Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: colt m4 carbine experiences

Default colt m4 carbine experiences

Anyone have one of these? pros/con? Toy or tool? Thanks!

The best. A PM to me may be in order, you may got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by bearheart View Post
    TOOL.

Wouldn't say the BEST, but definitly very high on the list of tools.

For the money, I'd say go with a Noveske rifle. About the same price as Colt, and a heckuva lot better.

And I like the logo better than some prancing pony

I have held up responding to this post, just wanted to see what the replies were going to be like.

A question I have is this going to be be a whole rifle purchase? A part build, or scratch build?

You can do much better than a Colt, You can spend less money and build cheaper, get much more for your money. I like the M-4, I don't think of it as a toy?

I think of any of these iterations of the AR15/M-16 as just foundations to build whatever you want. You can do just about anything you want to a lower. Most if not all lowers are built to mill-spec. "One Lower, many uppers".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Whole rifle purchase is the plan.

Have Colt carbine (LE model that became legal after sunset). It is an absolutely great rifle. It's never so much as given me a hiccup. Can't say that for very many store-shelf brands, especially the Bushmasters I use on the job, which fail constantly. I've got no desire to do a bunch of goofy high speed low drag tactical ballistic nylon rail mounted upgrades, so the Colt suits me perfectly. If you're looking for significant changes after you buy it or even swapping uppers then choose another brand as you'll find the Colt has some unique specs that don't always align with all those aftermarket goodies you can start strapping on.

I do have to make reply to one comment... if you choose your gun simply for the "cool factor" of the company logo, then it really doesn't matter what you buy. Personally, I think the Colt logo is pretty "cool", but that thought never crossed my mind when shopping for this gun.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have bought a lot of parts from this young fellow and the prices and service have been good on the parts, and the service is just unbelievable. I thought it's like being back in the fifties with his service.

http://colemantyler.com/categories.p...52ac9577424e72

No I haven't tried his rifles complete. Then again I have never bought a complete AR in my life. Evey thing he puts in his rifles are what I would pick for a build.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

What are you gonna use it for? How hard are you gonna run it?

If your the average guy any major brand will do. However if your running it hard for serious work then I would go Noveski, LMT, BCM, Colt or Sabre Defense not in that or per say.

Complete rifles are good as most manufactures stand behind their product.

Building is easy if you have the tools and like the hobby. But if its your first and its a personal protection peice then buy one of the above mentioned. You'll spend a little more but you be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I do have to make reply to one comment... if you choose your gun simply for the "cool factor" of the company logo, then it really doesn't matter what you buy. Personally, I think the Colt logo is pretty "cool", but that thought never crossed my mind when shopping for this gun.
    Colt's a good rifle, but Noveske is the same price, a bit lighter and a lot more accurate. Do a little searching on Google and you'll get more than your fill of information.

The logo, by the way, wasn't the only deciding factor. Just kind of a "bonus".

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

I have a Colt 6933 (factory 5.56 SBR)and a Colt 6520 (9mm), I would say they are a top of the line tool. I have other plinking AR's and there really is NO comparison to a Colt when you are concerned with quality.

- Clint

Default No Colt ARs for me.

I was one payday away from having saved enough to buy a H-Bar when Colt decided we common folks couldn't be trusted with EBRs. Long time ago, but some memories are long.

I bought a PWA and shot it lots in HP matches, nothing fancy but it shot when I pulled the trigger. Years latter I bought a matched PWA upper and lower at a good price. The wife bought me a Bushmaster Dissipator barrel assembly that I had installed and then I installed the rest of the parts from Rock River. Gun never misses a beat. I shoot the metal sights and really like the Dissipator set up.

The CMP had a deal going where shooters could buy comp. rifles and my wife bought me one. Bushmaster parts set up by Compass Lake Eng. with a Kreiger barrel. Very nice rifle and I've shot it a lot. Only time it choked was with FC brass reloads.

