation compared to just keeping the plug cut bait in the current, letting the current do the work.
    Thanks,
    Jim

ever done the 'legal snagging hook'? may not be legal now but at the time it was and it hooks fish in the mouth. PM me if you want to know what it is..
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    ever done the 'legal snagging hook'? may not be legal now but at the time it was and it hooks fish in the mouth. PM me if you want to know what it is..
    Discussed in depth here...and it is listed as "ILLEGAL" in the regs.

Just an FYI.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post

What honor is there in that?

Jim
    what time of year was that when you were there? I will be heading up in July next year and will be staying in Homer with a friend and plan on hitting the lagoon a few times.

bout the snagging hook, im dead honest here, I have NEVER tried it. I was at the hole and the guy next to me was killing the silvers on it, i used eggs and couldn't land a fish to save my life. herring does ok but its mostly a matter of how many fish are in there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    What honor is there in that?
    That's probably what the British said to the Yankees on the battlefield about 1775
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default kgcpr:

I think it was about Aug. 1st or so. How about it guys; any tips on those silvers???? Peak of that run?
    Jim