Thread: Trolling for Seward Silvers

Default Trolling for Seward Silvers

I will be in Seward next summer with a buddy who has a 26ft halibut boat. we want to hit the Silvers. We do not have down riggers and i dont want to buy and mount any for just a few days. Is there a way to troll for them without downriggers that works? Thanks for all your help guys!

Buy a couple of jet planers. Experiment with how much line to let out to find the correct depth.

Default Divers...

Worked well for us one year out at Fox for silvers. We too didn't have downriggers; all we had was the same stuff (baitcaster reels/rods we used for reds on the Kenai) and the Luhr Jensen divers. We basically just did a slow troll and those divers pulled the lures/herring down to the fish. We first tried banana sinkers but nada and a old guy out there and his wife were yanking the fish in with 'riggers. He said we had to get the bait down 20-30', so I just happened to have the divers with me (we use our boat quite a bit on the Kenai river)and we got 14 silvers that day, was one of the best fishing days in my life (in the top 5). The weather was picture perfect and calm (until we tried to get back in to Seward!) and the fish were pretty good size, one about 15 or so lbs.
    One thing to keep in mind is mooching, which we didn't do, as we were having a ball on the slow troll. In hindsight, we should've mooched that area as well, but not having a decent fish finder we didn't try it, although I believe that mooching would've worked once we were in the fish. Maybe once you get a fish on trolling, have a rod pre-rigged and ready to immediately drop with herring???
    Jim

Guys what is a jet planer? I have no idea what they are. Also what did you fish behind them? Spoons, spinners or herring? Thanks for your help!

Jet planer or "jet diver" -plastic device attached to your line to catch water as you troll and dive your bait down. Come in different depths. Available everywhere- Sportsman's, etc. I typically do best at about 20'. Attach a 3-4 foot leader to a "flasher" or other attractor and then to hooks with herring. Look at the rigging dislpay board at sportsman's wharehouse(no I don't work there).One trip last year my brother caught as many silvers trolling a pixie that skipped about the surface as we did with the downriggers. I have always wanted to try a deep diving artificial minnow- maybe its just as good as herring, saves you from buying it and rebaiting? Anybody know?

Had a great two days (7/10 and 7/11/08) at Seward. Went out as far as Agness Cove. Trolling a doger with Echip clip on herring at 35-40 ft with downrigger was productive, but equally productive was mooching with banana wt and herring or trolling with the same. I did as well mooching as trolling, saved lots of petrol.
    Many of the charters were drifting and mooching small banana weights with cut up cross sections of herring-I saw lots of doubles, even tripples. Action flowed and ebbed all day Friday, I fished the morning on Sat, was back on the road at 4pm.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Guys what is a jet planer? I have no idea what they are. Also what did you fish behind them? Spoons, spinners or herring? Thanks for your help!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...entId=cat20166

Default Planers

The "Pink Lady" and the "Deep Six" are two well known, effective planers. I have both downriggers and divers. When trolling silvers, it seems like the results are very similar one versus the other. Downriggers obviously will take bigger gear (flashers, etc.) deeper. Don't try pulling an 11" hot spot flasher behind a planer. Downsize a bit, and they work great.

Smile Mooching?

If you are not dead set on trolling, try mooching. You'll probably catch more fish and use less gas. A 1-4oz banana sinker, a hook, and a chunk of herring is all you need for terminal gear. You can often drift through active schools of fish and pick up multiple hook-ups.
    Good Luck!