I sent the original PWA into Compass Lake Eng. for a their upgrade package and had them install a new barrel. It also shoots wonderfully.

Some gotta have the pony on the side, but I think Bushmaster and Rock River, to name but two, put out mighty fine products with out the different sized pins and other suprises that come with the ponys.

Somehow, I knew someone would post that stupid chart.

Colt makes nice rifles, but they're not in the same league as some of the better names.

For your money, a Noveske, is the same price, and a better gun.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
    Somehow, I knew someone would post that stupid chart.

Colt makes nice rifles, but they're not in the same league as some of the better names.

For your money, a Noveske, is the same price, and a better gun.

I posted that "stupid chart" to show the original poster where other manufacturers stand... He asked a question. Go back and reread the original question. He didn't even ask if Colt was better than brand X, he asked if it was a tool or a toy... he asked if anyone of us actually owned one. He asked for our opinion on these rifles, how better to answer his question than to look at that "stupid chart"?

That "stupid chart" says all kinds of things to me. First off it says that there are a few manufacturers that don't have the same quality control that Colt has. They cut corners by using sub par parts...

Secondly it says to me that you get what you pay for. Colt has built a reputation by providing a quality firearm for several decades...

Thirdly that "stupid chart" is an awesome reference for the uninformed consumer at a glance. How many gun boards are you a member of that this question doesn't get beat to death? It's a lot easier to answer the age old Colt question by simply posting a "stupid chart" that gives them a good idea as to weather or not the rifle is worth it!

Fourthly, you will not hear me say that Noveske is not worth the money... I've personally owned 2. They are nice rifles.... but most peole getting into the AR-15 crowd have NEVER heard of them. Noveske DOES NOT have the same resale value as a Colt across the board in main stream gun culture.

Colt is the biggest, best, mass produced AR-15 on the market bar none! Most LEO agencies only allow certain name brands and Colt is at the top of that list! The so called better manufacturers that you refer to are high end custom shop AR's.... and here's a big surprise, they don't even show them on the "stupid chart!"

If someone posted "are Ruger rifles worth the money" you probably wouldn't come into their thread yelling "Ed Brown makes a better bolt rifle," the original topic was weather or not Colt was worth the money.... and I submit "YES!"

- Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post

I posted that "stupid chart" to show the original poster where other manufacturers stand... He asked a question. Go back and reread the original question. He didn't even ask if Colt was better than brand X, he asked if it was a tool or a toy... he asked if anyone of us actually owned one. He asked for our opinion on these rifles, how better to answer his question than to look at that "stupid chart"?

That "stupid chart" says all kinds of things to me. First off it says that there are a few manufacturers that don't have the same quality control that Colt has. They cut corners by using sub par parts...

Secondly it says to me that you get what you pay for. Colt has built a reputation by providing a quality firearm for several decades...

Thirdly that "stupid chart" is an awesome reference for the uninformed consumer at a glance. How many gun boards are you a member of that this question doesn't get beat to death? It's a lot easier to answer the age old Colt question by simply posting a "stupid chart" that gives them a good idea as to weather or not the rifle is worth it!

Fourthly, you will not hear me say that Noveske is not worth the money... I've personally owned 2. They are nice rifles.... but most peole getting into the AR-15 crowd have NEVER heard of them. http://youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM DOES NOT have the same resale value as a Colt across the board in main stream gun culture.

Colt is the biggest, best, mass produced AR-15 on the market bar none! Most LEO agencies only allow certain name brands and Colt is at the top of that list! The so called better manufacturers that you refer to are high end custom shop AR's.... and here's a big surprise, they don't even show them on the "stupid chart!"

If someone posted "are Ruger rifles worth the money" you probably wouldn't come into their thread yelling "Ed Brown makes a better bolt rifle," the original topic was weather or not Colt was worth the money.... and I submit "YES!"

- Clint
    I own over 20 AR 15's. I run over 10K of 5.56 a year though my rifles, not to mention the other calibers. Colts are not the best shooters I own but are at the top 4 or 5 as far as reliablity goes when run hard.

The chart over at M4carbine may not say it all......As a Gov. employee I can tell you that purchases are made to the lowest bidder.....hard to get the best that way. Regaurdless of what the manufacture say they do or comply with.

http://www.lwrifles.com/history.php

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/

http://www.alexanderarms.com/

http://www.sabredefence.com/

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

http://www.lewismachine.net/

aksalcha.... I don't understand what a lion attacking a cape buffalo has to do with this coversation, and I don't understand why you included it inside my quote, but I digress....

- Clint

The problem is, alot of those corners, are not needed. Thats something the chart, doesn't say, and it leads people to buy weapons thinking they're getting some vastly superior gun when they're not.

No actually, Colt has a rep for doing stupid stuff, like different sized pin holes, milling receivers to make it difficult to install sears ect. And the chart isn't a awesome reference, but actually a misguided one. I'd rather repeatedly answer questions, than simply let new shooters, look at a chart, and spend money.

Fourthly, you will not hear me say that Noveske is not worth the money... I've personally owned 2. They are nice rifles.... but most peole getting into the AR-15 crowd have NEVER heard of them. Noveske DOES NOT have the same resale value as a Colt across the board in main stream gun culture.
    Actually, Noveske, will always have a higher resale value than a Colt Always.

Now joe smith might not buy a Noveske, because he doesn't know the name, but that doesn't ever devalue the rifle.

- Clint
    Colt is neither the largest, most mass produced, or best AR on the market. They make a good gun, but for the price, you can buy better.

Yes, lots of LEO agencies allow only certan brands of weapons. APD only allows glocks or 1911's. Yet I dont think anyone is going to say Glock makes the best. Rules, are not always made by who makes the best weapon, but rather money.

Noveske, LWRC, LMT and Saber Defence all make better weapons than Colt. They're also in the same price range.

Are Colt weapons worth the price? No. They're great guns, but for the ammount they want, you can have a better weapon. If they dropped the price 2-300 so they sat between Bushmaster, and Oly, and the true upper tier weapons, then they would be worth the money. But if you're buying a 1400 weapon. You deserve a 1400 weapon. A Colt, is not a 1400 weapon.

I gave my Son an H-BAR from Hell years ago when he decide to try over the course NM. After putting a CLE upper on the lower it actually became competitive. Of the lowers that I've seen, I have to give it to Rock River. I just can't think of any complete AR's that I would want to buy. I built an M-4 for my Son, from scratch and he has no complaints. I've got 3 lowers that I machined and they have worked vary well. All in all, I like scratch builds better than complete. With complete, you in up dumping parts and putting in what you want anyway. I'm a strong advocate of Accuracy Speaks triggers, the JP are OK. Once you have a good trigger on one you are not going to be happy until all have good triggers.

Alaskacajun: Thanks for posting that link, always good to get insight from others!

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
    Yes, lots of LEO agencies allow only certan brands of weapons. APD only allows glocks or 1911's. Yet I dont think anyone is going to say Glock makes the best.
    Glocks DO make the best!

Not sure why this is turning into such a heated battle. The thread question was, "Colt M4 carbine experiences... anyone have one of these? Pros/con? Toy or tool?"

I own one. Pros- it functions flawlessly and was worth every penny. Cons- there are some non-standard specs on some parts that you need to be aware of if you plan to change out parts with aftermarket or hang a bunch of HSLDTBN gadgetry on it. Definitely NOT a toy; a Colt is very much a reliable tool.

What more is there to say?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

1. Colt 6920s are not $1400
    2. Colt 6920s are built on the same line as M4s. With a few exceptions, they are the same gun and meet all the military QC standards.
    3. I can attest I have never seen a defect in a 6920 and I have seen since before the ban over 400 of them plus.

I deal with a lot of military guys who have more than one tour. All of them love Colts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast